Home Forums Movies 2023 Best Animated Feature Film

2023 Best Animated Feature Film

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 507 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
cannastop
tiermakeracco17
Bonehead

• tiermakeracco17
    Topics:

GKIDS better realize that they’d need to CUT THROUGH Disney and Netflix juggling their 3+ 2022 offerings to get Inu-oh into BAF 2022 categories.

If GKIDS fails to get a nomination for Inu-Oh then they’re officially out of the Oscar game forever.

BlueFox94
    Topics:

If GKIDS fails to get a nomination for Inu-Oh then they’re officially out of the Oscar game forever.

GKIDS as well as all non-Ghibli anime.

Screw the animation age ghetto mindset of the Western Hemisphere.

Help me manifest this Best Original Song category at the 95th Oscars!:
    (contenders as of end of November)

"Dragon Commander" (Inu-oh)
    "Good Tonight" (The Bad Guys)
    "Hold My Hand" (Top Gun: Maverick)
    "Lucky Ducks" (The Bob's Burgers Movie)
    "Naatu Naatu" (RRR: Rise, Roar, Revolt)

cannastop
    Topics:

GKIDS as well as all non-Ghibli anime. Screw the animation age ghetto mindset of the Western Hemisphere.

I’m still curious about Shinkai’s Suzume movie for the 2024 Oscars.

Cabiria
    Topics:

The Sea Beast is underwhelming AF. No real genius or mind-blowing moment whatsoever. Just a steady sea adventure with a few dazzling scenes, no more, no less, with some laughable political maneuvers bunched in towards the end, and the Netflix label doesn’t help it.

On that subject, as a severe non-fan of streaming, Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood practically screams “This should’ve been on the big screen” at me with every viewing, whereas The Sea Beast perfectly belongs on streaming. Implicit “this is TV movie/special-quality” vibes, which isn’t inherently bad.

Heck, I’m not the biggest fan of Turning Red, but I side with everyone who laments its theatrical run being taken away from it. (Spider-Man: No Way Home had just happened; pandemic excuses were pathetic even then.) Gun to my head, Turning Red deserves a BAF 2022 slot more than The Sea Beast, and I’d go so far as to nominate Minions: The Rise of Gru over both of them.

To conclude that The Sea Beast deserves a BAF 2022 slot over Inu-oh, Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood, or The Bad Guys is baffling at this point (sight unseen of GDT’s Pinocchio).

What makes Turning Red good is its touching screenplay, but other than that, the animation and overall quality still screams “this belongs to streaming platform”, same as The Sea Beast. If not for other Disney films to flop so hard this year, Turning Red wouldn’t be in the winner conversation in other normal years. I think we can all admit we didn’t expect Turning Red to be the strongest contender of Disney this year when it was released, right?

2023:
    "TAR", "Banshees","Batman"

cannastop
    Topics:

What makes Turning Red good is its touching screenplay,

That goes a long way with me.

cannastop
    Topics:

Variety thinks that Marcel the Shell will win the NYFCC award for Animated Feature this year.

Don’t know why they’re so certain, but we’ll see.

BlueFox94
    Topics:

What makes Turning Red good is its touching screenplay

That goes a long way with me.

Mei with her younger mom was easily my favorite part of Turning Red, a moment so good that it made the rest of the film just fade away in my mind.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

I think we can all admit we didn’t expect Turning Red to be the strongest contender of Disney this year when it was released, right?

I mean, it had great reviews.

The main complaint I saw online were people who didn’t like watching a female Asian lead.

And it’s directed by a female Asian as well, in a category where white men rarely let anyone else exist. So there’s that.

cannastop
    Topics:

Apollo 10 1/2 is one of the top 10 movies of 2022 according to Cahiers du Cinema.

‘Pacifiction’ Tops Cahiers du Cinema’s Best Films of 2022 List

Bonehead
    Topics:

Apollo 10 1/2 is one of the top 10 movies of 2022 according to Cahiers du Cinema.

Hmmm… just thinking out loud here… most of The Academy are Linklater’s age and Apollo 10½ probably hits them right in the nostalgia feels….

cannastop
    Topics:

Hmmm… just thinking out loud here… most of The Academy are Linklater’s age and Apollo 10½ probably hits them right in the nostalgia feels….

nah it’s rotoscoped it’s not going to get in.

Moonshot of a nomination.

Bonehead
    Topics:

nah it’s rotoscoped it’s not going to get in. Moonshot of a nomination.

Rotoscoping techniques have been commonplace in animation since before Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

Loving Vincent and I Lost My Body are two recent animated features that used rotoscoping and they were both nominated.

BlueFox94
    Topics:

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/12/cahiers-du-cinema-best-films-of-2022-list-1234787270/embed/#?secret=ncoeHBGXLJ#?secret=s4yXHTmjLf

nah it’s rotoscoped it’s not going to get in.

Moonshot of a nomination.

Rotoscoping techniques have been commonplace in animation since before Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

Loving Vincent and I Lost My Body are two recent animated features that used rotoscoping and they were both nominated.

Love that Apollo 10 1/2 made Cahiers du Cinema 2022 as well, but if it misses, it’ll be because Netflix didn’t prioritize it more than GDT’s Pinocchio, which can be understandable.

That’s another reason why, even though I prefer Apollo 10 1/2 slightly more, I’m pressing harder for GKIDS to get Inu-oh nominated. Netflix has multiple horses to allocate resources to (or not), while GKIDS just has one to worry about. GKIDS, “You have one job!”

cannastop
    Topics:

Not to be stereotypical but I wonder what the Alliance of Women Film Journalists awards will think of Turning Red.

cannastop
    Topics:

hmm maybe this can give Marcel the Shell a Boost for the Oscars.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘2023 Best Animated Feature Film’ is closed to new replies.