Home Forums Movies 2023 Original song contenders

2023 Original song contenders

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 513 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
xohours
Nathan_Rand
BlueFox94

• Anthagiox
    Topics:

@Anthagiox Kendrick was up against Gaga in 2019 for All the Stars

Oh, that’s right. I don’t know why I forgot that since I really like that song. That song was a pretty big hit, so I wonder if he can recreate the magic with BP2.

LAINELAVIGNE
    Topics:

“I Ain’t Worried” is Top Gun: Maverick’s best chance. “Hold My Hand” tanked really hard.

xohours
    Topics:

IAW is ineligible, but ofc you wouldn’t even know the rules w the sig of yours, someone that hasn’t even charted on the Hot 100 in years

Anthagiox
    Topics:

“I Ain’t Worried” is Top Gun: Maverick’s best chance. “Hold My Hand” tanked really hard.

You’re awfully confident despite IAW not even being eligible lol.

Even if it were eligible, ‘Hold My Hand’ has one big advantage over IAW… Lady Gaga.

CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

Why is IAW ineligible again?

James Gibson
    Topics:

Why is IAW ineligible again?

It heavily samples the Peter Bjorn and John’s hit single “Young Folks”. Funny how the most catchy part of the song is the whispers and that wasn’t an original take.
    I’m not sure if any of the sampled contenders were deemed ineligible yet. But all points to it.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

jamon__serrano
    Topics:

Something like IAW would never win this category ffs lol. Be serious.

xohours
    Topics:

doubt the DWD song will be nominated, if lucky the shortlist will be its prize

Almond
    Topics:

Variety has reported that Doja is submitting Vegas

MysticMagix
    Topics:

We have our winner folks

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

film123
    Topics:

Kiss Me More ended that Gaga Tony Bennett song at the Grammys and now Vegas will win over Hold My Hand.

alittle03
    Topics:

So she’s eligible? I guess she’s probably our winner in what seemed like a dire category outside of Gaga.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

xohours
    Topics:

Music submissions are due Nov. 1, and the branch executive committee will begin weighing the issues that month. Warner Bros. is expected to enter the song for consideration and studio executives are hoping for a positive result.

hmm guess even WB doesn’t know if the branch will accept the submission, doesn’t hurt tho

Anthagiox
    Topics:

Kiss Me More ended that Gaga Tony Bennett song at the Grammys and now Vegas will win over Hold My Hand.

And ten years from now you’ll still be on this forum seething over Gaga. 🤣

<hr />

Seeing Doja win an Oscar would be AMAZING, but is she actually really eligible? You can submit all you want, but that doesn’t really mean anything. After reading the article, it says it is “maybe” eligible and then lays out all the reasons why it may not be. It’ll be up to the Academy to determine if it is.

The question for Oscar music-branch judges — who will ultimately determine its eligibility for the golden statuette — is, does it meet the Academy’s criteria? Oscar rules state that any nominee “must be the result of a creative interaction” between filmmakers and songwriters “who have been engaged to work directly on the motion picture.”

Leiber died in 2011, and while Stoller is still alive, sources say he was not directly involved with the film (he was unavailable for an interview). Leiber and Stoller penned the blues number in 1952 for Big Mama Thornton, who turned it into a No. 1 hit on the R&B charts; Elvis Presley covered it in 1956 and it too went to No. 1 on the pop, country and R&B charts — simultaneously.

A second Oscar rule would appear to eliminate Leiber and Stoller from consideration. “Expressly excluded from eligibility are… partial contributors (i.e., any writer not responsible for the overall design of the work),” reads a later passage in the Academy regulations.

And yet a respected veteran branch member believes all of these issues may not necessarily mean an automatic disqualification. This individual pointed out that these questions are rarely black-and-white and that the branch executive committee will probably debate it if there is a question about eligibility.

The Academy source focused more on another rule, that “there must be a clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition” present in the film.

“Elvis” uses less than 45 seconds of the Doja Cat vocal during a montage of Beale Street scenes, as young Presley overhears Thornton (played by Shonka Dukureh) sing “Hound Dog” and experiences the Memphis musical scene. (Dukureh died July 21 in Nashville; she was 44.)

Doja Cat’s rap is original and was written for the film, but sources say the film’s official cue sheet – which details every musical moment in the film, with specific timings, songwriter and publisher information – lists the “Vegas” song as including the “Hound Dog” interpolation and songwriters, which complicates the decision-making for the judges.

Music submissions are due Nov. 1, and the branch executive committee will begin weighing the issues that month. Warner Bros. is expected to enter the song for consideration and studio executives are hoping for a positive result.

They kind of lay out the reason why it wouldn’t be nominated lol.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘2023 Original song contenders’ is closed to new replies.