Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscar Contenders (Part 2)

2023 Oscar Contenders (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 538 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
Setia_Yasmine..
wolfali
Babylonian
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

For the record I went back to look at the March thread from 2021 and I would say the accuracy rate was about 15-20%.

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

For the record I went back to look at the March thread from 2021 and I would say the accuracy rate was about 15-20%.

Wow 😳

Although I think killers of flowers moon and the fablemans are pretty locked in they are passion projects

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

I am hoping Babylon will go home empty handed I am over Oscar baits

Not happening a Damien Chazelle film has never went home empty handed at the Oscars and whats wrong with oscar bait especially when its by Damien Chazelle one of the best young directors in the world.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Gemma is exquisite but I don’t think she could act her way out of a paper bag. Even when she has no dialogue and is playing a British grandmother.
    But that could change.

The Sunne in Splendour.
    I prefer my roses white

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Wow Although I think killers of flowers moon and the fablemans are pretty locked in they are passion projects

Looking through old threads generally people were worst at predicting when they:

a) assumed something was getting dated that didn’t

b) stanned performers too much as opposed to looked at directors

c) didn’t pay attention to the projects studios prioritised in the midst of the pandemic

d) didn’t pay attention to general consensus from festivals as they happened.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not predicting her (at least at this stage) because it’s an early release but Michelle Yeoh an incredible amount of buzz and acclaim going for her right now for Everything Everywhere All at Once (which just opened to one of the highest per theatre averages of the pandemic) and there seems to be a lot of excitement over her having a leading role in a film like this for the first time.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this ends up being a performance that does well with critics groups.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    samy.chrr
    Topics:

Not predicting her (at least at this stage) because it’s an early release but Michelle Yeoh an incredible amount of buzz and acclaim going for her right now for Everything Everywhere All at Once (which just opened to one of the highest per theatre averages of the pandemic) and there seems to be a lot of excitement over her having a leading role in a film like this for the first time. It wouldn’t surprise me if this ends up being a performance that does well with critics groups.

It baffles me that despite having an international career spanning almost 40 years, her acclaimed roles in both box-office hits and arthouse films (and even one Best Picture-nominated film), she hasn’t received even *one* nomination in any major ceremony. She’s beyond overdue at this point.

Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

It baffles me that despite having an international career spanning almost 40 years, her acclaimed roles in both box-office hits and arthouse films (and even one Best Picture-nominated film), she hasn’t received even *one* nomination in any major ceremony. She’s beyond overdue at this point.

She has a BAFTA nom

Profile picture
    Jaket1991
    Topics:

I can see people rallying behind Yeoh. She’s a long standing performer with great filmography, seems to be respected by industry. I’m just not sure the role is to the academy’s taste.

Profile picture
    Ed Distasio
    Topics:

we can all agree nolan is going to win for   oppenheimer

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

we can all agree nolan is going to win for oppenheimer

That films is eligible in 2024.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I just watched the trailer for “Everything Everywhere All At Once” and it does not seem the kind of thing that Oscars like to reward at all. It will end up being left out of all awards, like “The Green Knight” (also a A24 early release). Sorry for the pessimism!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I just watched the trailer for “Everything Everywhere All At Once” and it does not seem the kind of thing that Oscars like to reward at all. It will end up being left out of all awards, like “The Green Knight” (also a A24 early release). Sorry for the pessimism!

Oh yeah I think her chances of an Oscar nom at this stage are slim. But this film seems to be more accessible than The Green Knight with it being character driven than plot driven and doesn’t seem particularly polarising (it has an 8.9 score on IMDB compared to The Green Knight‘s 6.6).

Yeoh having a potential Lindo/Hawke type of run with critics if her performance still ends up being in the conversation at the end of the season doesn’t feel too implausible.

Profile picture
    Shrek Superslam
    Topics:

I’m hoping it is between Viola Davis, Naomie Ackie, and Michelle Yeoh. Sorry Margot stans.

Hate to break it to everyone, but I don’t see it as being very likely that Yeoh gets in for that film or for that role.

At best, she’ll get a critic’s choice nom like Nicolas Cage did for Pig.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 538 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscar Contenders (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.