Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 479 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
diego
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

I am starting to wonder if Loren might play spoiler for the Globe and win there and SAG like Glenn and become the frontrunner but then lose to whomever wins the BAFTA.

That would add a certain spice to this Best Actress race

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

With most of the biggest US theatricak markets still closed, Tenet is doing strong business, earning about $20 Million in the US and nearing $150 worldwide.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/09/06/tenet-box-office-weekend-chris-nolan-john-david-washington-robert-pattinson-dunkirk-inception-interstellar-batman/amp/

Nolan got his wish. Tenet is reviving the theater industry. Depending on what happens next, this could either be very good for Tenet’s Oscar chances or very bad.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

With most of the biggest US theatricak markets still closed, Tenet is doing strong business, earning about $20 Million in the US and nearing $150 worldwide. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/09/06/tenet-box-office-weekend-chris-nolan-john-david-washington-robert-pattinson-dunkirk-inception-interstellar-batman/amp/ Nolan got his wish. Tenet is reviving the theater industry. Depending on what happens next, this could either be very good for Tenet’s Oscar chances or very bad.

I don’t see this winning him his first Oscar but it is good for the industry.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Well here’s hoping that they regulate things properly and these opened theatres don’t get people infected.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Well here’s hoping that they regulate things properly and these opened theatres don’t get people infected.

I trust they’re doing things as well as they can. The key is keeping the air fresh.

Profile picture
    MrOceanBlueEyes
    Topics:

Listen, I love Kirby. But calling her a lock is delusion at this moment. She would need a huge campaign behind her. I know she got a lot of praise but she needs a distributor that would put her as the main priority. She could very well only be a Venice thing.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Listen, I love Kirby. But calling her a lock is delusion at this moment. She would need a huge campaign behind her. I know she got a lot of praise but she needs a distributor that would put her as the main priority. She could very well only be a Venice thing.

Exactly my thoughts. I’m thinking back to critically acclaimed performances like Ethan Hawke in First Reformed that were snubbed at the Oscars.

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

This. At best she’ll be a Venice thing. She’s a nobody to begin with that made no dent outside of a lone Emmy nom and the BAFTAs for The Crown in an Oscar season where it’s going to be harder to access films. And like you said, she needs a distributor that needs to put the film at the top of their priority and I can’t think of any that would do so at the moment. Sony: Pfeiffer and The Father, A24: Minari, C’mon C’mon, JLaw, Netflix: Mank, HE and Davis, Neon: Kate, Amazon: One Night in Miami, Searchlight: Nomadland/Frances. I guess Focus as well but they also have Land and that could go either way and they probably won’t make a dent without box office.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

I’d be happy if Kirby got nominated but I don’t think I’m going to predict her unless she gets some sort of attention from critics, a good distributor, and fares well with the precursors. Even then, the Oscars have proven many times that if they don’t care for someone they’ll just not nominate them, even if they were everywhere else.

Profile picture
    Aniket07
    Topics:

That Vanessa Kirby gives a historical and ground-breaking performance in Pieces of a Woman that Variety states will be remembered for ages to come.

Umm, literally no review says that. Not even Variety’s.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Yeah even if Kirby wins the Volpi Cup it’s far from making her a lock – had a look at the lists of winners and there isn’t a ton of overlap between Volpi Cup winners and Oscar winners (even though both Emma Stone and Olivia Colman have done it recently).

There’s even less overlap on the Actor side – in the last decade only Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who tied for The Master ended up with corresponding Oscar noms. Adam Driver and Michael Fassbender have also won the Volpi but not for Oscar-nominated roles.

I think Pieces of a Woman is more likely to be the project that springboards Kirby to a film that eventually gets her an Oscar nom, rather than the film that gets her one. If that makes sense.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Who said Kirby was a lock lol?

I think she can happen but it depends on the distributor.

I do think she’s a lock at BAFTA however. If she doesn’t get a distributor or her film flop she still fits the type of Jessie Buckley, Annette Bening acclaimed performance from a known actress in a British film.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Vanessa Kirby needs to and will sweep. It’s time she wins an award. Viola and Kate already have their first Oscars.

You did, lol.

I would say ‘will sweep’ is calling her a lock.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Nobody is a lock anywhere in a fucking September.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I also agree that Kirby is being overestimated. It’s likely that Pieces of a Woman will end up with a weak distributor that isn’t able to give it a strong campaign, which is extremely important this year since not that many people are paying attention to film festivals or going to theaters to see movies like this. I personally still think Nomadland is the only festival film that’s going to break out this year since it’s going to all of them.

Fuck the Grammys

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 479 total)

The topic ‘2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.