Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscar Contenders (Part 2)

2023 Oscar Contenders (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 538 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Setia_Yasmine..
wolfali
Richie Rich
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

No I meant it could be passing and lost daughter situation

Passing and The Lost Daughter were distributed by the same company. Women Talking is being distributed by MGM/United Artists Releasing whilst She Said is distributed by Universal Pictures.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Williams is easily one of the best actresses of her generation, she might be boring as a person but as an actress she’s talented as fuck and one of those you know will deliver in any role she portrays.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Dakota served with this look and she’s coming next year. You heard it here first.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Wait, so we’ve never had an Asian Best Actress nominee?

According to Wikipedia there are a few actresses of Western Asian decent (Armenia for Cher and Vivien Leigh, Lebanon for Salma Hayek and Israel for Natalie Portman), but no East Asians or South Asians apart from Merle Oberon.

Profile picture
    Prince1
    Topics:

Dakota served with this look and she’s coming next year. You heard it here first.

I wonder if she was one of the actresses Almodovar spoke to at the after party

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

I think it’s a mistake to think that both She Said and Women Talking can’t get nominations, especially in a 10 picture field. They will be very different movies. One is primarily a journalism procedural told from the journalists’ perspective about investigating and reporting on sexual assault and harassment in the entertainment industry and the other is a drama largely about religion and faith told from the perspective of rape victims about the collective experiences, decision-making processes, and empowerment of a group of Bolivian Mennonite women. Both have starry casts, accomplished screenwriters, and excellent directors who are also renowned actresses. (Yes, Sarah Polley, who is great, was nominated for an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Away From Her, but Maria Schrader won an Emmy for Direction of a Limited Series, Unorthodox, and this past year, a movie she directed, I’m Your Man, was shortlisted for an Oscar for Best International Film.) I think it’s a little sexist to think that both films can’t generate Oscar nominations. I note that in 1998, two World War II movies primarily concerning men generated multiple Oscar nods— Saving Private Ryan and The Big Red Line— and THAT SAME YEAR, in a five picture field, two films centered in Elizabethan England, Shakespeare in Love and Elizabeth, also generated multiple Oscar nominations. Two years ago, three films about distinct aspects of the Black experience in America deservedly won multiple Oscar nominations— Ma Rainey, One Night in Miami, and Judas and The Black Messiah. While all of the films I’ve listed in this paragraph are very different movies, She Said and Women Talking are also very different, with the common denominator being that both are being made by and about women.

Did I say that because both are directed by women only one can get Oscar nominations? I’m not saying She Said won’t be a contender, but I don’t see it being as promising as Women Talking for a multitude of reasons.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

So Cher is the only Asian Best Actress winner ever. Michelle Yeoh would have quite the narrative if EEAAO picks up steam. Luckily it looks like a strong vehicle overall so I don’t think the nomination is that out of the question.

FYC:

Profile picture
    DrewN92
    Topics:

Williams is easily one of the best actresses of her generation, she might be boring as a person but as an actress she’s talented as fuck and one of those you know will deliver in any role she portrays.

As someone who has personally met her many times, she is truly just a shy person who doesn’t want to be in the limelight. It irks me that people (not you!) don’t seem to care for her because she’s not on social media and likes the quiet life, aka “seems boring.”

I guess I am a bit biased because of my experience with her, but it really makes me respect her even more. She also is probably one of the smartest actresses in terms of picking projects and as you said, I completely agree she is easily one of the best actresses of her generation.

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

As we’ve seen with this discussion, the “overdue” argument is highly subjective. I agree with all of those you mentioned and would add:

1. Robin Williams (3 prior nominations, 20 years into his career)
    2. Viola Davis (2 prior nominations and with a long, respected resume in film and theater)
    3. Brad Pitt (5 prior acting nominations, 30 years into his career, one of the most recognizable movie stars of all time)
    4. Helen Mirren (2 prior nominations, 40 years into her career)

Agreed on the subjectivity. I feel like I’m changing my definition all the time based on many good arguments on this thread and others, and agree that counting nominations is overly mechanical.

I do think there’s some kind of distinction between an overdue Oscar and a career/movie star Oscar. To me, Davis felt a lot like the former and Pitt more like the latter. But I could see so many career reward wins overlapping with what people consider overdue – with DiCaprio and even Pitt as great examples – that it might not even be worth distinguishing. My thinking is that there probably many more wins that are just “on time,” especially when you consider the average ages of winners these days.

