Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 513 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
diego
Magnus
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

I can only see two scenarios right now:

– The Oscars happen in April-June and Netflix dominates all categories.

– The Oscars are canceled and the ‘22 awards have an temporarily expanded amount of nominees to cover both years.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

I *really* hope they do a streaming only year with a digital ceremony.  There are more than enough films and it would allow for some smaller movies that otherwise wouldn’t be in the conversation to get recognized.

If that happens. I suspect that Tenet, Dune, The French Dispatch, West Side Story, and any other major studio film will likely push their release dates far into 2021.  Small films like The Father, Minari, Ammonite, etc. might get picked up by a streaming platform and contend this year alongside Netflix’s strong slate of films.

They should create a one year only digital festival in November or December to show these films and create digital Oscar buzz. It would be a fascinating experiment.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Presumably not eligible for awards as Hamilton isn’t, but Spike Lee’s filmed version of American Utopia is opening TIFF:

https://tiff.net/events/american-utopia

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Presumably not eligible for awards as Hamilton isn’t, but Spike Lee’s filmed version of American Utopia is opening TIFF: https://tiff.net/events/american-utopia

HBO is distributing so maybe they will campaign for a couple of nominations at next year’s Emmys, but they won’t even try at the Oscars.

On the topic of TIFF, I wonder which films, other than Ammonite, could surge as contenders. From the announced line-up, Another Round and Concrete Cowboy are the ones that I am most interested in.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Some major awards bodies (albeit TV) like BAFTA are having a closed ceremony this year:

“In accordance with current restrictions, both Awards will take place as closed studio, socially-distanced shows, with nominees invited to accept their awards virtually.” (from their website) and the show will be broadcast as normal on BBC.

If BAFTA can do this for TV, then I can’t see why they can’t do the same for film next year. And therefore the same applies to the Oscars. I don’t see why any of the awards should be postponed next year, if bodies like BAFTA have taken initiative this early.

FYC:

Antonio Banderas and Asier Etxeandia, Dolor y Gloria (Best Actor/Supporting Actor)
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe (Best Actress)
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren, The Good Liar (Best Actor/Actress)

Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

The Oscars will be canceled. That’s the prediction now that Tenet is off the board. Does anybody want to see Trolls World Tour sweep the ceremony?

and what about it

Chromatica and Fetch the Bolt Cutters AOTYs yeah

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

I don’t think Tenet is off the board. Warner Bros. just took it off the release schedule because they will now be doing a staggered release. Whether or not they should, they will release Tenet by the end of the year for sure.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

The Oscars will be canceled. That’s the prediction now that Tenet is off the board. Does anybody want to see Trolls World Tour sweep the ceremony?

I mean it’s not like Tenet was the only eligible movie this year anyways skjds (or that it was going to be that big at the Oscars).

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

Tenet cancelled ! Such good news

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Tenet cancelled ! Such good news

You do realize it’s eventually going to come out right?

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

You do realize it’s eventually going to come out right?

i sadly am aware

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

Tenet probably wasn’t going to be an Oscar contender outside of technicals anyway.  It just didn’t look like the kind of thing the Oscars would necessarily go for.  Same with Dune.  Both will probably be really good, just not something for the Oscars.

They’ll probably hold it for next summer.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Tenet probably wasn’t going to be an Oscar contender outside of technicals anyway. It just didn’t look like the kind of thing the Oscars would necessarily go for. Same with Dune. Both will probably be really good, just not something for the Oscars. They’ll probably hold it for next summer.

Inception wasn’t the kind of thing that they typically go for either though, but when a film has enough critical and commercial support it can make it, even if it’s primarily action.

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

Inception wasn’t the kind of thing that they typically go for either though, but when a film has enough critical and commercial support it can make it, even if it’s primarily action.

I don’t think Nolan can pull off another Inception and his track record isn’t perfect with the Academy.  He’s only had two BP nominees and one was an Oscar bait war film.  He also isn’t really a critic’s darling either (his films usually sit in the low to mid 70’s on metacritic) and general audiences seem fairly confused and mixed on his films.

I think Tenet will be good, but I think it’s Oscar performance will be similar to Interstellar.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I don’t think Nolan can pull off another Inception and his track record isn’t perfect with the Academy. He’s only had two BP nominees and one was an Oscar bait war film. He also isn’t really a critic’s darling either (his films usually sit in the low to mid 70’s on metacritic) and general audiences seem fairly confused and mixed on his films. I think Tenet will be good, but I think it’s Oscar performance will be similar to Interstellar.

General audiences adore him. The only film of his in recent memory that they were mixed on with as Interstellar. People were confused by Inception, but it was still wildly popular among movie goers regardless.

And he does pretty well with critics. Only two of his films ever scored below 80% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.