Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 3)

2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 503 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
Bonehead
Norma Jeane
Ed_Distasio_1

• KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

People overreacted to the slap. It was wrong and Smith was punished. The fact is Smith is never getting nominated again. He harmed his legacy because he couldn’t wait a few hours and just verbally confront Chris Rock at an after party.

Lol at the person who said that black people are behind Chris Rock. Most black people are not behind Chris Rock. The slap was wrong and Chris Rock is still a self-hating black man who is a terrible actor. He would have been called a wuss by other black men if he had pressed charges over that weak slap. I’m a black woman and even I wouldn’t have pressed charges.

Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

Is Michael Ward lead or supporting? Critics and predix peeps are placing him in both categories

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: Holy Spider
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser
    Best Supporting Actress: Olivia de Leon
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

Bonehead
    Topics:

Is Michael Ward lead or supporting? Critics and predix peeps are placing him in both categories

I’m guessing he’ll stay in supporting as it’s incredibly difficult and unlikely for a 24-year-old to be nominated in Lead.

He’s not James Dean nor is he starring in an acclaimed picture like Timmy Chalamet or John Travolta when they were nominated in their early 20’s.

"I wasn't trying to be nice. I was trying to be accurate."

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Will smith is gonna be in the conversation. And i hope he gets nominated (and wins) just to piss all yall and the world off. Love him and his acting. And i still think the slap was warranted to racist chris and his misogynistic behavior (to a degree). But either way, if voters rally behind him he could slip in to the 5th slot.

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

MysticMagix
    Topics:

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

moonshineandmollyxo
    Topics:

I would love for him to make a comeback and I will support him in it but I don’t think he will ever win another Oscar ever again. I don’t think he’ll get nominated either, not for a long, long time.

And I like Will very much, still do, I was never mad at him. I felt really bad for him which I know sounds crazy because he did what he did of his own volition. I am fully aware that he is an adult who chose to behave a certain way but it was SO clear to me he was embarrassed by his own actions and I just…felt bad for him up on that stage when he gave his speech. Y’all can drag me for that but to me it was clear he was MORTIFIED by what he did and it was so hard to watch. It’s over now. He can’t take it back. What happened, happened. He ruined what should have been the best moment of his career. It made me really sad for him. Obviously, everyone knew he was the frontrunner and was going to win and I was so excited to hear his speech. I thought it would be a barn burner and an amazing moment. But the night took such a crazy turn.

I always knew Chris would be fine. I read about tickets to his show selling out like crazy for $700  a pop the next day and I was like…lmao OF COURSE.

MysticMagix
    Topics:

I would love for him to make a comeback and I will support him in it but I don’t think he will ever win another Oscar ever again. I don’t think he’ll get nominated either, not for a long, long time. And I like Will very much, still do, I was never mad at him. I felt really bad for him which I know sounds crazy because he did what he did of his own volition. I am fully aware that he is an adult who chose to behave a certain way but it was SO clear to me he was embarrassed by his own actions and I just…felt bad for him up on that stage when he gave his speech. Y’all can drag me for that but to me it was clear he was MORTIFIED by what he did and it was so hard to watch. It’s over now. He can’t take it back. What happened, happened. He ruined what should have been the best moment of his career. It made me really sad for him. Obviously, everyone knew he was the frontrunner and was going to win and I was so excited to hear his speech. I thought it would be a barn burner and an amazing moment. But the night took such a crazy turn. The reality is that he is smart and charismatic and well-connected and will be ok. But people will make jokes about what happened for the rest of his career and he will just have to…suck it up. I don’t see him standing on a stage with any award again any time soon. I always knew Chris would be fine. I read about tickets to his show selling out like crazy for $700 a pop the next day and I was like…lmao OF COURSE.

Yup. All this but i still have faith he will get another nom before he dies.

I felt bad for chris until all these rude jokes recently and basically using a moment of weakness as a punch line constantly and also his misogynistic and racist stuff came up from his past. Its like dude…we get it.

