Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 1)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 501 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
babypook
Setia_Yasmine..
Manav
  • Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I don’t buy both getting into Screenplay. Both are really similar subject matters that a lot (and by lot, I really mean A LOT) of people are uncomfortable with. The industry has a lot of vocal artists who voice against sexual abuse, but there are also a lot of people who don’t like discussing and also a few who’d likely want the matter to be buried. Not to mention a lot of people who are sympathetic to some abusers. Unfortunately.

I share your concern but I think some people may be overstating the similarity between the two movies, and how they will be perceived.  Women Talking concerns Mennonite women in Bolivia coming together after more than hundred women and girls in their colony had repeatedly been drugged and raped in the night by the men of their colony who told them they were demons coming to punish them for their sins. She Said appears to be a journalism procedural which largely, but not exclusively, focuses on the investigation of Weinstein’s abuses in Hollywood by NY Times reporters.  I suspect that a lot of  AMPAS voters who want to “bury” the Weinstein story and are “sympathetic to some abusers” won’t be particularly sensitive to or troubled by Women Talking because in their minds its subject matter doesn’t directly or even indirectly concern them.

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Isn’t that five words?

lmao it was a joke because daniel kaluuya wasn’t even in contention

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

I think Naomi ackie is super talented (I really wanted her to get the nomination and be win competitive for master of none… alas) but I just don’t like her casting for Whitney. For one, she doesn’t look anything like her, which i don’t think is absolutely necessary for an actor to be in a biopic, but it certainly does help. But secondly, she’s not singing which I suppose is because she’s not Whitney level? That right there is enough for me to be displeased. It’s just so inauthentic. When acting you are supposed to inhabit a character, not lip sync… When you don’t have the actor portraying the singer sing, it loses something. I actually love Rami Malek’s performance unlike most people on here, but I still concede that it wasn’t as good as it could have been, with one reason being the lack of singing. I really wish they had cast Brandy, Zendaya, or a McClain (or Amandla Stenberg, Yara Shahidi, or especially Keke Palmer if any of them can sing). Oh well. She’ll probably give a great performance, but I am absolutely sure it will feel slightly like a mimic.

Emmys FYC:

Comedy Series - Abbott Elementary, Atlanta, Barry, The Great, Hacks, Only Murders in the Building, Reservation Dogs, Ted Lasso, What We Do in the Shadows

Drama Series - Better Call Saul, Ozark, Pachinko, Severance, Squid Game, Stranger Things, Succession, This Is Us, Yellowjackets

Limited Series - Station Eleven

Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

I think this is Margot Robbie’s time, let’s face it we all known she’s bound to get one eventually, this is a Chazelle’s movie, the script looks really appealing and she has at least 4/5 Oscar worthy scenes.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I love Margot but her winning her first Oscar for playing another ingenue as opposed to a revelatory performance like in I, Tonya in a year where Emma Thompson, Michelle Yeoh and potentially Olivia Colman, Danielle Deadwyler, Zoe Kazan, Regina King, Carey Mulligan and Michelle Williams are all playing strong and very original and/or usually unheard of on screen characters would be one of the most cliched choices the AMPAS have ever made.

I’m looking forward to seeing Babylon as a film though.

Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

I love Margot but her winning her first Oscar for playing another ingenue as opposed to a revelatory performance like in I, Tonya in a year where Emma Thompson, Michelle Yeoh and potentially Olivia Colman, Danielle Deadwyler, Zoe Kazan, Regina King, Carey Mulligan and Michelle Williams are all playing strong and very original and/or usually unheard of on screen characters would be one of the most cliched choices the AMPAS have ever made.

I’m looking forward to seeing Babylon as a film though.

There’s nothing ingenue about that character lol, trust me. From what I read it looks like a JLaw in Silver Linings meets Tarantino lol

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

There’s nothing ingenue about that character lol, trust me. From what I read it looks like a JLaw in Silver Linings meets Tarantino lol

you are telling me chazelle will win screenplay , you are making me excited lol

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I love Margot but her winning her first Oscar for playing another ingenue as opposed to a revelatory performance like in I, Tonya in a year where Emma Thompson, Michelle Yeoh and potentially Olivia Colman, Danielle Deadwyler, Zoe Kazan, Regina King, Carey Mulligan and Michelle Williams are all playing strong and very original and/or usually unheard of on screen characters would be one of the most cliched choices the AMPAS have ever made. I’m looking forward to seeing Babylon as a film though.

Agreed. I feel like she’s being pushed as the ultimate (and for that matter, unbeatable) winner by many when there are still other contenders and films we have to get through this year. And if it’s true that she has bait scene after bait scene, that would be kind of an underwhelming win compared to some potentially more inspiring and experimental choices. I do love her as an actress though and I’m also quite excited to see Babylon.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

I love Margot but her winning her first Oscar for playing another ingenue as opposed to a revelatory performance like in I, Tonya in a year where Emma Thompson, Michelle Yeoh and potentially Olivia Colman, Danielle Deadwyler, Zoe Kazan, Regina King, Carey Mulligan and Michelle Williams are all playing strong and very original and/or usually unheard of on screen characters would be one of the most cliched choices the AMPAS have ever made. I’m looking forward to seeing Babylon as a film though.

Williams would probably go supporting unless she gets steven yeuned same as  Kazan

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Then she’s winning the Oscar. If it is what you describe, it will be a hell of a showy role with some terrific dialogue, something like a Julian Fellowes script.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    K Olivia
    Topics:

Not the insipid lip sync argument again. Even if a professional singer were hired to portray Whitney, they more than likely would’ve mimed along to her voice as well. She was known as “The Voice” for a reason. No one can duplicate her vocal instrument. It should be about the overall dramatic weight of the performance itself rather than going in on minute issues that feel nit picky and petty.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

I share your concern but I think some people may be overstating the similarity between the two movies, and how they will be perceived. Women Talking concerns Mennonite women in Bolivia coming together after more than hundred women and girls in their colony had repeatedly been drugged and raped in the night by the men of their colony who told them they were demons coming to punish them for their sins. She Said appears to be a journalism procedural which largely, but not exclusively, focuses on the investigation of Weinstein’s abuses in Hollywood by NY Times reporters. I suspect that a lot of AMPAS voters who want to “bury” the Weinstein story and are “sympathetic to some abusers” won’t be particularly sensitive to or troubled by Women Talking because in their minds its subject matter doesn’t directly or even indirectly concern them.

I’m compelled to say there’s truth in your analysis and it makes me fucking want to PUKE. Plus, there’s Weinstein fatigue and his enablers won’t want to go there again.
    Of the two Women Talking is clearly the more Oscar palatable. And a story that needs to be told.
    Btw have you seen Polley’s Stories We Tell?

The Sunne in Splendour.
    I prefer my roses white

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Darling, I’m gonna throw up.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Tang Wei, Decision To Leave
    Rebecca Hall, Resurrection

James Hong & Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All At Once

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Williams would probably go supporting unless she gets steven yeuned same as Kazan

I’m talking about Williams in Showing Up not in The Fabelmans.

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

I’m asking about Williams in Showing Up not in The Fabelmans.

god i wish the critics hype that film

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.