Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 488 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
diego
Magnus
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

PICTURE
    Dune (Warner Bros.)
    The French Dispatch (Searchlight)
    Hillbilly Elegy (Netflix)
    Mank (Netflix)
    News of the World (Universal)
    Nomadland (Searchlight)
    On the Rocks (Apple TV+)
    Tenet (Warner Bros.)
    The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)
    West Side Story (20th Century)

DIRECTOR
    Wes Anderson – The French Dispatch (Searchlight)
    David Fincher – Mank (Netflix)
    Christopher Nolan – Tenet (Warner Bros.)
    Denis Villeneuve – Dune (Warner Bros.)
    Chloe Zhao – Nomadland (Searchlight)

ACTOR
    Tom Hanks – News of the World (Universal)
    Anthony Hopkins – The Father (SPC)
    Daniel Kaluuya – Judas and the Black Messiah (Warner Bros.)
    Delroy Lindo – Da 5 Bloods  (Netflix)
    Gary Oldman – Mank (Netflix)

ACTRESS
    Viola Davis – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)
    Jennifer Hudson – Respect (MGM)
    Frances McDormand – Nomadland (Searchlight)
    Michelle Pfeiffer – French Exit (SPC)
    Kate Winslet- Ammonite (NEON)

SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Yayha Abdul-Mateen II – The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)
    Chadwick Boseman – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)
    Sacha Baron Cohen- The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)
    Bill Murray  – On the Rocks  (Apple TV+)
    David Strathairn – Nomadland (Searchlight)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Glenn Close – Hillbilly Elegy (Netflix)
    Olivia Colman – The Father (SPC)
    Ariana DeBose – West Side Story (20th Century)
    Saoirse Ronan – Ammonite (NEON)
    Amanda Seyfried – Mank (Netflix)

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    Dune (Warner Bros.)
    The Father (SPC)
    Nomadland (Searchlight)

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    Mank (Netflix)
    On the Rocks (Apple TV+)
    Soul (Disney)

CINEMATOGRAPHY
    Dune (Warner Bros.)
    Mank (Netflix)
    Nomadland (Searchlight)
    Tenet (Warner Bros.)

FILM EDITING
    Dune (Warner Bros.)
    Mank (Netflix)
    Tenet (Warner Bros.)

PRODUCTION DESIGN
    Dune (Warner Bros.)
    The Eternals (Disney)
    Tenet (Warner Bros.)

COSTUME DESIGN
    Dune (Warner Bros.)
    The Eternals (Disney)
    Respect (Universal)

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
    Dune (Warner Bros.)
    The Eyes of Tammy Faye (Searchlight)
    Mank (Netflix)

ORIGINAL SCORE
    Alexandre Desplat – The French Dispatch (Searchlight)
    Ludwig Göransson – Tenet (Warner Bros.)
    Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross – Mank (Netflix)
    Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross – Soul (Disney)
    Hans Zimmer – Dune (Warner Bros.)

VISUAL EFFECTS
    Black Widow (Disney)
    Dune (Warner Bros.)
    The Eternals (Disney)
    Tenet (Warner Bros.)
    Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros.)

SONG
    Loyal Brave True – Mulan (Disney)
    Husavik – Eurovision: The Story of Fire Saga (Netflix)
    No Time to Die – No Time to Die (Universal)
    The Other Side – Trolls: World Tour (Universal)
    TBA – The Prom

SOUND
    Dune (Warner Bros.)
    The Eternals (Disney)
    No Time to Die (Universal)
    Tenet (Warner Bros.)

ANIMATION
    Connected (Sony)
    Onward (Disney)
    Over the Moon (Netflix)
    Pinocchio (Netflix)
    Soul (Disney)

DOCUMENTARY
    Boys State (Apple TV+)
    Crip Camp (Netflix)
    Dick Johnson is Dead (Netflix)
    Rebuilding Paradise (Apple TV+)
    Welcome to Chechnya (HBO Films)

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Ted Lasso

Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

People who are predicting West Side Story will do really well at the Oscars: I genuinely do not see what would make a remake of West Side Story more urgent than Da 5 Bloods. And to think Da 5 Bloods won’t get a single tech nominations makes me think some people want the movie to fail. Please keep your emotions out of this.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

People who are predicting West Side Story will do really well at the Oscars: I genuinely do not see what would make a remake of West Side Story more urgent than Da 5 Bloods. And to think Da 5 Bloods won’t get a single tech nominations makes me think some people want the movie to fail. Please keep your emotions out of this.

What technicals do you think it can get into? I’m genuinely curious because even BlacKkKlansman which was way stronger than Da 5 Bloods only managed to get editing and score outside the main categories.

Delroy Lindo is the film’s strongest bet at a nomination and perhaps a win. But, unless Netflix makes Da 5 Bloods their top priority I don’t think it’s realistic to say the movie will do well in the technical categories.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

What technicals do you think it can get into? I’m genuinely curious because even BlacKkKlansman which was way stronger than Da 5 Bloods only managed to get editing and score outside the main categories. Delroy Lindo is the film’s strongest bet at a nomination and perhaps a win. But, unless Netflix makes Da 5 Bloods their top priority I don’t think it’s realistic to say the movie will do well in the technical categories.

I think it could get an editing nom again. Probably not score, since that was one of the main complaints a lot of people had with the film (even though I really liked it).