But anyways, wut poc do we have as nominees this year? I dont think we have a black lead actor that can potentially get a nom

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

K Olivia
    Topics:

Austin Butler, Elvis
    *Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin
    Brendan Fraser, The Whale
    Bill Nighy, Living
    Jeremy Pope, The Inspection

fvg627
    Topics:

I never like category fraud but Gleeson, Dano or Pitt going lead would sure help this field a lot

Bonehead
    Topics:

I still have faith he will get another nom before he dies… 

Whatever happens with Will Smith’s career will be interesting to watch.

I honestly don’t know if it’s possible for an apology tour to be effective anymore in our one-strike-and-your-out culture.

As a society, we’ve seemed to have lost our ability to forgive people, especially those in the public eye.

…But anyways, wut poc do we have as nominees this year?

Song Kang-ho: He could gain some traction if the critics rally behind him. He won at Cannes and there’s some love for his prolific work in Korean films, not limited to Parasite. I’d say he’s the likeliest of all potential POC contenders. He’d make history by being the first Asian actor to win Cannes that went on to make the lineup.

Jeremy Pope: He feels like a gotham and indie spirits thing. A24 would have an easier time getting Ke Huy Quan a lead nomination.

Kelvin Harrison Jr.: Maybe. I’ve heard that Chevalier is moving to 2023, which if true obviously means he isn’t a factor. Besides, Searchlight has bigger fish to push this year anyway.

Diego Calva: I get the impression that he is playing an audience conduit in Babylon, and those rarely make it into lineups. He depends on how successful the film ends up being. I will say, it’s very hard for 30-year olds to be nominated in this category, and we already have Austin Butler.

Michael Ward: Likewise, at 24, this thespian is also way too young to be nominated, especially for a film that’s rotten on RT.

Daniel Gimenez Cacho: His chances died at the Venice premiere of Bardo. Unless the industry just goes crazy for the film, he’s not happening.

"I wasn't trying to be nice. I was trying to be accurate."

Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

Jeremy Pope for the nomination

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: Holy Spider
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser
    Best Supporting Actress: Olivia de Leon
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Jeremy Pope for the nomination

Amen

mf617
    Topics:

I am not predicting him, but given the current state of the field, Tom Cruise isn’t out of the question for a nomination. He makes a lot of sense right now as someone in that sixth or seventh slot. I know he has a controversial relationship with the Globes now, but I also kind of can’t see them snubbing him as the star of the biggest movie of the year (that category potentially having Cruise and Brendan Fraser as nominees is quite the story for the HFPA, reformed or not). SAG is very populist and I see him getting a nomination there pretty easily actually. Critics Choice will make up whatever number of nominees they feel like on the day of, and they’ll nominate him if they think he has better than a 10% chance of repeating at the Oscars. His chances kind of fall apart at BAFTA and the Oscars, but I’m not counting him out at this point.

loudtoilet
    Topics:

Unless Butler gets Slap the Stud’d on the nomination morning, he should be competitive to win. He has the role, movie and performance. Elvis looks good for a Picture nominee since biopics always have their fans among AMPAS.

Farrell should be competitive to win too. Veteran, paid his dues (from lead to kinda bad boy to character actor) and his movie is also good for Picture nom with more other above the line categories.

Fraser is compared to Rourke by some and that isn’t accurate, IMO. Fraser is a sympathetic comeback story, Rourke was just a comeback story. Fraser has the role. We still make fun of Chipmunk but AMPAS loves what they love oincluding acting in heavy prosthetics. SAG should go wild for him at least. I also see that some are sceptical of a potential win cause The Whale doens’t seem primed for Picture nom (A24 will prioritize EEAAO except in Actor). After CODA broke so many stats at once, it wouldn’t be unheard of if an actor who isn’t in a Picture nominee won after decade(s) of Actor+Picture winners. Stats exist to be broken.

These 3 are solid. The rest is in the flux.

rlk
    Topics:

Decision made: Colin Farrell lead, Brendan Gleeson supporting per The Hollywood Reporter:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.