Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 513 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
diego
_m4gnu5_
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

French Exit is closing NYFF

https://deadline.com/2020/08/french-exit-world-premiere-closing-night-of-new-york-film-festival-1203010310/

“tour de force collaboration”

“career best performance”

Pfeiffer is coming, whew.

Profile picture
    _m4gnu5_
    Topics:

French Exit is closing NYFF https://deadline.com/2020/08/french-exit-world-premiere-closing-night-of-new-york-film-festival-1203010310/ “tour de force collaboration” “career best performance” Pfeiffer is coming, whew.

I sure hope so.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Pfeiffer is coming, whew.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Pfeiffer
    2. Davis
    3. Adams
    4. McDormand
    5. Hudson

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I’m still not buying West Side Story as a contender at all. It really just seems like a Globes thing, though with Ansel Elgort being radioactive right now, inevitable controversy over the leads’ age gap, the fact it’s a remake that no one asked for and doesn’t add anything new, and a much more exciting/socially relevant musical adaptation coming from Netflix, I’m not sure it’ll even make a splash there.

Honestly, In the Heights being pushed to next year is the best thing that could have happened to West Side Story. Though if coronavirus switches things around and they end up in the same eligibility period again, WSS is toast.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I’m still not buying West Side Story as a contender at all. It really just seems like a Globes thing, though with Ansel Elgort being radioactive right now, inevitable controversy over the leads’ age gap, the fact it’s a remake that no one asked for and doesn’t add anything new, and a much more exciting/socially relevant musical adaptation coming from Netflix, I’m not sure it’ll even make a splash there. Honestly, In the Heights being pushed to next year is the best thing that could have happened to West Side Story. Though if coronavirus switches things around and they end up in the same eligibility period again, WSS is toast.

These are the exact reasons why I’m doubting West Side Story.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

I’m still not buying West Side Story as a contender at all. It really just seems like a Globes thing, though with Ansel Elgort being radioactive right now, inevitable controversy over the leads’ age gap, the fact it’s a remake that no one asked for and doesn’t add anything new, and a much more exciting/socially relevant musical adaptation coming from Netflix, I’m not sure it’ll even make a splash there.

Honestly, In the Heights being pushed to next year is the best thing that could have happened to West Side Story. Though if coronavirus switches things around and they end up in the same eligibility period again, WSS is toast.

All of this and it’s the type of film that needs to make money to succeed. It’s a $100m budgeted big musical from Spielberg at Fox. He won’t allow it to go to steaming and if it flops commercially it’s got too many strikes against it to overcome and will also give incentive for Disney not to invest into adult driven content for Fox (“if Spielberg + loved IP can’t be a hit, nothing will” is how they are will see it)

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

I knew Michelle was coming for blood this year. I heard from several that she gives a fantastic performance.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I’m still not buying West Side Story as a contender at all. It really just seems like a Globes thing, though with Ansel Elgort being radioactive right now, inevitable controversy over the leads’ age gap, the fact it’s a remake that no one asked for and doesn’t add anything new, and a much more exciting/socially relevant musical adaptation coming from Netflix, I’m not sure it’ll even make a splash there. Honestly, In the Heights being pushed to next year is the best thing that could have happened to West Side Story. Though if coronavirus switches things around and they end up in the same eligibility period again, WSS is toast.

Disagree for a few reasons. The first is you say this version adds nothing new, when the team have already made it clear that it won’t be the same as the first film, as they’re adapting parts of the stage show that weren’t done in the film proper, Tony Kushner is updating the book, and they’re actually having people of the correct race portraying the persons of color in the story.

As for the comparison with The Prom, that show came and went on Broadway and it’ll come and go on film. It’s not gonna steal West Side Story’s thunder if they’re released around the same time. West Side Story is one of the most beloved pieces of theatre ever, The Prom doesn’t scrape the top thousand. While it would provide much more completion than The Prom, In the Heights also doesn’t have anywhere near as much popularity as WSS, and the latter’s new film is generating much more interest in theatre goers than either of these other adaptations.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I wasn’t sure about French Exit getting enough visibility to get Micheke Pfeffer a nom, but since it’s closing NYFF I guess that won’t be a problem. Besides, wins like Renee have proven that you don’t need any other Oscar noms to do well in Best Actress: just a strong performance.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

At this point I’m doubting West Side Story too, but there’s so few major contenders this year with studio backing that I feel like we really shouldn’t underestimate a huge movie musical remake like this. Eslecially Steven Spielberg, who reliably gets his films into GF categories. If it does get nominated for Oscars they’ll just ignore Elgort and call it a day.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

All of this and it’s the type of film that needs to make money to succeed. It’s a $100m budgeted big musical from Spielberg at Fox. He won’t allow it to go to steaming and if it flops commercially it’s got too many strikes against it to overcome and will also give incentive for Disney not to invest into adult driven content for Fox (“if Spielberg + loved IP can’t be a hit, nothing will” is how they are will see it)

That last reason is one downside to Disney buying Fox IMO.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

This one is probably like 10th on Netflix’s priority list, but anyway the trailer for The Devil All the Time is out:

https://youtu.be/EIzazUv2gtI

Profile picture
    tsc
    Topics:

“Never Rarely Sometimes Always” can surprise at the Oscars?

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Can someone who’s on the AW forum post the August Poll results regarding the six major categories, (Picture,Directing,Lead Acting, and Supporting Acting) please???

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.