Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 1)

2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 319 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Ed_Distasio_1
kbc
FreeJacob22
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Yeah I figure The Whale won’t be what many comeback-narrative-seekers are hopedicting. It’s polarising material on stage (look it up) – I’m not confident it will even begin to work on screen. And yeah Fraser’s closest brush with Oscar was as the sole unnominated main actor (aka the weak link) in Gods & Monsters – I don’t think there’s gonna be a groundswell to rectify “past oversight” here.

The issue I have is that I don’t think Fraser has any margin for error here – that’s the kind of role that he’d need to be getting flawless, career best raves for that to get past the polarisation, not just putting in a good/very good performance that they’re able to make happen because of narrative. And it’s lovely people have that level of faith in Fraser, but it feels like people are setting him up to fail by wanting a level of performance he hasn’t ever really delivered from a quantative level.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DanC
    Topics:

My July Predictions:

1. Hugh Jackman, The Son
    2. Colman Domingo, Rustin
    3. Leonardo DiCaprio, Killers of the Flower Moon
    4. Austin Butler, Elvis
    5. Brendan Fraser, The Whale

6. Christian Bale, Amsterdam
    7. Michael Fassbender, Next Goal Wins
    8. Daniel Giménez Cacho, Bardo
    9. Diego Calva, Babylon
    10. Bill Nighy, Living

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ed Distasio
    Topics:

People picking Brendan Fraser. Got to remember the academy doesn’t care for comeback stories. We saw it with Mickey rourke

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ed Distasio
    Topics:

I think people are. Doubting. Austin butler  winning cause they do t want to see a movie about a white rock star win best actor

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cair
    Topics:

I think people are. Doubting. Austin butler winning cause they do t want to see a movie about a white rock star win best actor

Disagree I think more people than they want to admit didn’t mind Rami Malik winning for playing Freddie Mercury and he was a rocker. And I think people were a bit shocked that Taron Edgerton wasn’t nominated for player Elton John, another rocker. And if Austin Butler does get nominated it’s worthy of a nomination. I’m just not sure that it is what I’d call a winning performance. He was very good. I will say as a MASSIVE Elvis Presley fan, no one can ever replace the real deal.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think people are. Doubting. Austin butler  winning cause they do t want to see a movie about a white rock star win best actor

I think an account that basically only posts support for Austin Butler repeatedly may be a little biased but hey what do I know

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

My goodness elvis was amazing.  Austin…sir…that vegas residency performance…the way his ENERGY and movements…EVERYTHING was SO PERFECT.

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I just get “not happening” vibes from The Whale I’m sorry. The fatsuit/fat makeup will cause controversy, and it’s honestly 50/50 whether the film will even go down well with the Academy given Aronofsky hasn’t had an Academy hit since Black Swan.

My Favourite Albums

Oil Of Every Pearl's Un-Insides - SOPHIE

Hounds of Love - Kate Bush

Since I Left You - The Avalanches

Twin Fantasy - Car Seat Headrest

Vespertine - Bjork

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreeJacob22
    Topics:

The issue I have is that I don’t think Fraser has any margin for error here – that’s the kind of role that he’d need to be getting flawless, career best raves for that to get past the polarisation, not just putting in a good/very good performance that they’re able to make happen because of narrative. And it’s lovely people have that level of faith in Fraser, but it feels like people are setting him up to fail by wanting a level of performance he hasn’t ever really delivered from a quantative level.

Yeah the more I think about it the less I see it. Aronofsky is definitely an actors director, and has been proven to get some of the best work from the actors he works with, but the source material this time around makes me concerned and also like you said, when has Fraser knocked it out of the park before?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

This is all very fair. I think it could be enough for him to get into the field (if Globes happen, it would be an easy place to break through), but becoming win-competitive is not as realistic. People like Jackman and Domingo are riding a momentum and have more wiggle room for a spotty performance. If Fraser can get major boosts from critics, that could help a lot. It’s not obvious right now where the critics will swing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Yeah the more I think about it the less I see it. Aronofsky is definitely an actors director, and has been proven to get some of the best work from the actors he works with, but the source material this time around makes me concerned and also like you said, when has Fraser knocked it out of the park before?

Fraser is a good, charismatic actor, with some really fun performances, but like I said earlier on this post, it’s not like he was an awards favourite or someone on the precipice that is making a comeback.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

It’s way too early to declare Butler as the winner. He seems like a likely nominee, but so did Taron when he hit every mark except the Oscars. Although he’s playing a real life legendary icon, it still doesn’t make him running away with it at July.

People were declaring Rami Malek as the winner by this time, sometimes there is a performance that is a lock even before the awards season

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

ramis movie was released in October/nov while this is a june release…thats the only issue i have

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ed Distasio
    Topics:

remember ledgers oscar  winning  role  was seen in july and  still won the oscar  so a june release isnt gonna hurt it also other summer films have won acting oscars like octavia spencer and don ameche and lets not forget tom hanks himself won an oscar for a summer released film like forrest gump its time to stop the excuses and accept the inevitable victory

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OscarBait
    Topics:

Christian Bale, Amsterdam
    Bradley Cooper, Maestro
    Leonardo DiCaprio, Killers of the Flower Moon
    Brandon Fraiser, The Whale
    Brad Pitt, Babylon

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 319 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.