Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 15)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 487 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Audrey Lee
Mladen
Selma Linda

• dEdY
    Topics:

Congrats Michelle!

“She can now add NBR best actress winner to her golden day for her turn as laundromat owner Evelyn in “Everything Everywhere All at Once.” Her awards campaign can look to Brie Larson in “Room” (2015) and Renée Zellweger in “Judy” (2019) as the two past recipients that went on to win the statuette” – Variety

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Just saw She Said and WOW! Zoe Kazan and Carey Mulligan (she’s a lead for certain) were simply amazing in it! Why isn’t this film getting the love it deserves? This gets an A+ grade from me: it’s perfection, just a dazzling amazing superb movie, and their central performances are just mesmerizing! (: (: (:

Mladen
    Topics:

I am happy to see that the field has leveled a bit in terms of awards and that Yeoh has started picking up some hardware.

I am not the one to believe NBR win is a “kiss of death”. But, I did notice one interesting thing that, on the long run, may prove to be somewhat harmful for Yeoh. Has anyone noticed that Quan didn’t win? This is interesting, as EEAAO remains with one acting award per award-giving body, meaning when Quan is not winning, Yeoh rises. So far, we haven’t seen both of them winning (instead, here, we have seen “Banshees” doing exactly that). That said, it can and I suppose at some point will happen. I don’t think it is something to worry about, but it certainly points that idea that only one actor from EEAAO can win has its merits.

As for “Actors on Actors”, we need to hire Cate Blanchett as Michelle Yeoh’s campaign manager. Her praise of Yeoh’s work is so astoundingly eloquent, profoundly precise and insightful. I wanted more and more… I think six-hour episode would be the best. Amazing women, amazing talents…

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

crabbie
    Topics:

Hmm I actually think Yeoh winning without Quan destroys the notion that “Quan is the only viable contender to win” or that all of the attention has been focused on Quan.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

Mladen
    Topics:

Hmm I actually think Yeoh winning without Quan destroys the notion that “Quan is the only viable contender to win” or that all of the attention has been focused on Quan.

Have we actually ever thought that? I thought about that too, but I never thought that Michelle can’t win, which is why I was more inclined to see the other way at it. But, yeah, that’s a good point too.

juniperberry
    Topics:

I am happy to see that the field has leveled a bit in terms of awards and that Yeoh has started picking up some hardware. I am not the one to believe NBR win is a “kiss of death”. But, I did notice one interesting thing that, on the long run, may prove to be somewhat harmful for Yeoh. Has anyone noticed that Quan didn’t win? This is interesting, as EEAAO remains with one acting award per award-giving body, meaning when Quan is not winning, Yeoh rises. So far, we haven’t seen both of them winning (instead, here, we have seen “Banshees” doing exactly that). That said, it can and I suppose at some point will happen. I don’t think it is something to worry about, but it certainly points that idea that only one actor from EEAAO can win has its merits. As for “Actors on Actors”, we need to hire Cate Blanchett as Michelle Yeoh’s campaign manager. Her praise of Yeoh’s work is so astoundingly eloquent, profoundly precise and insightful. I wanted more and more… I think six-hour episode would be the best. Amazing women, amazing talents…

And both of them bonded over Jamie Lee Curtis! I love how Blanchett praised the physicality in Yeoh’s acting. Reminded how underappreciated acting in action films is (thinking of Sigourney Weaver, Charlize Theron, Zhang Ziyi and more). Yeoh gushing over Blanchett with her ‘oohs’ and ‘ahhs’ was really cute and her praising of Blanchett’s studious approach. I hope they line up a project together in the future. Maybe Curtis and Yeoh play the couple from EEAO, mothers to Blanchett.

crabbie
    Topics:

Have we actually ever thought that? I thought about that too, but I never thought that Michelle can’t win, which is why I was more inclined to see the other way at it. But, yeah, that’s a good point too.

I’ve seen some people on GD say Quan winning hurts Yeoh’s chances, but I don’t agree with it. I would say Yeoh’s chances are unaffected by Quan winning

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

GWalters
    Topics:

It does seem bizarre that Owen from Variety is raving IWDWS, he didn’t even like Elvis that much, and yet Sony have hardly had any screenings for the movie. If any film seems like it would be a slam dunk at the Golden Globes especially for best actress, it would be the Whitney Houston story..

Yet it almost feels like Sony is intentionally sabotaging its awards chances by hardly showing it anywhere which obviously doesn’t make sense. It will be interesting to see what happens with the GG nominations on Monday but if IWDWS gets no noms then Sony may only have itself to blame..

Mladen
    Topics:

I’ve seen some people on GD say Quan winning hurts Yeoh’s chances, but I don’t agree with it. I would say Yeoh’s chances are unaffected by Quan winning

I was one of those believing in “spread the joy”, thinking that two acting awards in a year like this would be a bit too much. So, seeing the reversal here, I thought that we are still in “only one actor from EEAAO wins” narrative. The same can be said for “Banshees” and Farrell and Gleeson. But given that they have won at NBR, the point it moot.

That said, two acting wins is not unheard of and given the status of the movie, being in Top3 of Best Picture, I don’t think it is impossible. Movies with far less acclaim managed to do it.

Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

Owen Gleiberman names I Wanna Dance Wirh Somebody as the 7th best film of the year. And he is praising Ackie

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: Holy Spider
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser
    Best Supporting Actress: Olivia de Leon

momo-memo
    Topics:

She’s getting stronger

The Envelope/LA Times

Best Actor : Colin Farrell, Brendan Fraser, Austin Butler, Bill Nighy

Best Actress : Michelle Yeoh, Ana de Armas, Cate Blanchett , Andrea Riseborough, Danielle Deadwyler

Victor
    Topics:

I just watched Tár, definitely not for me, but Cate was excellent from start to finish, i know her Oscar scene will probably be the “MY SCOOOOOORE”, but she has so many subtle scenes that are better and more fitting.

7/10 movie. Cate’s acting 10/10

Still #TeamYeoh

Please! These gays, they're trying to murder me!

MichelleReign
    Topics:

Danielle is finally somewhere! Yes girl

ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Whew the promo in this category in the last few days.

Would be the most perfect lineup.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 487 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.