Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 4)

2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 504 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Victor
Bonehead
Moviebuff22

• Rachel615
    Topics:

Cruise is certainly a mystery. Any other year, I would be rejecting the notion of him being nominated. This year, with these performances? He is possible. We also need to take into consideration whether “Maverick” can rally Academy voters to vote for movie and its leading star. For a while now, I have this nagging feeling that we have underestimated the passion and love for “Maverick” focusing more on critics’ darlings and well, Spielberg. So, terribly weak category without much passion save perhaps Fraser (and I am even questioning that) may result that the box office darling and “the last movie star” become an Oscar-nominated actor. On the other hand, I have to agree with both Bonehead and Rachel. First, I can’t remember when I was so meh on Best Actor nominee performance (perhaps Rami Malek). It probably isn’t the greatest crime, but I do have trouble remembering someone as uninspiring and simply ordinary like Cruise in “Maverick”. As for Cruise not be liked by industry, this may also be a thing. We have seen industry being rather forgiving towards some men (ahem, ahem, Brad Pitt) but Cruise in 2000s was out of control. I still remember that interview with Oprah and the infamous couch-jumping. Then, there is that mess with his kids with Nicole. IDK, a lot of weird stuff that would at best, make people eyeroll and at worst, hold grudges. But, Cruise is a definite possibility, no doubt about that. Not for a win, sure, but for a nomination.

Personally, I think “Maverick’s” chances in Best Picture and in several other categories are MUCH stronger than Cruise’s in Best Actor.  A BP nomination seems locked, and at this point, I wouldn’t be all that surprised if the movie wins Best Picture. (Disappointed, but not surprised.) However, I think voters will spread the wealth. The movie would never have been made without Cruise, but there are a number of ways to honor the film at the Oscars without honoring Cruise’s acting.

moonshineandmollyxo
    Topics:

Personally, I think “Maverick’s” chances in Best Picture and in several other categories are MUCH stronger than Cruise’s in Best Actor. A BP nomination seems locked, and at this point, I wouldn’t be all that surprised if the movie wins Best Picture. (Disappointed, but not surprised.) However, I think voters will spread the wealth. The movie would never have been made without Cruise, but there are a number of ways to honor the film at the Oscars without honoring Cruise’s acting.

I agree and Cruise is a producer on the film. So, when the film gets its inevitable nomination for Best Picture, Tom Cruise will get rewarded with a nomination for producing. I feel like adding a Best Actor nomination on top of that is…a little too much? He is going to get the Oscar nod for producing it. That is plenty of recognition lol

Rachel615
    Topics:

I think Mescal will get in GG DRAMA + CC, maybe BAFTA. Also, Aftersun is really loved and he seems like the first place AMPAS would recognize based on passion.
    That should push him to an nod, currently predicting him.

I hope so, but it was disappointing that he and Frankie Corio didn’t win Best Joint Lead Performance at today’s BIFA awards. I hope he picks up a trifecta award, or at least a bunch of regional critics awards. If he gets in for GG Drama and Critics Choice, I’ll have a LOT more confidence that he can get an Oscar nomination. (I feel the same way about Jeremy Pope.)

Selma Linda
    Topics:

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Am i the only one that think that Farrell  is gonna  do like olivia colman volpi cup + sweeps critics + globe + cca + bafta

Lucas
    Topics:

Farrell this season:

pedrohf2001
    Topics:

So happy for Farrel. Hope he wins it in the end.

B.A.P.S
    Topics:

Am i the only one that think that Farrell is gonna do like olivia colman volpi cup + sweeps critics + globe + cca + bafta

I’m also on this train but I have Butler for the Oscar currently because of SAG being before final voting. But Farrell definitely shouldn’t be underestimated. I predict he takes NBR next week as well.

MichelleReign
    Topics:

So we have Brandan Fraser, Colin Farrell, Paul Mescal, and Austin Butler in the Actors on Actors lineup.

I hope one of these years,  Adam Sandler eventually breaks through and gets nominated! He has been campaigning and trying relentlessly. And in such a weak year… why not?

MichelleReign
    Topics:

So we have Brandan Fraser, Colin Farrell, Paul Mescal, and Austin Butler in the Actors on Actors lineup. I hope one of these years, Adam Sandler eventually breaks through and gets nominated! He has been campaigning and trying relentlessly. And in such a weak year… why not?

Joe Alwyn and Eddie being included in the lineup is certainly a choice! So random. Could have given it to someone more worthy.

Also, Jackman really has given up huh? I thought he will at least do 1/2 appearances

MichelleReign
    Topics:

Mascal still has a chance to rebound and win the critics award but I am losing hope. He is neither critic’s first priority. He is neither A24’s first priority. All the love Aftersun is receiving is being focusing on Charlotte Wells. The film swept at British Independent Awards and he still lost there. And then of course we have A24, who are not good at juggling multiple movie campaigns.

Moviebuff22
    Topics:

Lol @ Tom Cruise being the worst nominee ever in this category. Hell Bardem last year was worse..

Picture: Banshees, Top Gun
    Actor: Farrell, Fraser, Butler
    Supporting Actor: Gleeson

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I know I am one of a group of people holding out to see if Mescal can get in for Aftersun, but after he couldn’t win at BIFA today even as Aftersun dominated I’m worried the passion he’d need just isn’t there. He’d need a boost and I think critics awards will be split multiple ways. I do agree Butler is in second behind Farrell right now. I don’t like it either, and I was just whelemed by his performance, but I accept that’s probably the case.

I think Mescal’s main problem is he’s co-lead with someone who is getting raves too. He just doesn’t stand out enough

Then again, Farrell is also co-lead with Gleeson, so I’m not sure what’s going on

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

I think Mescal’s main problem is he’s co-lead with someone who is getting raves too. He just doesn’t stand out enough Then again, Farrell is also co-lead with Gleeson, so I’m not sure what’s going on

I think it’s at least partly due to so much of the attention and praise going to Wells, her directorial and screenplay work is overshadowing his narrative.

Mood
    Topics:

I’m also on this train but I have Butler for the Oscar currently because of SAG being before final voting. But Farrell definitely shouldn’t be underestimated. I predict he takes NBR next week as well.

Farrell could win SAG

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.