Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 14)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 462 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Troll_Hunter
Mladen
Axel

• Mladen
    Topics:

It is so funny how we talk about competitions, fighting, campaigns and stuff sometimes even nastily criticizing those we dislike, when these amazing women show such incredible respect for each other. At the end of the day, seeing such wonderful support among them… Que sera, sera…

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Smart campaigning, if she gets in at the Globes this season could be interesting

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

MichelleReign
    Topics:

Besides the competition, Yeoh is certainly getting hurt by Quan leading the Supporting Actor race. I don’t see the Academy going all out there for this film and rewarding two actors from the cast! A reality where that happens will be a dream come true, but it does effect her chances somewhere.

Mladen
    Topics:

ides the competition, Yeoh is certainly hurt by Quan leading the Supporting Actor race. I don’t see the Academy going all out there for this film and rewarding two actors from the cast! A reality where that happens will be a dream come true, but it does effect her chances somewhere.

Well, they can both win. It is possible and we have seen “The Fighter”, “Dallas Buyers Club” and “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”. And if they could have done it, so can EEAAO.

The issue is that I can see Academy trying to “spread the wealth” as much as they can. In this climate, I have hard time seeing that one movie takes all the major prizes. So, it all depends how will they award each movie. EEAAO is probably going for the Best Picture, Director and Original Screenplay, Actress, Supporting Actor and possibly Supporting Actress. So, if one of two main category + Screenplay + Supporting Actor become undeniable, I can see them choosing Williams, Deadwyler or Blanchett instead.

Then, of course, they might not care. They love the performance, they love Yeoh, so they might go for her all the way.

The best thing for Yeoh in terms of this race is that this crystalizes early as “Yeoh vs Blanchett” race. Globes are probably the best place for it.

juniperberry
    Topics:

Besides the competition, Yeoh is certainly getting hurt by Quan leading the Supporting Actor race. I don’t see the Academy going all out there for this film and rewarding two actors from the cast! A reality where that happens will be a dream come true, but it does effect her chances somewhere.

This. I’m concerned for Yeoh. I know Gotham and the Sunrise awards don’t factor heavily into the Oscars, but they might still add to narratives of ‘we’ll reward EEAO through Quan’ and ‘Yeoh’s nomination will be the reward’.

There are nuances in Yeoh’s performance that might go over people’s heads like effortlessly switching between different languages, the physical comedy, etc.

If they spread the wealth this season and each of the top contenders get a televised speech, I’m happy.

MichelleReign
    Topics:

Well, they can both win. It is possible and we have seen “The Fighter”, “Dallas Buyers Club” and “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”. And if they could have done it, so can EEAAO.

Yes but those films also appealed a lot to the Oscars. EEAAO is not a traditional emotional drama, it is a Sci-Fi action film foremost.

The issue is that I can see Academy trying to “spread the wealth” as much as they can. In this climate, I have hard time seeing that one movie takes all the major prizes. So, it all depends how will they award each movie. EEAAO is probably going for the Best Picture, Director and Original Screenplay, Actress, Supporting Actor and possibly Supporting Actress. So, if one of two main category + Screenplay + Supporting Actor become undeniable, I can see them choosing Williams, Deadwyler or Blanchett instead.

Pretty much this. Also, Deadwyler and Blanchett might eventually be the only winners from their films. I understand that this isn’t how an academy approaches any category but I don’t see EEAAO being an overwhelming favorite to sweep all major categories.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

BigJay2012
    Topics:

Not a fan of Lady Gaga, but she should have gotten in over Kidman in that stale biopic. She won one of the trifecta, made all the precursors. Her snub was just weird.

Nah. Kidman’s PERFORMANCE was better.

Mladen
    Topics:

Not buying it’s “Blanchett vs Yeoh” at all here. I don’t see any indication that it’s between those two.

I haven’t said it is. What I said it would be good for Yeoh to get to that public mindset because as the only newcomer facing two-time Oscar winner, she has better chances to rallying support for her. It’s the same for Williams, Deadwyler, Ackie. Blanchett is a Volpi Cup winner, she has been awarded highest awards at important festival stops, she is in a movie that will most likely be Best Picture nominee. Whoever is coming for Oscar will also have to face her. She established herself as the current frontrunner. Or better say, industry has done that.

Pretty much this. Also, Deadwyler and Blanchett might eventually be the only winners from their films. I understand that this isn’t how an academy approaches any category but I don’t see EEAAO being an overwhelming favorite to sweep all major categories.

If we speak about that spreading the wealth, the thing remains that if Academy wants to award TAR in one category, it would be Best Actress. I mean, Field, Hoss, Hildur, Hoffmeister… There hasn’t been any interview with any member of this crew that Blanchett wasn’t mentioned several times. If TAR gets several nominations and Academy shows love for the movie, I would argue that Blanchett may exploit the fact that most people find her the best part of the movie and the one that should be awarded for TAR.

Chitanda170
    Topics:

Speaking of Nicole she should be nominated for best supporting actress for The Northman, what an actress

Cosmia
    Topics:

Lady Gaga is not in a movie this year, and is irrelevant to the current award slate. Stop bringing her up every five minutes.

nkb325
    Topics:

Then, of course, they might not care. They love the performance, they love Yeoh, so they might go for her all the way.

The best thing for Yeoh in terms of this race is that this crystalizes early as “Yeoh vs Blanchett” race. Globes are probably the best place for it.

It’s also worth noting that none of the movies you mentioned won best picture. They were all nominees, but also rans. If EEAAO does end up becoming the Best Picture frontrunner, I do see it struggling to ALSO take home two acting awards.

I actually think what could help Yeoh the most is if the Daniels become obvious also rans in Director (maybe to Spielberg?) While I struggle to see the movie basically sweep all of the above the line categories, I could see a scenario where they’re giving Best Director to someone else, so then decide they will reward Yeoh as a sort of authorial voice behind the movie. Same thing if it becomes a Best Picture also ran, I do not see it leaving the oscars with ONLY Quan as a winner, or even only Quan and screenplay. Basically I see the movie winning 2-3 of Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, and Best Supporting actor, but definitely not all 4.

kamila
    Topics:

If TAR gets several nominations and Academy shows love for the movie, I would argue that Blanchett may exploit the fact that most people find her the best part of the movie and the one that should be awarded for TAR.

I still think there’s potential for the love for the film to cluster around Field and the screenplay. Even among film twitter, the fans of the movie are all obsessing over Tar as a character. Of course, Blanchett plays her, but Field conceived of the character and envisioned her in the role. I know he has this perception as a bit of an outsider but I think some could see this as an opportunity to reward him.

Victor
    Topics:

The woman has 4 SAG nods, 2 BAFTA nods, an Oscar nod and 3 GG nods (1 win), an NYFCC, an NBR for ACTING and y’all are still happy because she got snubbed one time? Like several actors before her and many more that will come after her? LMAOOOOO, she’s doing fine and 2024 awaits for her to collect more nods across the board and hopefully her 2nd Oscar nod.

Now let’s get back to this year’s race shall we.

Please! These gays, they're trying to murder me!

Victor
    Topics:

Well, i hope Quan does win and the acting branch has to reward Banshees in other category (sorry Condon)

Please! These gays, they're trying to murder me!

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 462 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.