Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 1)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 501 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
babypook
Setia_Yasmine..
Manav
  • Profile picture
    smartypants27
    Topics:

Who cares about WOC!! I just want to see actual good performances to be nominated rather than this equality stuff. If Ackie or King get nominated but their performance was bad and Davis’ performance was really good then it would be crap. Same if Blanchett and Robbie missed out because they had to let all nationalities/race into the academy…

Profile picture
    smartypants27
    Topics:

But I do see where u r coming from nevertheless

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Idk, it seems like Viola Davis and Naomi Ackie are going to have strong narratives and campaign hard, and EEAAO could be a strong overall contender. I don’t think the Academy can keep woc out of lead actress forever, and this is looking like a promising year where it might finally happen again.

That would be very cool but I won’t get my hopes up too high. Viola Davis seems poised to get a lead win eventually, not sure it will be for The Woman King tho.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Who cares about WOC!! I just want to see actual good performances to be nominated rather than this equality stuff. If Ackie or King get nominated but their performance was bad and Davis’ performance was really good then it would be crap. Same if Blanchett and Robbie missed out because they had to let all nationalities/race into the academy…

LOL. This is going based on the presumptions that the acting branch is unable to nominate mediocre performance from White actresses when last year Kidman was nominated for Being The Ricardos.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Naomi Ackie, Danielle Deadwyler, Regina King and/or Viola Davis making it in alongside Robbie (or Mulligan, or Blanchett, or Williams, or Pugh, et al. – this year, so much to see!) would be amazing. I expect the overwhelming number of strong contenders this season will doubtless mean many worthy candidates just aren’t going to make it in. So many potential powerhouse turns are lined up for the months ahead, and we’re here for them… I’m also low-key hoping for Bones & All‘s Taylor Russell – a left-field surprise from that kind of unconventional potential cult breakout would be amazing!

FYC
    Best Picture: "Showing Up" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Kelly Reichardt; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Michelle Williams; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Hong Chau, Heather Lawless, Amanda Plummer; Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Judd Hirsch, Andre Benjamin, John Magaro; Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Kelly Reichardt, Jonathan Raymond
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

And Naomi needs get the same it girl treatment that Vikander, Nyongo, Robbie, Lawrence, etc got when they broke through. (magazine covers, fashion deals, etc) I mean she’s playing an icon..

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

And I want to see more women of color get better roles that could be in contention. We wouldn’t even be having this conversation if Hollywood didn’t prioritize white actors and stories first and foremost.

and why would they get nominated in the first place if their performance was bad? I’m not understanding…

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

LOL. This is going based on the presumptions that the acting branch is unable to nominate mediocre performance from White actresses when last year Kidman was nominated for Being The Ricardos.

Nicole was great in her film.

Profile picture
    habbiejane
    Topics:

I am a big fan of Elsie, she was so mature and good in the crying scene with her dad.

Profile picture
    GWalters
    Topics:

Not only is it embarrassing that only one black actress has ever won the best actress oscar but in the entire history of the Oscars there’s only been 2 years when two black actresses have been nominated for Best Actress in the same year (1972 and 2020), meanwhile no asian actress has ever been nominated for best actress. Yet people act confused or annoyed when there are complaints of the lack of diversity amongst leading nominees.

I have a feeling this year we may get two black actresses and an asian actress finally nominated for Best Actress which would be history making and I’m here for it.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

First test screening for I Wanna Dance With Somebody https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/4/0ccxraaltplozr6c44pbi2ejq4i118

So… Another meh biopic with a great lead

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

First predix

-Blanchett
    -Colman
    -Davis
    -Robbie
    -Yeoh

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

3. Cate Blanchett, TAR (Being severely underestimated here. Cate Blanchett is an industry icon who made into SAG last year for Nightmare Alley. She’s beloved and might be a really strong contender. The thing that harms is that she’s already a two time winner but I don’t know how much that matters. Todd Field has a terrific track record- In The Bedroom got in Sissy Spacek in Lead Actress, Tom Wilkinson in Lead Actor and Marisa Tomei in Supporting Actress along with nominations for Screenplay and Picture. Little Children got in Kate Winslet for Lead Actress and Jackie Earle Haley in Supporting Actor in addition to Screenplay. Moreover, both Spacek and Winslet got nominated at all the five major award bodies. Blanchett plays a fictional first female orchestra conductor and her orchestra scenes were shot in front of a live audience. It’s really baity and won’t be surprised if she wins. )

I’ll get bragging rights if Cate does get nominated/win since I predicted her when most on this forum didn’t. Go Cate!

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Not this random meltdown from my comment about how this might be a year where a woc wins. Now I understand why all of your predictions are only white people in every single category.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    LAINELAVIGNE
    Topics:

No Asian woman has ever been nominated in this category??! Wtf… I wanna puke. Michelle Yeoh must avenge our robbed Asian sistahs and get that damn trophy. She gave the performance of a lifetime period.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.