Home Forums Movies 2023 Original Song Contenders (Part 5)

2023 Original Song Contenders (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 198 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
11 hours ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Anthagiox
sgcampaigner
James Gibson

• goodnightgotham
    Topics:

I actually did notice that yesterday….very odd..maybe Rihanna’s contributions really were as insignificant as some posters here have thought. I love Rihanna and a lot of her music but she isn’t necessarily known as a lyricist so who knows, maybe she didn’t contribute enough?

She is credited for music/as a composer, so it doesn’t really matter.

ReplyCopy URL

jim
    Topics:

Oh my God, this thread is already embarrassing. Please stop bringing Twitter energy into somewhat peaceful forums.

I’m not an expert on the film industry (& awards), but I don’t think the voters pay attention to “who won when” and other statistics.  The award is still Gaga’s in my eyes. “Naatu Naatu” makes sense too, considering it has won the category in so many major award ceremonies. Anyone else would surprise me.

ReplyCopy URL

sgcampaigner
    Topics:

She is credited for music/as a composer, so it doesn’t really matter.

The fifth writer, Priscilla Renea, disappearing off the credits on Spotify was also suspicious, though she is still there on Apple Music. From the fact that her performance was announced immediately after the nomination, i’d assume the producers had her on standby and didn’t want to lose her. I also believe the Music Branch is eager to inaugurate her in after THR reported last year they were resorting to their powerful nominees within the music industry to protest Score not getting aired.

ReplyCopy URL

Anthagiox
    Topics:

The fifth writer, Priscilla Renea, disappearing off the credits on Spotify was also suspicious, though she is still there on Apple Music. From the fact that her performance was announced immediately after the nomination, i’d assume the producers had her on standby and didn’t want to lose her. I also believe the Music Branch is eager to inaugurate her in after THR reported last year they were resorting to their powerful nominees within the music industry to protest Score not getting aired.

Of all the musicians available, including Diane Warren, why would the Music Branch be eager to inaugurate Rihanna? It doesn’t make sense.

ReplyCopy URL

sgcampaigner
    Topics:

Of all the musicians available, including Diane Warren, why would the Music Branch be eager to inaugurate Rihanna? It doesn’t make sense.

Rihanna can bring in viewers.

ReplyCopy URL

Anthagiox
    Topics:

Rihanna can bring in viewers.

Voters from the Music Branch don’t care about viewers. That’s on the producers.

ReplyCopy URL

sgcampaigner
    Topics:

Voters from the Music Branch don’t care about viewers. That’s on the producers. REPLY0IGNOREREPORT POSTSHARECOPY URLQUOTEViewing 6 posts – 136 through 141 (of 141 total)123…8910 Reply To: 2023 Original Song Contenders (Part 5) VisualText   Notify me of follow-up replies via email

“THR has heard that the music and sound branches are particularly fired up about the situation and that there has been talk of trying to get the nominees for their corresponding awards to boycott the ceremony. Also, key players in the larger music community are preparing a letter to be sent to the Academy expressing their displeasure with the situation.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/oscars-infighting-over-excluding-categories-1235103324/

ReplyCopy URL

KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

The funniest thing yesterday was Sofia Carson fans congratulating her on getting an Oscar nomination that she didn’t get. Even Selena Gomez congratulated her for Diane Warren’s Oscar nomination.

ReplyCopy URL

UnionCityMood
    Topics:

In terms of the long game, I think it would be in Gaga’s best interest to lose this year. The juice from the HOG snub and coming back strong with a BOS nomination can summate to a potential acting win for Joker 2. This may already be her strategy as it would explain her silence.

I think most lil monsters would prefer an acting win over another BOS win. Unfortunately I don’t think the Academy cares about anyone’s award trajectory so her loss this year won’t necessarily contribute or translate into momentum for her future acting competition. However it’s fascinating to see her make her way back to the award just one year after her snub.

ReplyCopy URL

xohours
    Topics:

its surreal how Gaga has now been attached to two BP nominees on top of getting herself attributed nominations for both films

ReplyCopy URL

UnionCityMood
    Topics:

its surreal how Gaga has now been attached to two BP nominees on top of getting herself attributed nominations for both films

She indeed has very strong industry resource and good insight when choosing projects. Even the messy HoG was meant to be an acclaimed project (famous cast, legendary director, high budget).

ReplyCopy URL

Anthagiox
    Topics:

“THR has heard that the music and sound branches are particularly fired up about the situation and that there has been talk of trying to get the nominees for their corresponding awards to boycott the ceremony. Also, key players in the larger music community are preparing a letter to be sent to the Academy expressing their displeasure with the situation.” https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/oscars-infighting-over-excluding-categories-1235103324/

I don’t think this proves the point you’re trying to make? None of these branches are monoliths so it would be near impossible to get the voters to all vote for a specific person for a specific purpose. Besides, if the argument is that they want ratings, then Lady Gaga is the one who has proven on multiple occasions she can bring viewers in for the Oscars.

I think this has more to do with them doing what they can to make sure those who are nominated, if they’re big names, will perform on the telecast.

ReplyCopy URL

Nathan Rand
    Topics:

Oscar nomination impact for HMH on streaming! I’m sure LMU also saw a decent boost, don’t know how much the other nominees would be affected..

ReplyCopy URL

sgcampaigner
    Topics:

I think this has more to do with them doing what they can to make sure those who are nominated, if they’re big names, will perform on the telecast.

Chicken and egg. The performance is contingent on the nomination.

The value of composers was undermined last year when Score was taken off the air due to low ratings. An outraged music branch fought back by urging their nominees to boycott the ceremony, however Original Song nominees did not oblige.

This year they are back but going forward how do you show the value you bring to The Academy’s viewership?

Well composers also vote for Song. Theres power in who they nominate because it determines who performs. It could be Rihanna had a lot of support from the executive and composer factions of the Music Branch, despite her contributions being questionable.

ReplyCopy URL

PredictionsKing13
    Topics:

All this conspiracy. Lift Me Up only got a nom because it was a Black Panther song – an Oscar contender film. But Wakanda’s campaign team knows Rihanna involved would spark more attention.

The Music Branch is really simple and bland. They love nominating songs attached to Oscar contenders or songs by respected industry veterans

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 198 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.