Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 4)

2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 504 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Victor
Bonehead
Moviebuff22

• MysticMagix
    Topics:

I’ll try! So, first of all, as I’ve said on here multiple times, I don’t hate Butler’s performance and actually thought he was very good. He was charming and electric. And I personally am absolutely fine with him getting a nomination. Winning would be souring for me because I grade on a curve for actors who are basing their performances on real-life, popularized figures. Someone who has access to hundreds of hours of footage, extensive archival information, books (and usually autobiographies) & interviews with friends and loved ones etc. of the person they are playing just has to assemble that information and develop how to show it so that when people watch them they think “oh yeah, they look/sound/have the same quirks/etc. as X!” Becoming the person is just remarkably less interesting to me than creating a character. And yes, Butler became a fantastic Elvis. But that takes less work & less creative effort. I find even an exceptional biographical portrayal to be less impressive than a very good performance of an original character. Additionally, biographical performances tend toward the more bombastic — folded into a biographical performance you’ll always get those pieces that are catnip to voters: they’re gonna sing, or dance, or give an impassioned and recognized speech, re-enact some memorable historical moment, or whatever depending on who they’re playing. And of course that’s certainly a big thing with non-biopic performances too: everyone is looking for the big, showy scene where they cry and scream or punch a wall or whatever so everyone can clap and go “wow that’s ACTING.” But I find subtle performances INFINITELY more impressive than those showy ones, and you just don’t get that in biopic roles. Because, hey, then why are we gonna make a movie about that person? So while I am always less moved by biopic performances, I think that second part is the crux of me being so against specifically Butler winning. Because this year he happens to be going against Farrell, who crafted an original, wonderful character and played a role that masterfully utilizes that subtlety and nuance — he doesn’t really have that “big” scene. It’s not showy. The performance is comprised of moments where the way he moves those fabulous eyebrows or tilts his mouth in a particular way tells you everything you need to know and breaks your heart. That kind of performance is SO unrecognized so often. Plenty of performances this year, lots of performances last year, and plenty of performances EVERY year are ignored for even a nomination that masterfully display that kind of understated delicateness. And it grinds my gears every year. So the idea of one of those performances finally getting some real recognition is so refreshing to me. So it’s not just the idea of him winning for me, it’s what it would mean if he wins over Farrell especially in a year like this, when that subtle performance can FINALLY win one. It would reinforce that no matter how good you are in an original role, no matter the circumstances, the Academy is just going to hand it to the biopic actor in an ok movie who did pretty good. Why bother doing anything original anymore? Everyone go join a biopic and get your Oscar. EDIT: Goddamn sorry, I did not mean to write the Odyssey over here

Wut in the world….

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

sissyfritz
    Topics:

Just want to throw my own two cents in:

I don’t dislike biopics or the actors in them at all, it’s just frustrating to constantly hear the same praise thrown out that someone is “completely unrecognizable” or has “lost themselves in a character” when covered head-to-toe in heavy makeup or prosthetics or, as previously mentioned by others, giving performances that already have a huge built-in fanbase. That’s not to say that great acting doesn’t rise above that or that those things aren’t necessary for a believable connection to the role, it’s just that it seems to be the deciding factor in so many awards decisions lately.

Colin Farrell, interestingly enough, is a known entity to the vast majority of audiences. He has the reputation of being this wise-cracking, Irish bad-boy looker that is sometimes a little rough-around-the-edges, and yet, I can’t imagine anyone who watched Banshees and sat there thinking “God, he’s hot.” His immersion into the character was so believable, without any film tricks, and yet there’s very little mention of how impressive that was. It just seems like performances of this nature have been overshadowed for the past decade by flashier works and I, personally (just my opinion), would hate to see that happen again.

For the record, I do think that Butler was very good and I’m looking forward to what he does next, I just don’t think he was the best in this particular year.

MysticMagix
    Topics:

Anyways…congrats austin on your oscar!!!

