Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 325 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
David
Jays
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Honey
    Topics:

Hopkins, being 82 years old, and not having a GG (outside a lifetime achievement award) or a SAG, would make it hard for voters to skip over him as it could be his last chance to win those.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

King and the screenplay (the latter being the panned aspect of the movie) are #3 in the predictions center. I find that overconfident.

Nothing about the movie that came 2nd at TIFF and has 80 on MC (which is overwhelmingly positive, like it or not) is “panned”. Jojo Rabbit was the last winner in that category, and by all accounts ONIM is better than it, so it makes perfect sense to have it in. King has a lot of industry love, and a lot of momentum, it’s completely reasonable to expect her to break through like Jenkins/Gerwig/Peele did.

rubbish

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Nothing about the movie that came 2nd at TIFF and has 80 on MC (which is overwhelmingly positive, like it or not) is “panned”. Jojo Rabbit was the last winner in that category, and by all accounts ONIM is better than it, so it makes perfect sense to have it in. King has a lot of industry love, and a lot of momentum, it’s completely reasonable to expect her to break through like Jenkins/Gerwig/Peele did.

I currently have it for screenplay and picture, but idk about director though. Most of the people who saw it said the direction wasn’t flashy or special and it mainly felt like a play on the screen. I do like ONIM chances of getting into picture if there is 10 nominees this year, but then again, I can see this missing and just getting screenplay.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Here’s my lineup for Director as of right now:

David Fincher- Mank

Chloe Zhao- Nomadland

Shaka King- Judas and the Black Messiah

Paul Greengrass- News of the World

Aaron Sorkin- The Trial of the Chicago 7 (don’t really know about this one)

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Not in 2018. Bale won Critics Choice, Colman won BAFTA/Oscar and Supporting Actress was all over the place. The only sweep was Ali.

Not to mention the acting sweeps of 2019/20 likely happened because of a shortened year.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Chile That was blatant sarcasm because Kaluuya definitely does NOT fit the mold of a Best Actor winner

Oh, my bad. I thought he was being serious.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Chile That was blatant sarcasm because Kaluuya definitely does NOT fit the mold of a Best Actor winner

Oh, my bad. I thought they were being serious.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

They really need to reduce the slots for Best Picture. I really hate when awards extend their slots, you’re allowing mediocrity to get nominated.

They don’t HAVE to nominate mediocrity. There’s more than enough quality to justify extended slots. It’s not the slots that’s the problem, it’s the voters who indulge in middlebrow nonsense like The Blind Side. We need more voters with good taste.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I don’t get the overconfidence in One Night in Miami. Literally everyone Ik that has seen it didn’t like it and the Twitter reactions and various outlets’ user reviews indicate the same. It’ll probably get Picture since it has 10 slots, but Leslie Odom Jr. is the only one I have confidence in (main categories wise).

For one, it was a runner-up for People’s Choice at TIFF. Those films almost always do very well in Oscar nominations. And for another, the reviews are extremely good so far. At least very least it seems very likely to make Picture, Screenplay, Supporting Actor, and Song.

I do think people are going overboard predicting it for Lead Actor (even if Ben-Adir frauds there he’ll be snubbed) and Director (there’s no way we’ll have two POC females when we’ve never had more than one White female nom in a year), but the other categories are perfectly reasonable.

And how is the Screenplay in any way being panned? That’s such a baseless comment.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

They don’t HAVE to nominate mediocrity. There’s more than enough quality to justify extended slots. It’s not the slots that’s the problem, it’s the voters who indulge in middlebrow nonsense.

Middlebrow nonsense like Ford v. Ferrari.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Hopkins, being 82 years old, and not having a GG (outside a lifetime achievement award) or a SAG, would make it hard for voters to skip over him as it could be his last chance to win those.

I just hope his reaction is as iconic as Glenn’s winning her first Globe.

FYC:

Antonio Banderas and Asier Etxeandia, Dolor y Gloria (Best Actor/Supporting Actor)
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe (Best Actress)
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren, The Good Liar (Best Actor/Actress)

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

I love how Chloe Zhao is being posited as the underdog down-to-earth indie filmmaker when she’s literally the daughter of a billionaire. No hate though, rich kids can be great artists (it could be argued that because they’ve had every privilege in life they’re more like to be). Travis Knight also makes good movies, and he’s getting his dad to bankroll Laika- they’re keeping stop motion alive even though they can’t make a dollar in profits.

rubbish

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Would be hilarious if people kept fighting between Kaluuya and Hopkins and then Ahmed sweeps in and takes this…

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

there’s no way we’ll have two POC females when we’ve never had more than one White female nom in a year

It’s depressing how true this is

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 325 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.