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

Florence Pugh could happen for « The Wonder » or « A good person » but not DWD

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

I specified the catagories for each film that I could think of that seem oscar baity:
    Lightyear: Picture Animated
    The Lost City: Actress
    Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore: Actor, Screenplay
    The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent: Actor, Screenplay
    Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: Actor, Whatever catagory Olsen ends in
    Hustle: Queen Latifah if she goes supporting or lead
    Elvis: Actor, Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Supoorting Actress, Screenplay
    Bullet Train: Actor, Picture
    Salem’s Lot: Picture, Actor, Supporting Actress
    I Wanna Dance with Somebody: Actress, Screenplay, Picture
    Avatar 2: Picture, DIrector, Actress, Actor, Supporting Actress
    The Novelist’s Film: Picture
    Turning Red, Picture, Animated
    The Northman: Director, Picture, Supporting Actress, Actor, Supporting Actor, Actress, screenplay
    Don’t Worry Darling: Picture, Actress, Supporting Actress, Suporting Actor
    Babylon: Directer, Screenplay, Picture, Actress, Actor
    She Said: Picture, Directer, Actress
    Nope: Picture, Kaluya (actor or suporting actor), Yuen (Actor or Suporting Actor)
    Three Thousand Years of Longing: Actor, Picture
    Tar: Actress, Picture, Screenplay
    The Son: Actor, Picture, Screenplay, Director, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress
    The Whale: Actor
    The Woman King: Actress, Picture, Director, Screenplay
    Knives Out 2: Picture, Screenplay, Actor
    Alcarràs: Picture, Director, Actress, Screenplay
    David O. Russell movie: picture, director, actor, actress, supporting actor, screenplay
    Killers of the Flower Moon: Actor, Picture, Director, Screenplay, Suporting Acting catagories
    Bones and All: Actor, Director, Screenplay
    White Noise, Picture, Actor, Screenplay
    The Fabelmans: Director, Screenplay, Suporting Actress, Picture
    Shirley: Actress, Screenplay, Picture
    Poor Things: Actress, Picture, Director,

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Did I say that because both are directed by women only one can get Oscar nominations? I’m not saying She Said won’t be a contender, but I don’t see it being as promising as Women Talking for a multitude of reasons.

I didn’t say that you said BECAUSE BOTH ARE DIRECTED BY A WOMAN only one can get Oscar nominations. Your post speaks for itself. In response to a comment that only one of the two films will make “an impact,” you wrote, “Trust me, it’ll be Women Talking. The cast is stacked and Sarah Polley is already an Academy Award nominee.” You seem(ed) to be suggesting that you don’t think She Said will have a significant impact in this coming year’s Oscars competition. If I misinterpreted your comment, it was not intentional.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

I do think there’s some kind of distinction between an overdue Oscar and a career/movie star Oscar. But I could see so many career reward wins overlapping with what people consider overdue that it might not even be worth distinguishing.

Yes, whether someone is considered “overdue” for having many nominations without a win or for having a long, respected career doesn’t really matter all that much, it’s a different means to the same end – If Hollywood considers that you’ve come a long way without winning and a narrative is built around the “it’s time they get their flowers”, well… you’re overdue.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

I didn’t say that you said BECAUSE BOTH ARE DIRECTED BY A WOMAN only one can get Oscar nominations. Your post speaks for itself. In response to a comment that only one of the two films will make “an impact,” you wrote, “Trust me, it’ll be Women Talking. The cast is stacked and Sarah Polley is already an Academy Award nominee.” You seem(ed) to be suggesting that you don’t think She Said will have a significant impact in this coming year’s Oscars competition. If I misinterpreted your comment, it was not intentional.

I don’t think She Said will have the same impact compared to Women Talking, but not because it is directed by a woman.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I don’t think She Said will have the same impact compared to Women Talking….

Personally, I think it is too early to draw any strong conclusions about either of their impact. There are reasons to be cautious about the awards potential of both films. On the one hand, there are likely to be many AMPAS voters who simply don’t want to watch or promote a movie concerning the Weinstein investigation and the abuses that many in the industry tolerated or covered up for decades. On the other hand, there is no history of great AMPAS interest in the religious and political enlightenment and empowerment of a group of Bolivian Mennonite rape victims.  Both feature great talent  in front of and behind the camera, and I’m very eager to see BOTH films.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 538 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscar Contenders (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.