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Butz
    Topics:

Just want to throw my own two cents in:

I don’t dislike biopics or the actors in them at all, it’s just frustrating to constantly hear the same praise thrown out that someone is “completely unrecognizable” or has “lost themselves in a character” when covered head-to-toe in heavy makeup or prosthetics or, as previously mentioned by others, giving performances that already have a huge built-in fanbase. That’s not to say that great acting doesn’t rise above that or that those things aren’t necessary for a believable connection to the role, it’s just that it seems to be the deciding factor in so many awards decisions lately.

Colin Farrell, interestingly enough, is a known entity to the vast majority of audiences. He has the reputation of being this wise-cracking, Irish bad-boy looker that is sometimes a little rough-around-the-edges, and yet, I can’t imagine anyone who watched Banshees and sat there thinking “God, he’s hot.” His immersion into the character was so believable, without any film tricks, and yet there’s very little mention of how impressive that was. It just seems like performances of this nature have been overshadowed for the past decade by flashier works and I, personally (just my opinion), would hate to see that happen again.

For the record, I do think that Butler was very good and I’m looking forward to what he does next, I just don’t think he was the best in this particular year.

That’s such an astute observation. I find it incredibly frustrating myself that people talk about transformations only when it’s an actor unrecognizably hidden behind prosthetics. I mean, look at Colin Farrell in the trailer during the “you liked me yesterday” scene and then when he says “we’ll call it the start”. That’s not even the same face anymore! He literally transforms over the course of the movie along with his character just through superb acting. I get that people looooove these biopic performances (and there are good ones, Pablo Larraín and Kristen Stewart made Diana into a true character last year rather than just a celebrity impersonation) but calling them the biggest transformation of the year when performances like Farrell’s in Banshees exist is kind of absurd.

For Your Consideration:
    The Banshees of Inisherin in ALL categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Actor (Colin Farrell)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Brendan Gleeson)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Barry Keoghan)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Kerry Condon)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Sheila Flitton)
    - Best Original Screenplay

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

K Olivia
    Topics:

Brendan Fraser isn’t over in the least bit. These overreactions are quite dramatic. He’s still a top 3 contender in this category.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Moviebuff22
    Topics:

Brendan Fraser is easily third, at worst. He’s a lock for a nomination lol cmon

Picture: Banshees, Top Gun
    Actor: Farrell, Fraser, Butler
    Supporting Actor: Gleeson

Viridiana
    Topics:

Well, the audience showed up so the hype was not that “fabricated”.

Despite no noise on the wide side, A24’s Darren Aronofsky directed Brendan Fraser drama The Whale is headed to the best theater average of 2022, unseating the studio’s Everything Everywhere All at Once ($50K per theater) with $60k or $360K over three days at six NYC and LA theaters. That provides some hope for prestige Oscar bait dramas.

Weekend Box Office At $37M Near 2022 Low Before ‘Avatar: The Way Of Water’ Soaks Up All The Air

MichelleReign
    Topics:

Well, the audience showed up so the hype was not that “fabricated”. https://deadline.com/2022/12/box-office-avatar-way-of-water-wakanda-forever-second-lowest-1235195382/embed/#?secret=jDs5RwFBtE#?secret=FQ0c7iP24l

This is wonderful! I hope it sustains because a lot of the initial audience tends to be film buffs.

Topics:

Evan
    Topics:

Love that Gabriel LaBelle nom!

Topics:

Moviebuff22
    Topics:

From what I’ve seen regular folks and awards bodies like The Whale better than Critics…. Gives me Joker vibes

Regardless of the online Stan’s,

It’s Farrell Vs. Fraser, Butler is 3rd.

Picture: Banshees, Top Gun
    Actor: Farrell, Fraser, Butler
    Supporting Actor: Gleeson

KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Well, the audience showed up so the hype was not that “fabricated”. https://deadline.com/2022/12/box-office-avatar-way-of-water-wakanda-forever-second-lowest-1235195382/embed/#?secret=jDs5RwFBtE#?secret=FQ0c7iP24l

There are so many movies that do well in limited and flop when they open wide.

Cair
    Topics:

Anyways…congrats austin on your oscar!!!

He isn’t going to win the Oscar. Sorry to break it to you.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actor (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.