Home Forums Movies 2021 Oscar: Supporting Actress Possible Surprise Nominee

2021 Oscar: Supporting Actress Possible Surprise Nominee

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
estrelas
wolfali
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

Do you think any of these actresses had a chance to be nominated in the fifth slot ala Marina de Tavira‘s style?

Charlene Swankie, Nomadland

Molly Parker, Pieces of A Woman

Sophia Loren, The Life Ahead

Candice Bergen, Let Them All Talk

Talia Ryder, Never Rarely Sometimes Always

Fiona Shaw, Ammonite

Toni Collette, I’m Thinking of Ending Things

Priyanka Chopra Jones, The White Tiger

Dominique Fishback, Judas and The Black Messiah

Helena Zengel, News of the World

Olivia Cooke, The Sound of Metal

– you can also add more performances you think had a chance at the nominations morning…

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Fishback is not a surprise for me, currently predicting her and i think she will come crack everyone’s top 5

Of the list I can think of Zengel and Chopra-Jones
    Loren would for sure be nominated here, but it seems that she’ll stay lead

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Ciara Bravo from Cherry but you cant even predict her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Olivia Cooke

A Lady Gaga DEVOTEE

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

If they absolutely L O V E Nomadland I can see Swankie (and David Straithairn) coattailing. Haven’t seen the movie yet but those two have gotten some critics’ love and appear to be the most likely passion pick.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

This type of surprises usually come from very strong BP contenders. Out of those, I would say Charlene Swankie would be the most plausible. And tbh, she would be extremely deserving.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

The most obvious De Tavira this year will be Olivia Williams, since her movie is getting nominated across the board.

My wildcard in this category is Lesley Manville, but if her movie is more embraced than expected, Abril Zamora (another unknown foreign language performance)

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson, Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor)

Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

The most obvious De Tavira this year will be Olivia Williams, since her movie is getting nominated across the board.

Almost everyone that I know that watched the movie said Williams is not happening in a million years. I do think Charlene Swankie could be the De Tavira of year, but I’m being slightly biased cause I loved her performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I loved <i>The Father </i>and Williams’ performance but there is no way she’s happening.

I think the De Tavira of this year will be either Olivia Cooke or Dominique Fishback. Currently leaning towards the former as I am predicting her film to be a bigger player.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Lowkey want it to be Toni Collette (21 years after the 6th Sense, she gets another surprise nomination for a genre film).

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oscarbuff
    Topics:

Not sure Sophia Loren is in the surprised category somehow

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

Olivia Cooke

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

Of this list, I would love for Talia Ryder who helped anchor NRSA with Flanigan, but didn’t get any of the major critics credit for it, so it might be hard for her to break through unless they discover the film from its critics wins and are obsessed with it. I still maintain it’s not so grueling or controversial that it can’t find enough votes for nominations, but only in the categories that critics pushed it for.

Fishback only happens if Judas really catches on, and as a late release maybe she can benefit from that momentum but I’m getting Carmen Ejogo in Selma vibes at best.

I don’t think NOTW is an acting contender, or a contender beyond techs personally, but if Zengel starts getting main precursor nominations and it turns out to be a bigger hit than I suspect, I don’t think she would be a MdT-style surprise on nominations morning.

Chopra has an outside shot at a Globes nomination, lol.

Olivia Cooke isn’t inconceivable if Sound of Metal really slays with voters, which I think it can. It seems to have a rooting underdog factor and generally playing pretty well with audiences. But with that performance? You could certainly nominate worse, but it’s quite limited (by design, not her fault).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Alexander
    Topics:

What about Nicole Kidman?)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Molly Parker, Pieces of A Woman

I would love for Molly Parker to get in but imo she has no chance. If she magically got in then Kirby would probably be easily winning Best Actress.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.