Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 14)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 462 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Troll_Hunter
Mladen
Axel

• TrumpBiden
    Topics:

1. Ana De Armas is not happening. That ship has sailed. The movie is dead and it should stay that way. 2. Let’s not confuse how much we like the performance with its chances with Academy. I know that Tang Wei was brilliant and I would have picked her over Williams any given day, but I know that is not how Academy works. Same with Mia Goth, who would be perfect for 5th slot. But her visibility and visibility of Davis, Colman or Robbie are incomparable. So, when it comes to Deadwyler, I think only few here didn’t like her performance. I don’t consider it better than Blanchett, nor do I think she is lock. Blanchett is in the only highbrow movie of the year, a movie that is getting significant awards across the independent scenes, and Blanchett is, at this point, more than safe for nomination as her film is getting into Best Picture, plus several other categories. Deadwyler on the other hand is the sole nominee of her movie, she is a newcomer and there are contesting narratives to her victory. I doubt she will miss, I don’t see it happening, but given the exposure Blanchett and Yeoh have been receiving lately, I doubt she is safer than those two. 3. Personal preferences are not up to debate, but there is no objective way we can say Blanchett “isn’t good in a good movie”. This is a performance of universal acclaim, with a commanding presence and it does seem that people like it more and more with streaming option. If Blanchett wins, it won’t be undeserving, no matter what anyone’s preference may be. She is simply THAT good.

Lol this. People sometimes on this forum forget that just because someone had the best performance of the year, doesn’t mean that The Academy will give a shit.

Mladen
    Topics:

Lol this. People sometimes on this forum forget that just because someone had the best performance of the year, doesn’t mean that The Academy will give a shit.

I am not sure what you refer to.

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

Barbra Please
    Topics:

Darling, Mommie Deadwyler is so amazingly understated and powerful in Till. But the excessive use of loud instrumental music kinda ruined the viewing experience for me a bit. She’s in the top three for me.

Along with Yeoh, Blanchett, and Deadwyler in the mix, (and I hope either De Armas, Wei, or Goth fill the remaining two slots) this will be an all timer lineup.

This will be a half trashy lineup if the likes of Annoying Goofy Wig, Crackhead Quinn, or Crack Is Whack manages to get in.

wolfali
    Topics:

4-9 million. 💀💀💀💀 YIIIIKES.

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Lol and to think people were saying that things weren’t looking good for I Wanna Dance with Somebody’s commercial prospects because of Babylon when it’s projected to make more than 5 times the amount of money than it 💀 ☠️

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

lorelei lor
    Topics:

Darling, Mommie Deadwyler is so amazingly understated and powerful in Till. But the excessive use of loud instrumental music kinda ruined the viewing experience for me a bit. She’s in the top three for me. Along with Yeoh, Blanchett, and Deadwyler in the mix, (and I hope either De Armas, Wei, or Goth fill the remaining two slots) this will be an all timer lineup. This will be a half trashy lineup if the likes of Annoying Goofy Wig, Crackhead Quinn, or Crack Is Whack manages to get in. [/quote]

Me trying to guess who this is lmao. I think Williams, Robbie and Ackie 👀

Lucas
    Topics:

I finally watched Tár. Cate is incredible, my words wouldn’t do her justice, so I’m just going to say that. A performance for the ages.

but… is she actually going to win? This film is veeery dense and subtle at the same time.

I know Frances won her third with an unconventional film-performance, but that was a weird year.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

Nomadland: BP winner

Tar: no

AmnistY21
    Topics:

I finally watched Tár. Cate is incredible, my words wouldn’t do her justice, so I’m just going to say that. A performance for the ages. but… is she actually going to win? This film is veeery dense and subtle at the same time. I know Frances won her third with an unconventional film-performance, but that was a weird year.

Yeah, I watched it a few days ago and she’s an absolute beast in this. Whew just incredible. Whether she gets the Oscar or not we still win because she gave us this great performance.

Barbra Please
    Topics:

Darling, Mommie Deadwyler is so amazingly understated and powerful in Till. But the excessive use of loud instrumental music kinda ruined the viewing experience for me a bit. She’s in the top three for me. Along with Yeoh, Blanchett, and Deadwyler in the mix, (and I hope either De Armas, Wei, or Goth fill the remaining two slots) this will be an all timer lineup. This will be a half trashy lineup if the likes of Annoying Goofy Wig, Crackhead Quinn, or Crack Is Whack manages to get in. [/quote] Me trying to guess who this is lmao. I think Williams, Robbie and Ackie 👀

100% correct darling.

Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

Barbara Please is back! Yeah! How did your paper go?

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: Holy Spider
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser
    Best Supporting Actress: Olivia de Leon

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Just got home from seeing The Fabelmans and for me it is Michelle Williams’s best performance. Speilberg has a deserved reputation for crafting female characters very poorly – until West Side Story that was mostly true – he has always been a “boy’s world” (more than a “man’s world”) type of a director (no wonder he admires John Ford and his movies!). Williams delivers a flashy and fully realized portrait of an artistic woman who has given in to the dictates of her time as to where a ‘woman’s place’ is – and the pain of it and price of it is illuminated in her wonderful performance. She definitely deserves an Oscar nomination and she is right up there with Danielle Deadwyler for me (I disliked TAR and Cate Blanchett’s ‘performance’ intensely). I would not mind at all if Williams were to win the Oscar for this performance (or any other awards along the way).

Rachel615
    Topics:

I think it’s so interesting that there is such a wide range of views about Michelle Williams’s performance in The Fabelmans. Personally, I’m having a little difficulty distinguishing how I feel about the character Williams plays, and how I feel about the performance itself.

Mladen
    Topics:

I think it’s so interesting that there is such a wide range of views about Michelle Williams’s performance in The Fabelmans. Personally, I’m having a little difficulty distinguishing how I feel about the character Williams plays, and how I feel about the performance itself.

I’ll be watching it in a few days but it does seem that the performance is nowhere near the best we have seen this year. We’ll see how it goes down the line, but I still believe it is Blanchett vs Yeoh.

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

BigJay2012
    Topics:

Yea I’m trying to understand why Michelle is getting singled out for being “hammy”. Cate Blanchett was hammy too, in that case.

Michelle’s character was supposed to be over the top at some points. Why was she supposed to give a subdued performance when that’s not what the role or film called for?

A performance does not have to be understated to be good.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 462 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.