Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 503 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Bonehead
Shrek Superslam
Norma Jeane

• alittle03
    Topics:

So since Volpi went to Farrell solely, I wonder if that will factor into how Searchlight decides to campaign Gleeson? Does it make it more likely he will be supporting?

I really, really think they ought to (and will) send Gleeson to supporting. S. Actor is a wasteland at the moment and Banshees looks like a top contender, so they can maximize their nominations this way. Plus, I don’t think Keoghan got any significant ink, so there’s no need for prioritizing him, for lack of a better word.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Victor
    Topics:

Gleeson also deserves a nom wherever they put him, i didn’t watch the film but I’m sure he delivered as he mostly do.

Emmy winner Matthew Macfadyen!!

sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

I really, really think they ought to (and will) send Gleeson to supporting. S. Actor is a wasteland at the moment and Banshees looks like a top contender, so they can maximize their nominations this way. Plus, I don’t think Keoghan got any significant ink, so there’s no need for prioritizing him, for lack of a better word.

Yeah, and of course Three Billboards pulled actress and best supporting actor wins, so I imagine they would want to aim for repeating that trajectory. Ke Huy Quan is the only actual win-competitive actor in supporting right now, the rest so far are looking like happy to be here noms. So…

Butz
    Topics:

AAAAAAAH PEOPLE I’m sooooo happy right now. Colin coming for his first nomination, I’m shaking

For Your Consideration:
    The Banshees of Inisherin in ALL categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Actor (Colin Farrell)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Brendan Gleeson)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Barry Keoghan)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Kerry Condon)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Sheila Flitton)
    - Best Original Screenplay

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

So since Volpi went to Farrell solely, I wonder if that will factor into how Searchlight decides to campaign Gleeson? Does it make it more likely he will be supporting?

yes supporting actor is a wasteland and Gleeson is an overdue character actor which the category likes to nominate

diego
    Topics:

Volpi Cup in Actor most of the times goes to foreign actors that won’t impact the Oscar race at all.

So Colin winning this over two of his direct Oscar competitors and Banshees taking another award on top of that is huge.

Dr. Manhattan
    Topics:

We went 26 years without seeing two performances in one film receive Best Supporting Actor nominations until Martin McDonagh ended that drought with Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri. Here’s hoping that a McDonagh film is able to get two Best Actor nominations for the first time in 38 years!

Nikhil
    Topics:

Really weak year for this category. I wonder if Babylon and/or Empire of Light will try to push Pitt and Ward respectively into Lead. I suspect they will try to push Ward in supporting because it seems easier but it really isn’t. Also, if Paramount really wanted to ramp up a Tom Cruise campaign/career achievement reminder to try to get him another nomination, now would be the time. I would not bet on it because rewarding the movie almost feels like rewarding him, but you never know.

1. Brendan Fraser, The Whale
    2. Austin Butler, Elvis
    3. Colin Farrell, Banshees of Inisherin
    4. Diego Calva, Babylon
    5. Adam Driver, White Noise
    ——-
    6. Hugh Jackman, The Son
    7. Bill Nighy, Living
    8. Christian Bale, Amsterdam
    9. Jeremy Pope, The Inspection
    10. Tom Cruise, Top Gun: Maverick

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

samy.chrr
    Topics:

Farrell is giving me huge Colman in The Favourite vibes: both are leads in critically acclaimed Searchlight movies, won the Volpi cup and are competing against an overdue veteran (Fraser/Close). I can see Fraser winning the Drama Globe and SAG (just like Glenn Glose), and Farrell sweeping the critics’ awards, winning the Comedy Globe and BAFTA, and then upsetting at the Oscars.

KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Bringing up Austin Butler is silly. He wasn’t eligible. That’s not an excuse, that’s a fact.

SaulAtreides
    Topics:

Farrell has the movie.

Fraser has the narrative.

Butler has the box-office.

It’ll interesting to see how this shakes up.

Bonehead
    Topics:

Oh damn. I knew Colin Farrell was going to be nominated, but even I didn’t think he was in contention to WIN!

As if I couldn’t get any more excited for Banshees

LET’S GO!!!

"I wasn't trying to be nice. I was trying to be accurate."

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

yes supporting actor is a wasteland and Gleeson is an overdue character actor which the category likes to nominate

The way Hinds was nominated recently after so many years and this year potentially Gleeson will follow…we don’t deserve!

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

Cosmia
    Topics:

Volpi Cup in Actor most of the times goes to foreign actors that won’t impact the Oscar race at all. So Colin winning this over two of his direct Oscar competitors and Banshees taking another award on top of that is huge.

Unfortunately, it’s part of a trend of European film festivals bowing to Hollywood and awards seasons, which isn’t great – but it IS good for Farrell.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.