Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
BetteDavis
Nicco
GregSprinkles
  • Profile picture
    Sab227
    Topics:

I don’t get their last weird choice to shoot “Macbeth” casting two 65 years old actors such as Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand. They seem to be too old for that roles.

I remember reading something on indiewire that they intentionally cast actors in their 60s because they wanted the perspective of an older couple who couldn’t have children and decided to take the throne as a way to fulfill themselves.

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

Imagine still having Da 5 Bloods in your Best Picture predictions lineup. lol.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

Profile picture
    _m4gnu5_
    Topics:

I remember reading something on indiewire that they intentionally cast actors in their 60s because they wanted the perspective of an older couple who couldn’t have children and decided to take the throne as a way to fulfill themselves.

The play refers to a child that the two had that had died; I don’t see why they would need to go to the extra effort when they could just expand on that. Not that it matters, I think Washington and McDormand were cast because they are fantastic actors.

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

The play refers to a child that the two had that had died; I don’t see why they would need to go to the extra effort when they could just expand on that. Not that it matters, I think Washington and McDormand were cast because they are fantastic actors.

I doubt they’ve added anything to the text. They’ll likely just use this perspective as subtext.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

You can’t say someone is a lock for a win when literally nobody’s seen her movie.

It’s Viola Davis. Everyone is obsessed with the idea of her getting a Best Actress Oscar. But she doesn’t have the track record in film to win. She’s made 1 successful film as a lead. She’s a theater Turn tv actress.

The only way she wins number 2 if her film gets a bunch of noms including BP.

Profile picture
    Nicco
    Topics:

Do you believe in a Sean Penn’s comeback for his third oscar someday?

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

Unless the Academy rules that it’s ineligible, I think Hamilton could be a major player this year in several categories.  Every household will be watching it, most voters probably already saw the show on Broadway, it’s a worldwide phenomenon.  It’s going to get watched, it’s going to be loved.  I think it could be a powerful presence in this race.

Which brings around the question…. what categories will this be eligible in?  Will it’s “screenplay” be eligible? Costumes? Direction?  And also what performances could also be pulled out of the show?

Something like this would be fairly unprecedented and would certainly lead to an interesting year.

Profile picture
    The One And Only of Gold Derby.
    Topics:

I think a lot of Hamilton’s success will depend on how the rest of the year plays out. It’ll definitely get some Globe noms, but I’m okay waiting before adding it to my Oscar predictions.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

She’s made 1 successful film as a lead.

Probably because 50 year old dark skinned black women don’t get the chance be the lead of a film as often as they should. How many films has been in as the lead period, 5? (Help, Lila & Eve, Custody, Fences, Widows)

Viola is still a Triple Crown winner (fun-fact: she’s the only TCA winner to start their awards run in the 21st century) and is absolute bait-fest of a role with Oscar-clip after Oscar-clip.

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

I think there’s definitely a narrative for Viola to win lead.  Only one black woman has ever won Best Actress and it was nearly 20 years ago.  She’s also playing a real life person, with singing, and a role that will show her range.

If the film even somewhat delivers, I think she could easily pull a Renee Zellweger and win.

Profile picture
    Nicco
    Topics:

Question of the day : do you feel more realistic a first director win for Paul Thomas Anderson or a second for Martin Scorsese?

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Question of the day : do you feel more realistic a first director win for Paul Thomas Anderson or a second for Martin Scorsese?

I’m sure Scorsese is getting one soon, one would think they would like to give him another Oscar before he retires/dies. PTA is a lot younger and still has a long career ahead so I am sure he is going to win eventually, maybe even with his next film. In both cases, it will ultimately depend on the competition.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

As I said in another thread, Scorsese (he may very well get one for his next, Killers of The Flower Moon).

There’s a lot of love and passion for him as evidenced by that incredible standing ovation at the Oscars in the middle of Bong Joon-Ho’s Directing win speech.

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

Scorsese will get a second one in the coming years.

PTA should’ve won for There Will Be Blood. Honestly, There Will Be Blood should’ve swept that year, including BP.

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

Scorsese will get a second one in the coming years. PTA should’ve won for There Will Be Blood. Honestly, There Will Be Blood should’ve swept that year, including BP.

No country for old men is, imo, one of the best BP winners ever, and I still agree that TWBB should have won picture and director.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.