Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscar Contenders (Part 2)

2023 Oscar Contenders (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 538 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Setia_Yasmine..
wolfali
Babylonian
  • Profile picture
    Shrek Superslam
    Topics:

For the record I went back to look at the March thread from 2021 and I would say the accuracy rate was about 15-20%.

In fairness, a major film (Canterbury Glass) got delayed….

And I do think the quadrant of House Of Gucci, The Last Duel, Nightmare Alley and Don’t Look Up got somewhat unlucky…

If it was like ten years ago, I imagine they would have got a lot more nominations, deserved or not.

Profile picture
    Shrek Superslam
    Topics:

Not predicting her (at least at this stage) because it’s an early release but Michelle Yeoh an incredible amount of buzz and acclaim going for her right now for Everything Everywhere All at Once (which just opened to one of the highest per theatre averages of the pandemic) and there seems to be a lot of excitement over her having a leading role in a film like this for the first time. It wouldn’t surprise me if this ends up being a performance that does well with critics groups.

Nicolas Cage in Pig again, I reckon.

Oh yeah I think her chances of an Oscar nom at this stage are slim. But this film seems to be more accessible than The Green Knight with it being character driven than plot driven and doesn’t seem particularly polarising (it has an 8.9 score on IMDB compared to The Green Knight‘s 6.6). Yeoh having a potential Lindo/Hawke type of run with critics if her performance still ends up being in the conversation at the end of the season doesn’t feel too implausible.

The problem with the Lindo/Hawke comparison is that both First Reformed and Da 5 Bloods stood reasonable chances in other categories. And both actually did get nominations, just not for their leads.

I can’t see Yeoh’s film being to the Academy’s taste. Their best and only bet is that lead actress nomination for her, but, given the release date and the lack of buzz outside of Film Twitter, I think it’s inclined to be similar in trajectory to Pig.

(Yes, I know the box office was high based on per average cinema… but French Dispatch also did really well in that regard and didn’t touch the Oscars either, in spite of it being directed by someone who the Academy seem to be aware of existing…)

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Is Jean smart role in Babylon enough for her to get nominated ? I heard it is a short role but hey if you are a veteran and plays a baity role you will get nominated and she is a TV icon who just returned from her sweep of all major TV awards I hope her role is janney like so she can sweep

Profile picture
    Shrek Superslam
    Topics:

Is Jean smart role in Babylon enough for her to get nominated ? I heard it is a short role but hey if you are a veteran and plays a baity role you will get nominated and she is a TV icon who just returned from her sweep of all major TV awards I hope her role is janney like so she can sweep

Well… if it is a small role, I wouldn’t hedge your bets just yet.

Bradley Cooper – nominated 4 times – had a baity, scene-stealing supporting role in Licorice Pizza, which was pretty short, and didn’t get nominated…. Jesse Plemons and JK Simmons did instead somehow…

If it’s short, Smart might not get in, tbh. Depends how short it is, though.

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Well… if it is a small role, I wouldn’t hedge your bets just yet. Bradley Cooper – nominated 4 times – had a baity, scene-stealing supporting role in Licorice Pizza, which was pretty short, and didn’t get nominated…. Jesse Plemons and JK Simmons did instead somehow… If it’s short, Smart might not get in, tbh. Depends how short it is, though.

Judi dench and Ciaran hinds got short roles yet they got in this year  same as Sam Elliot , Sam Rockwell (vice ) , Michelle Williams ( manshester by sea) , Allison janney even won

Profile picture
    Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

I would love to see how The Woman King is doing with box office and critics because I could possibly see Viola Davis being a contender for 2023

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

I watched Everything Everywhere All At Once this weekend and my God is this film original and amazing!

I’m going to need A24 to campaign the hell out of this next fall. It deserves Oscar love and would fit well into so many categories!

At the very least…

Michelle Yeoh in Lead Actress
    The Daniels in Original Screenplay

But really also deserves attention in…

Best Picture
    Best Director
    Best Supporting Actress x 2
    Best Editing
    Best Cinematography
    Best Production Design
    Best Makeup & Hair
    Best Costume Design
    Best Sound
    Best Visual Effects
    Best Original Score

Profile picture
    storminthedark
    Topics:

I think this year more than any in recent years has disproven the need for a particular Oscar-bait release date or concept tbh. If Coda wins BP then I think the argument for release dates hindering the genuine passion behind some performances and films is lowkey weakened quite a bit. I’m not saying that March releases are particularly good for awards chances, but with earlier films receiving recognition in bigger categories in recent years (Get Out, Black Panther, CODA etc), I don’t think it’s out of the question that with the right campaign and the genuine passion behind it, that performances like Michelle Yeoh’s could get nominations.

Profile picture
    Prince1
    Topics:

The only problem for Michelle Yeoh is the competition because best actress is looking STACKED on paper. A lot of contenders would have to flop or move to 2023 for her to happen.

Profile picture
    xohours
    Topics:
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Well, because of CODA’s win, Apple TV+ could theoretically get back-to-back Best Picture Oscars — with Killers of the Flower Moon

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

Killers of the Flower Moon will be another Gangs of New York, The Irishman, The Power of the Dog, placeholder nominee

Letterboxd: Brayfers

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

FYC:
    - Squid Game
    - Severance
    - Euphoria
    - Stranger Things
    - Hacks
    - Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Today, I announce my campaign for Viola Davis as Best Actress.

Thank you and good night.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Killers of the Flower Moon will be another Gangs of New York, The Irishman, The Power of the Dog, placeholder nominee

Agreed, I think Scorsese will win tho

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Well guys expect david o Russell’s Canterbury glass to win picture. It’s what the Oscar’s love. Subpar best picture winners and inappropriate and questionable behavior by celebs

Emmys FYC:

Comedy Series - Abbott Elementary, Atlanta, Barry, The Great, Hacks, Only Murders in the Building, Reservation Dogs, Ted Lasso, What We Do in the Shadows

Drama Series - Better Call Saul, Ozark, Pachinko, Severance, Squid Game, Stranger Things, Succession, This Is Us, Yellowjackets

Limited Series - Station Eleven

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 538 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscar Contenders (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.