Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 14)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 462 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Troll_Hunter
Mladen
Axel

• jjjmoss
    Topics:

Also I don’t remember Lady Gaga getting nominated for the Oscar.

right.

and i guess her co-star jared leto just wasn’t subtle enough since he won a razzie.

MichelleReign
    Topics:

Yeoh, Blanchett, Danielle stans snatching each other’s head only for Robbie to take it all!

H_H_
    Topics:

Yeoh, Blanchett, Danielle stans snatching each other’s head only for Robbie to take it all!

There aren’t that many stans. A few people with multiple accounts saying the same shit over and over again.

nkb325
    Topics:

My personal lineup:

1. Michelle Yeoh (EEAAO)
    2. Cate Blanchett (Tar)
    3. Naomi Ackie (I Wanna Dance with Somebody)
    4. Michelle Williams (The Fabelmans)
    5. Thuso Mbedu (The Woman King)

6. Danielle Deadwyler (Till)
    7. Aubrey Plaza (Emily the Criminal)
    8. Viola Davis (The Woman King)

Have yet to see Babylon, Decision to Leave, or Pearl.

I did see Good Luck to You Leo Grande and thought Thompson was very good, but not particularly oscar worthy imo. Darryl McCormack was the real standout in that movie for me and I genuinely don’t understand why there was so much talk about her for best actress and virtually 0 for him in best actor.

I also wasn’t too impressed with De Armas in Blonde. She gave what Dominick wanted I think, but she failed to really capture the contradictions in Monroe’s persona and didn’t get much opportunity to show variety in her performance.

ejaru1810
    Topics:

I love that Babylon’s new trailer showed a lot of Robbie. She looks great, I have her in my top 5.

Also, the lack of Smart for 2nd trailer in a row makes me confortable that she’s not happening.

laslo
    Topics:

My personal lineup: 1. Michelle Yeoh (EEAAO) 2. Cate Blanchett (Tar) 3. Naomi Ackie (I Wanna Dance with Somebody) 4. Michelle Williams (The Fabelmans) 5. Thuso Mbedu (The Woman King) – 6. Danielle Deadwyler (Till) 7. Aubrey Plaza (Emily the Criminal) 8. Viola Davis (The Woman King) Have yet to see Babylon, Decision to Leave, or Pearl. I did see Good Luck to You Leo Grande and thought Thompson was very good, but not particularly oscar worthy imo. Darryl McCormack was the real standout in that movie for me and I genuinely don’t understand why there was so much talk about her for best actress and virtually 0 for him in best actor.

Have you seen I Wanna Dance with Somebody? If so, what did you think of the film as a whole?

MD
    Topics:

I love that Babylon’s new trailer showed a lot of Robbie. She looks great, I have her in my top 5. Also, the lack of Smart for 2nd trailer in a row makes me confortable that she’s not happening.

Robbie does look great. As for the film flopping, aren’t they all lmao?

laslo
    Topics:

Kind of irrelevant, but my list of nominees would be:

1. Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    2. Rooney Mara, Women Talking
    3. Ana de Armas, Blonde
    4. Anamaria Vartolomei, L’événement
    5. Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans

6. Cate Blanchett, Tár
    7. Mia Goth, Pearl
    8. Viola Davis, The Woman King

Any one of these eight performances would make great nominees in my opinion, but I believe only three of them will actually get nominated.

nkb325
    Topics:

Have you seen I Wanna Dance with Somebody? If so, what did you think of the film as a whole?

I have seen an unfinished but like 99% of the way there cut and I actually liked it way more than I thought I would. It is much better than the trailer suggested, this is much more of an Eve’s Bayou Kasi Lemmons than a Self Made Kasi Lemmons. I also understand why McCarten keeps getting oscars for his performers the script gives her a TON to do without ever making it feel forced or unnatural for the story. Succeeds in ALMOST feeling like a character study of someone you might be interested in even if they weren’t real, which is really the best you can hope for from a cradle to grave biopic imo. I shouldn’t say too much lest I get fired lol but as far as biopics go this is a good one and Ackie delivers.

With all that said though, it DOES follow the basic narrative beats of the standard musician biopic, so while I think it adds a lot of nuance and texture to that structure, I wouldn’t be shocked if critics are not as excited about it as I am.

In terms of other oscar nominations, the makeup and costumes are not particularly showy so that’s probably a long shot (although once you see how different Ackie looks in real life it’s crazy so they might be able to mount a campaign there). The musical sequences are all excellent though so a sound nomination (and maybe even editing) is very possible.

MichelleReign
    Topics:

I don’t know how accurate early predictions by LA Times are but it’s telling that despite 2/6 not predicting EEAAO for Best Picture and no one has voted for Daniels for Best Director, almost everyone is vouching for Yeoh’s nomination. I feel even if the older audience isn’t receptive to the film, they will at least want to acknowledge Yeoh in this category.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/awards/story/2022-11-11/buzzmeter-oscars-2023-behold-the-buzz#leadactress

Also, Colman still being in Top 5 is… interesting

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Selma Linda
    Topics:

I have seen an unfinished but like 99% of the way there cut and I actually liked it way more than I thought I would. It is much better than the trailer suggested, this is much more of an Eve’s Bayou Kasi Lemmons than a Self Made Kasi Lemmons. I also understand why McCarten keeps getting oscars for his performers the script gives her a TON to do without ever making it feel forced or unnatural for the story. Succeeds in ALMOST feeling like a character study of someone you might be interested in even if they weren’t real, which is really the best you can hope for from a cradle to grave biopic imo. I shouldn’t say too much lest I get fired lol but as far as biopics go this is a good one and Ackie delivers. With all that said though, it DOES follow the basic narrative beats of the standard musician biopic, so while I think it adds a lot of nuance and texture to that structure, I wouldn’t be shocked if critics are not as excited about it as I am. In terms of other oscar nominations, the makeup and costumes are not particularly showy so that’s probably a long shot (although once you see how different Ackie looks in real life it’s crazy so they might be able to mount a campaign there). The musical sequences are all excellent though so a sound nomination (and maybe even editing) is very possible.

What about Ashton Sanders and Stanley Tucci? Do they have any chance of nomination??

ejaru1810
    Topics:

Even when I didn’t love her performance like many did, I’ll stick with Yeoh till the end unless she loses SAG. She gives me Zendaya in Euphoria S1 vibes, someone who gets the nominations and her momentum becomes undeniable.

Like someone said before, SAG will happen a couple of days before the final voting starts and I’m sure Yeoh will deliver a terrific speech and take all the momentum with her (especially if the cast and Quan win too).

KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Anyway she is an amazing actress and Lady Gaga will never be a good actress.

Lady Gaga has an Oscar nomination for best actress and Mia Goth isn’t getting one for a horror movie that nobody has seen. You can scream and sob about it but Lady Gaga still has an Oscar nomination, two SAG and two BAFTA nominations.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 462 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.