Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscar Contenders (Part 3)

2023 Oscar Contenders (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 501 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Setia_Yasmine..
Manav
Richie Rich
  • Profile picture
    Frenchfrizzygirl
    Topics:

I’m looking forward first reactions about Killing of The Flower Moon, can’t wait to see this ! A movie about The Natives, with one of my favourite actors, directed by Scorsese!!! This has to be great !!!

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

And fairly common too in the expanded era too. 2012, 2013 and 2016 are the only non-covid’s years with only Q4 only wide releases. Pre-Venice/TIFF wide releases that got Best Picture • Inglorious Basterds (August 2009) • Inception (July 2010) • Toy Story 3 (July 2010) • Midnight in Paris (June 2011) • The Help (August 2011) • The Grand Budapest Hotel (March 2014) • Mad Max: Fury Road (May 2015) • Get Out (February 2017) • Dunkirk (July 2017) • Black Panther (February 2018) • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (July 2019)

Oof. That is not promising for EEAAO.  All of these movies were blockbusters in the US, grossing over $100 million, sans two: MiP and TGBH. And even those two still managed over $50 million. Plus, they had two very established directors, with Wes Anderson already having amassed three nominations and Woody Allen having 3 wins and 21 nominations to his name at that point!

Emmys FYC:

Comedy Series - Abbott Elementary, Atlanta, The Great, Reservation Dogs, What We Do in the Shadows

Drama Series - Pachinko, Severance, Yellowjackets

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

I’m looking forward first reactions about Killing of The Flower Moon, can’t wait to see this ! A movie about The Natives, with one of my favourite actors, directed by Scorsese!!! This has to be great !!!

Could be like 12 years a slave speaking about the atrocities committed against native Americans

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Could be like 12 years a slave speaking about the atrocities committed against native Americans

That’s why i think Scorsese has a huge chance to win Picture compared to The Irishman

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

That’s why i think Scorsese has a huge chance to win Picture compared to The Irishman

Maybe but women talking also has a rooting factor like spotlight

Profile picture
    Jaket1991
    Topics:

Anyone know when Everywhere is out at the cinema in UK? I thought it was supposed to be this weekend…

don’t think it has distribution here yet but from what I’ve read online April 8th – end of April. I’m in London and really eager to watch.

and from that snippet I think Michelle will make an excellent campaigner. I’m sure many actresses can empathise with waiting for their moment to really demonstrate capabilities. Many simply don’t get the chance.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

And that’s why I won’t watch this until the very last minute.

The Sunne in Splendour.
    I prefer my roses white

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

I finally watched EEAAO today and I’m in complete awe of the level of filmmaking brought to the table. Tonically it reminded me a lot of Holy Motors by Leos Carax – and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

The film is GREAT in so many ways but I feel some may be overestimating its awards chances, especially since it’s A24. If it tries to be this all around juggernaut it will most likely fall short everywhere, so I hope they focus on Yeoh (a performance soooo full of color) and the superb writing.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The film is GREAT in so many ways but I feel some may be overestimating its awards chances, especially since it’s A24.

I think like most things people get carried away. It’s always “it should win EVERY CATEGORY” rather than “hey, this is very competitive for actress and editing”

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

I think like most things people get carried away. It’s always “it should win EVERY CATEGORY” rather than “hey, this is very competitive for actress and editing”

Well, it should be competitive across the board so I get why people got carried away. But it’s early april, we’re like 9 months away from nominations voting.

If we look at other films with early releases to make it into Best Picture in the expanded era, they were all huge box-office hits and most from big name directors. The only real precedent (including the genre bias hurdle) is Get Out, but that movie grossed $255.4 million against a $4.5 million budget and represented a moment in Hollywood with the #OscarsSoWhite movement. I’m very curious about how A24 will manage this campaign, let’s hope for the best outcome possible.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Well, it should be competitive across the board so I get why people got carried away. But it’s early april, we’re like 9 months away from nominations voting.

If we look at other films with early releases to make it into Best Picture in the expanded era, they were all huge box-office hits and most from big name directors. The only real precedent (including the genre bias hurdle) is Get Out, but that movie grossed $255.4 million against a $4.5 million budget and represented a moment in Hollywood with the #OscarsSoWhite movement. I’m very curious about how A24 will manage this campaign, let’s hope for the best outcome possible.

Michelle is campaigning her beautiful self to advantage. I hope she doesn’t peak too soon for short memories.
    The crafts should be competitive but it’s Michelle I want to see finally recognized.
    Is that asking too much…?

The Sunne in Splendour.
    I prefer my roses white

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

I’m wondering if Avatar II will help Michelle Yeoh. If EEAAO does well at the box office, and Avatar II is a blockbuster and a tech juggernaut then I think it’ll be hard to ignore her during award season. Plus Avatar II isn’t the type of movie that would garner acting nominations so there won’t be vote splitting.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Michelle is campaigning her beautiful self to advantage. I hope she doesn’t peak too soon for short memories. The crafts should be competitive but it’s Michelle I want to see finally recognized. Is that asking too much…?

I think she has a great chance, even more competitive than crafts actually. But as we’ve seen this year, critics are very… volatile. We’ll need them to stick with her and push her performance all the way.

Profile picture
    DanC
    Topics:

Guess what I just saw!

Looks like I’m in the EEAO hive now! A truly hilarious & heartwarming film! Combining crass humor, sci-fi trippiness, and some of the best editing I’ve seen in years! Absolutely recommend!

Not sure how its Oscar chances are though. Depends on how much critics & A24 push it. Here’s how I see it for now.

Bare minimum: Editing,

If they like it: Actress, Original Screenplay, Sound, Costumes

If they really like it: Picture, Supporting Actor (Ke Huy Quan), Visual Effects,

If they absolutely love it: Director, Supporting Actress (Stephanie Hsu), Song

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

It’ll either be Women Talking or She Said. As much as we’d like that to happen, it’s very unlikely two films dealing with the same subject matter get nominated considering the subject is kinda difficult for a lot of people.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscar Contenders (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.