Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 15)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 487 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Audrey Lee
Mladen
Selma Linda

• juniperberry
    Topics:

eeaao can’t win two acting awards and it seems like the supporting actor stole all the buzz away from yeoh

This. I do think people genuinely want to spread the wealth a bit and Supporting Actor is the place they’ll put their EEAO chips in. I hope, even if Blanchett takes it in the end, there are different winners along the way.

Out of all the top contenders, Yeoh’s film is sci-fi (acting in sci-fi is often undervalued) and she’s Asian (Wikipedia is counting Jolie’s Cambodian citizenship as her being Asian lolll). Statistically, those two things together, she wouldn’t even see a nomination, but I’m elated she’s part of the conversation.

My main hope is that the industry looks into more Oscary opportunities for Deadwyler, Yeoh, Goth, Plaza, Ebrahimi. I was going to write adventurous opportunities but all these women gave brave, adventurous performances this year.

I don’t know when Yeoh will get another opportunity, because the role in EEAO just aligned with her so well (even though it was originally written for Jackie Chan), but she is having a career renaissance commercially in her 60s which is incredible, so who knows?

ejaru1810
    Topics:

The main concern about Yeoh is getting more awards worthy roles with or without an Oscar. Plenty of POC women never have the opportunity again even with an Oscar under their belt. And that’s the main issue here.

And Oscar win doesn’t translate to more opportunities and many white actresses know it as well, especially those over 60.

Mladen
    Topics:

EEAAO can get two acting Oscars, but given how stacked this year is on all fronts, I can see Academy spreading the wealth. TÁR can be seen as one of those movies Academy will want to award somewhere and Blanchett seems like the most obvious choice.

The race issue is the industry problem, not only Academy. Far more important fight is for POC actors getting the roles. We see things are changing. TWK would be unimaginable 10-15 years ago. More and more POC are in constant award talks. Keke Palmer won yesterday for Best Supporting Actress. Deadwyler is the newcomer. She will get on Academy’s radar and I am sure eventually she will get it (speaking hypothetically, if it doesn’t happen this year which still may happen).

Yeoh… As was said, her career is in full creative mode. She has projects piling up, she will work. She broke the ceiling once, and I can see it happening again. She is beloved by everyone, people are rooting for her. Again, the industry and Academy is changing. What we thought is impossible 10 years before, now is a regular thing. In Top 10 actresses, we have 4-5 POC actresses. That’s what matters. Oscars will undoubtedly follow. This year, next…

I am not being just hopeful here, I am being truly realistic. We have been progressively introduced to more and more POC talent in the past 5 years that having them as nominees and winners became completely normal.

You all know I root for Blanchett, but I really want the best for all the ladies in this category. I will be happy if Yeoh or Deadwyler win at the end, I am praying to acting gods that Davis is not snubbed for nomination. I am so amazed by the talent we have this year. And after few uninspiring years, ladies really showed they can outact all the men in Best Actor category.

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

juniperberry
    Topics:

The main concern about Yeoh is getting more awards worthy roles with or without an Oscar. Plenty of POC women never have the opportunity again even with an Oscar under their belt. And that’s the main issue here. And Oscar win doesn’t translate to more opportunities and many white actresses know it as well, especially those over 60.

you’re right. thinking of Halle Berry not getting offers after her win and being surprised by it. Yeoh tapped into international markets for more complex roles, and even when they overlapped with Hollywood appeal (Crouching Tiger), she was passed over despite the film in general getting awards traction (Parasite-style). Finally being number one on the call sheet at age 60 is really heartbreaking.

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

My current thinking is that there are three locks: Blanchett, Deadwyler and Yeoh – and five actresses vying for the last two spots: Davis, Williams, Ackie, Colman and Robbie. The last 3 are in movies that I haven’t seen yet. The one thing to consider about Colman is that there is almost always one older British actress nominated most years and she is the only potential nominee that fits that criteria (I don’t consider Claire Foy to be an older actress). I am most intrigued by Babylon and wondering what Robbie brings to her role in it? As for Ackie she is an unknown and it depends on whether the film is a big hit or not (I think box office will matter in her case). So for now I have the five performances I have seen in my predictions: Blanchett (I disliked her performance intensely), Davis, Deadwyler, Williams and Yeoh.

momo-memo
    Topics:

eeaao can’t win two acting awards and it seems like the supporting actor stole all the buzz away from yeoh

why not….what about these

A Streetcar Named Desire

Three Billboard

and so on

Best Actor : Colin Farrell, Brendan Fraser, Austin Butler, Bill Nighy

Best Actress : Michelle Yeoh, Ana de Armas, Cate Blanchett , Andrea Riseborough, Danielle Deadwyler

jjjmoss
    Topics:

you’re right. thinking of Halle Berry not getting offers after her win and being surprised by it.

that was likely due to her blockbuster catwoman derailing her. she still has some starpower, like The Call doing pretty well.

Looking forward to the second sag best actress asian nominee, after Zhang Ziyi.

And the first bafta best actress nominee since Zhang Ziyi.

Selma Linda
    Topics:

Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

Critics Choice: Danielle Deadwyler
    Golden Globes: Tang Wei
    SAG: Cate Blanchett
    BAFTA: Michelle Yeoh
    Oscar: Cate Blanchett

Globes noms drama:
    Cate Blanchett
    Danielle Deadwyler
    Tang Wei
    Rooney Mara
    Mia Goth

Globes noms comedy / musical:
    Michelle Yeoh
    Naomie Ackie
    Margot Robbie
    Emma Thompson
    Keke Palmer

I may have placed some of them in the wrong category

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: Holy Spider
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser
    Best Supporting Actress: Olivia de Leon
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

Selma Linda
    Topics:

Selma Linda
    Topics:

A lot of people in the industry praising Danielle Deadwyler.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Golden Globes: Tang Wei

Globes noms drama:

Tang Wei

Rooney Mara

Mia Goth

Genuine question: are these what you want to happen or are you actually predicting them? Because if it’s the latter, girl…

ejaru1810
    Topics:

Has anybody heard any news about I Wanna Dance with Somebody screenings?

Just checked GG and CC web sites and both Nomination deadlines are next week, December 7th (GG) and 9th (CC).

If Ackie misses both her chances will decrease hard.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 487 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.