Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 513 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
diego
_m4gnu5_
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

I think it will be good, but won’t be among Netflix priorities. The priorities will be: 1. Mank 2. The Trial of Chicago 7 3. Da 5 Bloods 4. Hillbilly Elegy 5. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Da 5 Bloods is DOA. When will people realize this?

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Trailer for Judas and The Black Messiah is also out today:

https://youtu.be/sSjtGqRXQ9Y

I will say that Daniel Kaluuya seems like a real contender now.

Nah, maybe now a bit of hype from certain parts of Film Twitter, but I don’t think it will go far awards season wise, especially in a packed Lead Actor category season this year (Lindo, Hopkins, Oldman, Hanks, Murray, Redmayne, etc..)

Profile picture
    Villeneuve
    Topics:

im thinking of ending things looks great! That cast is fire, and the book is also pretty 🤯

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Nah, maybe now a bit of hype from certain parts of Film Twitter, but I don’t think it will go far awards season wise, especially in a packed Lead Actor category season this year (Lindo, Hopkins, Oldman, Hanks, Murray, Redmayne, etc..)

Actually, I am sure this will be Warner Brothers’ main push for this season. If they want to win best picture or, at least, be in contention, then they will obviously campaign for the film that touches on relevant social issues and not Tenet or Dune, both from genres the Academy tends to ignore.

They are also going for an early 2021 release which means they want this movie to be in everyone’s mind when Oscar voting comes.

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

The trailers for “I’m Thinking of Ending Things” and “Judas and the Black Messiah” both dropping today to big buzz has me so nostalgic for what would normally be the start of the fall movie season and the awards race picking up. “Ending Things” looks like a visual treat and having read the book, the movie could certainly be divisive but have passionate fans. “Judas” looks timely, intense and powerful, and I wonder what the release plan is (maybe in theaters by February to make this year’s Oscars cut) because Daniel Kaluuya looks phenomenal and I can see this being LaKeith Stanfield’s big ticket to the show. With all of these delays and so many movies with trailers being out for months now, it is exciting when we get a single day with two major trailers for releases we can get excited about, whether we know they’re coming soon or if they’ll be among some of the first movies we see back in theaters whenever that may be!

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

My thoughts:

I think “I’m Thinking of Ending Things” will be mainly be a critics push. Screenplay and maybe, depending on how weak the category becomes, Supporting Actress are still possible. Netflix won’t have this as a priority which is definitely not ideal for this year’s awards chances, especially with the extra acquisitions they’ve made recently.

”Judas and the Black Messiah” looks like a legitimate contender but I’m still wary of its potential as we don’t know how/when it will release. Reminds me a bit of “Widows” and that didn’t get anywhere because of the box office, but this film might not have that problem with the COVID-19 situation. I think Kaluuya is definitely a contender but not sure if he’ll go Lead or Supporting. If they pull a Ford v Ferrari and have them both lead, that could backfire, even if it’s the right thing to do.

Either way, excited to see both!

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Succession
    FYC: Watchmen

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    David Holmes
    Topics:

i don’t see redmayne or anybody from chicago 7 as a threat in lead, i think chicago 7 will probably get a supporting nom, but other than that i just see the film being a screenplay and maybe picture (similar to molly’s game). I can definitely see daniel kaluuya being a threat and a major contender to get nominated and maybe even win this year though.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Stanfield is a better actor than him.
    And I think he may be the one among the two who gets a nomination (Lead or Supporting i don’t know) if it does well.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I like the sound of two-time Oscar nominee Daniel Kaluuya (who, btw, should have been nominated for “Widows”!).

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    _m4gnu5_
    Topics:

I like the sound of two-time Oscar nominee Daniel Kaluuya (who, btw, should have been nominated for “Widows”!).

Widows should’ve gotten 3 acting nominations (Davis, Debicki, Kaluuya)!

Profile picture
    David Holmes
    Topics:

Stanfield is a better actor than him. And I think he may be the one among the two who gets a nomination (Lead or Supporting i don’t know) if it does well.

Stanfield is really good and he is definitely among the best young actors working right now, but i don’t think he’s better than kaluuya. kaluuya has proved his range with films like get out, widows, bp, sicario,  and gave a great bone chilling monologue at the end of his black mirror episode. kaluuya honestly should’ve been nominated for widows over rockwell in 2019 (i would take anybody over rockwell that year). and it looks like they’re going to run lakeith in lead and daniel in supporting bc the film is taking a look at fred’s rise from the eyes of lakeith’s character. so kaluuya is definitely a front runner for whichever category he campaigns in, but i do think he has a better chance at winning in supporting though. daniel looks like he has multiple oscar scenes just from a minute long trailer, so lets see what happens.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Stanfield is really good and he is definitely among the best young actors working right now, but i don’t think he’s better than kaluuya. kaluuya has proved his range with films like get out, widows, bp, sicario, and gave a great bone chilling monologue at the end of his black mirror episode. kaluuya honestly should’ve been nominated for widows over rockwell in 2019 (i would take anybody over rockwell that year). and it looks like they’re going to run lakeith in lead and daniel in supporting bc the film is taking a look at fred’s rise from the eyes of lakeith’s character. so kaluuya is definitely a front runner for whichever category he campaigns in, but i do think he has a better chance at winning in supporting though. daniel looks like he has multiple oscar scenes just from a minute long trailer, so lets see what happens.

Not to mention Queen and Slim, in which he was excellent.

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

Rooting for Jeremy Strong to grab his first Oscar nomination with The Trial of the Chicago 7. Fingers crossed

2021 Oscar FYC: Glenn Close, Jeremy Strong, Vanessa Kirby, Delroy Lindo, Daniel Kaluuya

Profile picture
    David Holmes
    Topics:

Rooting for Jeremy Strong to grab his first Oscar nomination with The Trial of the Chicago 7. Fingers crossed

I do think it’s probably going to be between strong or cohen or maybe even yahya depending on the size of his role in the film.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.