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Also, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross won’t be double nominated: they’re not at John Williams/Hans Zimmer/Thomas Newman status yet. Soul’s nomination ceiling is Best Animated Feature and Best Original Screenplay, and the latter will only happen if the film reviews as well as Inside Out or better.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

What technicals do you think it can get into? I’m genuinely curious because even BlacKkKlansman which was way stronger than Da 5 Bloods only managed to get editing and score outside the main categories. Delroy Lindo is the film’s strongest bet at a nomination and perhaps a win. But, unless Netflix makes Da 5 Bloods their top priority I don’t think it’s realistic to say the movie will do well in the technical categories.

I think it could get into Cinematography, Sound and Editing.

Profile picture
    Magnus
    Topics:

I think the best chance Da 5 Bloods has as a tech is Score.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I’m not predicting either to do entirely well, but WSS isn’t just a remake. It’s a remake of a BP winner by one of the most beloved/celebrated directors of all time. The Ansel situation definitely might hurt its awards prospects though. Da 5 Bloods just feels like it has a lot working against it right now. Audience reactions weren’t good, it was released a couple months ago and seems like it has already been forgotten, and Netflix may have other films they views as bigger priorities – Mank, Trial of Chicago 7, Hillybilly Elegy, Ma Rainey, etc. It’s also not like every one of Spike Lee’s films have been hits with the Academy.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

What does West Side Story have to do with Da 5 Bloods?

Its makes perfect sense to predict that latter won’t do too well, cause it is was released so early, it didn’t get a great response, outside of Lindo, it’s buzz has died down, and Netflix is gonna have a lot of other films on their plate this year. The more hits they get, then the worse things look for Da 5 Bloods.

Predicting the film to not do well doesn’t mean people want it to fail, there’s just clearly several noticeable factors up against it.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Nobody wants the film to fail. I just think that all of the buzz for it has died down and it will continue to do so once Netflix starts to release more of their contenders. I still think Lindo is a strong candidate for a lead actor nom, but other than that I don’t think it will nab any other noms.

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

I think the COVID19 pandemic will change the campaigns and the chances of many film festivals movies to get a distributor – it might well be the year of big budget productions with a distribution deal already set. Movies like TENET and WEST SIDE STORY need to sell a lot of tickets given their budgets, but I think there’s a lot of good will toward these projects since they can bring audiences back to movies… Still, I’ve my doubts about WSS Christmas release and I can see it being delayed and not qualify for the Oscars (because they will hope to bring it all – money and award prestige)
    DA 5 BLOODS will get Best Picture, Director, Actor (Lindo), Screenplay, Editing and Score for sure. At this point of the cinematic year, it’s the best movie and Netflix knows it.
    NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS might have a nice shot in acting and Screenplay (the actresses delivered acclaimed breakthrough performances and the AMPAS always goes for a newbie in female acting categories) and it’s a movie that has already made an impact in the film fest circuit that only needs a small limited release.
    And pay attention to BRUISED – Halle Berry’s directorial debut – since it is said to feature an amazing performance from Berry. In fact, given the #OscarSoWhite controversy I could see 3 black actresses nominated in lead (call me crazy) if their work is, in fact, outstanding: Viola Davis, Jennifer Hudson and Halle Berry.

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

DA 5 BLOODS will get Best Picture, Director, Actor (Lindo), Screenplay, Editing and Score for sure. At this point of the cinematic year, it’s the best movie and Netflix knows it.

Its definitely not getting those nominations “for sure”. As I said, it has a lot going against it right now, and the only reason it’s even in contention for that title is because it’s the only big movie of the year to come out right now. And that’s not a good thing, cause it means it’s going to keep getting overshadowed by the later releases of larger contenders.

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

Its definitely not getting those nominations “for sure”. As I said, it has a lot going against it right now, and the only reason it’s even in contention for that title is because it’s the only big movie of the year to come out right now. And that’s not a good thing, cause it means it’s going to keep getting overshadowed by the later releases of larger contenders.

Maybe I exaggerated with the “for sure”, but I’m pretty confident about this one. I’m expecting it to follow the same path as Woody Allen’s MIDNIGHT IN PARIS awardswise – a Summer released awards vehicle for a well known director. Right now, I’m one of those who’s grateful for DA 5 BLOODS existing in the middle of a pandemic: thanks Netflix

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Maybe I exaggerated with the “for sure”, but I’m pretty confident about this one. I’m expecting it to follow the same path as Woody Allen’s MIDNIGHT IN PARIS awardswise – a Summer released awards vehicle for a well known director. Right now, I’m one of those who’s grateful for DA 5 BLOODS existing in the middle of a pandemic: thanks Netflix

Exactly. Plus the Academy may not want to lose the goodwill they have from finally acknowledging Spike Lee as a filmmaker. Also the Black Lives Matter movement gives it an importance that is different from any other contender this year so far.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Exactly. Plus the Academy may not want to lose the goodwill they have from finally acknowledging Spike Lee as a filmmaker. Also the Black Lives Matter movement gives it an importance that is different from any other contender this year so far.

That doesn’t say much when you remember that there’s not a single other contender that’s been released yet. This film doesn’t have the acclaim or buzz to last for so many months. Almost all the talk surrounding it has died down. The only way it remains a contender aside from Lindo is if the competition never picks up.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.