Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 505 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
diego
Hoster1
  • Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

If you are comparing the chances of an action sci-fi and a fantasy sci-fi, I would go with the fantasy sci-fi (I know they don’t love fantasy but they have shown more love to that than action).

Interstellar and Blade Runner 2049 are both fantasy sci-fi films that were only tech contenders. Inception did well with the Oscars, at least getting Picture and Original Screenplay nominations.

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Lindo and Netflix will probably just say it’s an ensemble piece to get away with it. He would be very competitive for a win and basically a lock for a nom in supporting, whereas he’d probably fight for the nom in Lead and lose to Hopkins or someone else whose in an actual BP contender. No one really cares about category fraud in the industry anyways. Well, unless you’re Diane Ladd at the AARP awards.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Pre Venice-TIFF

Best Picture:
    The Father (SPC)
    The French Dispatch (Searchlight)
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)
    Mank (Netflix)
    News of the World (Universal)
    Nomadland (Searchlight)
    One Night in Miami (Amazon)
    Soul (Disney)
    The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

Directing:
    Wes Anderson – The French Dispatch
    David Fincher – Mank
    Paul Greengrass – News of the World
    Chloé Zhao – Nomadland
    Regina King – One Night in Miami (why tf not lmao)

Actress in a Leading Role:
    Viola Davis – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Andra Day – The United States vs. Billie Holiday
    Frances McDormand – Nomadland
    Michelle Pfeiffer – French Exit
    Kate Winslet – Ammonite

Actor in a Leading Role:
    Tom Hanks – News of the World
    Anthony Hopkins – The Father
    Delroy Lindo – Da 5 Bloods
    Daniel Kaluuya – Judas and the Black Messiah
    Gary Oldman – Mank

Adapted Screenplay:
    The Father – Florian Zeller & Christopher Hampton
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – Ruben Santiago-Hudson
    News of the World – Luke Davies
    Nomadland – Chloé Zhao
    One Night in Miami – Kemp Powers

Original Screenplay:
    The French Dispatch – Wes Anderson, Jason Schwartzman, Roman Coppola & Hugo Guinness
    Judas and the Black Messiah – Will Berson, Shaka King, Keith Lucas & Kenneth Lucas
    Mank – Jack Fincher
    Soul – Pete Docter, Mike Jones & Kemp Powers
    The Trial of the Chicago 7 – Aaron Sorkin

Supporting Actress:
    Glenn Close – Hillbilly Elegy
    Olivia Colman – The Father
    Ariana DeBose – West Side Story
    Amanda Seyfried – Mank
    Helena Zengel – News of the World

Supporting Actor:
    Yahya Abdul-Mateen II – The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Chadwick Boseman – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Leslie Odom Jr. – One Night in Miami
    Lakeith Stanfield – Judas and the Black Messiah
    Jeremy Strong – The Trial of the Chicago 7

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

okay since we’re on the topic of lindo being lead or supporting (who i most definitely think is lead imo), what do you think they’re going to end up campaigning kaluuya in? i honestly think they’re going to campaign him in supporting rather than lead.

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Lindo and Netflix will probably just say it’s an ensemble piece to get away with it. He would be very competitive for a win and basically a lock for a nom in supporting, whereas he’d probably fight for the nom in Lead and lose to Hopkins or someone else whose in an actual BP contender. No one really cares about category fraud in the industry anyways. Well, unless you’re Diane Ladd at the AARP awards.

Ladd’s Rambling Rose nod had very little screen time. She misses those days.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

okay since we’re on the topic of lindo being lead or supporting (who i most definitely think is lead imo), what do you think they’re going to end up campaigning kaluuya in? i honestly think they’re going to campaign him in supporting rather than lead.

Kaluuya and Stanford both seems like leads to me, but I guess they’ll probably go Stanfield lead and Kaluuya supporting, since Kaluuya seems like less of a lead than Stanfield.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Lindo and Netflix will probably just say it’s an ensemble piece to get away with it.

But it is an ensemble piece…

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

But it is an ensemble piece…

I mean yeah…but to justify the actual lead of the film to be put in supporting they’ll say he’s equal to the rest of the ensemble to the point where they’re all supporting is what I’m saying.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Toldja Tenet wasn’t an Oscar contender

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Watched Tenet today in a Brisbane theater.

I am shocked how little I liked it – stock characters, a script that uses cliches to fill in the parts that aren’t exposition, or fight scenes that range from clever to tedious. Kenneth Branagh delivered a terrible, Razzies-worthy performance. Elizabeth Debicki gets the worst material Christopher Nolan has ever written for a woman character, and that says a lot. John David Washington and Robert Pattinson were good though.

I would probably pencil it in as not being a Best Picture nominee. There is no emotional hook like Inception, the film doesn’t have the lean focus of Dunkirk, and it is honestly a low point for Nolan.

I would also immediately rub out a score nomination (the score is more bass-boosted meme than anything positive), and any screenplay nomination is likely from the weak Original field this year.

Actually, it better not be a screenplay nomination. A belt literally gets brought out in one scene as a symbol of abuse. That’s how trite it is.

To be clear – I liked Nolan’s past movies. I will stick up for Interstellar’s nonsense even. But Tenet was a lifeless husk of a movie.

If Tenet is supposed to be saving the cinema experience, then cinema is dead.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

On a different note, Netflux is receiving a lot of basklash from people both in and out of the film industry regarding it’s marketing of Cuties/Mignonnes. Does anyone think this controversy could last and hurt Netflix’s chance at the Oscars next year? I personally don’t think it will, but you never know.

I think the controversy for Netflix films/shows only tends to stick to the individual pieces. 13 Reasons Why was also super controversial and derided for toxic content that glorifies things that should not be glorified, and that didn’t effect the Emmys run of other Netflix shows.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

I think the controversy for Netflix films/shows only tends to stick to the individual pieces. 13 Reasons Why was also super controversial and derided for toxic content that glorifies things that should not be glorified, and that didn’t effect the Emmys run of other Netflix shows.

They’ve yet to win a Series trophy at the Emmys though…

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

They’ve yet to win a Series trophy at the Emmys though…

Good point. However, the reason they haven’t won a Series trophy isn’t because people associated Netflix with problematic content. Similarly, I think Netflix has too many high-profile films coming in the pipeline for me to think this will stick around as a long-term awards albatross.

Controversy comes and goes in awards season, and backlash to backlash can sometimes create allies to a film’s cause – remember Joker, Three Billboards, Bohemian Rhapsody, and especially Green Book.

So no, while this is a horrifying PR cockup and some people should probably get fired, I am not convinced this will be the downfall of Netflix.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

I tried to manifest it last year to no avail, but let’s try again (provided they are all worthy)

BEST DIRECTOR
    Sofia Coppola – On The Rocks
    Regina King – One Night In Miami
    Chloe Zhao – Nomadland

Three big contenders. Fingers crossed more than one female director is on the line-up this year!

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Netflux is receiving a lot of basklash from people both in and out of the film industry regarding it’s marketing of Cuties/Mignonnes. Does anyone think this controversy could last and hurt Netflix’s chance at the Oscars next year?

Few news items from now are making it to next spring and certainly not that.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.