Home Forums Movies 2021’s This Had Oscars Buzz entries thread

2021’s This Had Oscars Buzz entries thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
Cosmia
Cordelia
wolfali

• Cordelia
    Topics:

I want this to be a thread to discuss films that are going to get precisely 0 Oscar nominations that had a lot of buzz before. I don’t want this to be  a thread of anti-stans saying “this movie is gonna get 0” I mean films that legitimately have no chance.

The This Had Oscar Buzz podcast is about films that contended for Oscars but got 0 Oscar nominations, to clarify. This is a thread to discuss films like such.

My Favourite Albums

Oil Of Every Pearl's Un-Insides - SOPHIE

Hounds of Love - Kate Bush

Since I Left You - The Avalanches

Twin Fantasy - Car Seat Headrest

Vespertine - Bjork

Cordelia
    Topics:

I’ll start with a few prominent ones

I remember a lot of buzz around Last Night in Soho and even predictions from some, but that is not getting anything. Even Production Design is way too crowded this year.

Remember people saying In The Heights was gonna win Oscars? That film vanished off the face of the earth, and there’s musicals that are gonna get way more attention.

My Favourite Albums

Vespertine - Bjork

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Every single musical this year fits this bill lol. AnnetteIn the Heights and Dear Evan Hansen all flopped.

I remember in early predictions people were saying No Time to Die was “a lock to lose” original song because the song came out early and there was going to be such tough competition from all the musicals. But at this point with how all have performed thus far critically or commercially, No Time to Die being one of the highest grossing films of this year, King Richard and Belfast both looking like top contenders and having original songs from Beyonce and Van Morrison… it wouldn’t surprise me if none of the musicals of this year even get nominated for original song lol.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

Cordelia
    Topics:

Every single musical this year fits this bill lol. Annette, In the Heights and Dear Evan Hansen all flopped and I’m not so certain that Tick, Tick… Boom and West Side Story are going to get traction to get any nominations either. I remember in early predictions people were saying No Time to Die was “a lock to lose” original song because the song came out early and there was going to be such tough competition from all the musicals. But at this point with how all have performed thus far critically or commercially, No Time to Die being one of the highest grossing films of this year, King Richard and Belfast both looking like top contenders and having original songs from Beyonce and Van Morrison… it wouldn’t surprise me if none of the musicals of this year even get nominated for original song lol.

Annette and Dear Evan Hansen are good shouts. God, Annette was a disappointment I saw that and Driver for that in some predictions.

My Favourite Albums

Vespertine - Bjork

ReplyCopy URL

loudtoilet
    Topics:

ETERNALS

ReplyCopy URL

Cosmia
    Topics:

In The Heights is a good one. I feel bad for it, honestly–if there was any time it would succeed, it would be right when it was released before Delta happened.

Mass is heading that way, and maybe The Humans if it doesn’t make an impression upon its release. Mass in particular; I think Bleecker Street’s campaigns verge on sabotage.

ReplyCopy URL

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Does anyone remember that the director behind BP winner Spotlight released his follow up this year (Deepwater), guess that’s the most obvious / forgettable one.

Everything that got pushed to 2022 will likely fall under this criteria (Blonde, Canterbury Glass, Northman, Next Goal Wins)

Actual films released in 2021 that were in conversation at one point but now seem unlikely

A Journal for Jordan
    Dear Evan Hansen
    Eternals
    Four Good Days
    Good Joe Bell
    Halloween Kills
    Last Night in SoHo
    The Card Counter
    The Duke
    The Eyes of Tammy Faye
    The Guilty
    The Humans
    The Last Dual
    The Starling
    The Survivor
    The Tender Bar
    Worth

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

Everything that got pushed to 2022 will likely fall under this criteria (Blonde, Canterbury Glass, Northman, Next Goal Wins)

I agree with this. People assumed this year would be so competitive because of the amount of films pushed back but a large majority of them ended up under-performing either in buzz, critically, commercially or all three.

It kind of reminds me of how everyone thought the 2020 drama series field at the Emmys would be so competitive because of all the delays for shows and it ended up just being Succession and Ozark in the end lol.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL

alittle03
    Topics:

CODA and Respect.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

ReplyCopy URL

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I still think Respect will get a lone Song nomination though.

ReplyCopy URL

JV
    Topics:

Last Night in Soho, Eternals, The Last Duel, The Eyes of Tammy Faye and Respect all have chances of getting at least 1 BTL nomination. So they don’t fit in the “It had Oscar buzz” category.

ReplyCopy URL

Cosmia
    Topics:

I have to wonder if The Northman will actually get Oscar buzz. Based on what I’ve heard it’s supposed to be very long, very crazy, and staggeringly violent. Might be a hard pill to swallow.

ReplyCopy URL

wolfali
    Topics:

I have to wonder if The Northman will actually get Oscar buzz. Based on what I’ve heard it’s supposed to be very long, very crazy, and staggeringly violent. Might be a hard pill to swallow.

If the academy didn’t touch The Lighthouse above the line, I highly doubt they’ll touch The Northman.

ReplyCopy URL

James Gibson
    Topics:

I hope Universal does a better job with this one than a24 did with The Lighthouse.

ReplyCopy URL

Cosmia
    Topics:

Grumble grumble Willem Dafoe robbed grumble grumble

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.