Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 15)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 487 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Audrey Lee
Mladen
Selma Linda

• momo-memo
    Topics:

A lot of people in the industry praising Danielle Deadwyler.

it’s all that i need to know

Best Actor : Colin Farrell, Brendan Fraser, Austin Butler, Bill Nighy

Best Actress : Michelle Yeoh, Ana de Armas, Cate Blanchett , Andrea Riseborough, Danielle Deadwyler

moonshineandmollyxo
    Topics:

Well, its FYC page is still non-existent and I read somewhere that Sony is supposedly not planning any awards screenings? And going by the user here who had seen a rough cut, it sounds like it’s not even done, rofl.

It’s incredible how well the movie is tracking when you consider Sony’s incompetence with promoting it.

UmOkaaayyyyy
    Topics:

Critics Choice: Danielle Deadwyler
    Golden Globes: Tang Wei
    SAG: Cate Blanchett
    BAFTA: Michelle Yeoh
    Oscar: Cate Blanchett

Globes noms drama:
    Cate Blanchett
    Danielle Deadwyler
    Tang Wei
    Rooney Mara
    Mia Goth

Globes noms comedy / musical:
    Michelle Yeoh
    Naomie Ackie
    Margot Robbie
    Emma Thompson
    Keke Palmer

I may have placed some of them in the wrong category

I guarantee you Blanchett is not winning SAG. She is brilliant will get her nomination, but that role and that film are too divisive to win at a more populist group like SAG. We tend to vote with our hearts (well, I’ll speak for myself, but it seems that way for others) and all 4 other front runners at SAG (Williams, Davis, Deadwyler and Yeoh) have a much better chance at the win there if you ask me… I’d say Deadwyler is winning SAG with Yeoh as the spoiler…

jjjmoss
    Topics:

eh, if she prevents something like empire of light, great!

snowball
    Topics:

I’ve seen so many people saying Williams is just plain bad in that movie. But we all know she’s still getting in.

snowball
    Topics:

HFPA and SAG giving it to her wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

BAFTA is another thing. I just can’t imagine her winning there with all this ham. If she even gets nominated there. But it probably won’t matter in the end.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Topics:

m844
    Topics:

Hons, I agree that it’s likely Blanchett vs. Williams for the Oscar.

Deadwyler: really good that she won Gotham, but Julianne Moore is the only actress to win both Gotham and the Oscar for Still Alice in 2014. Not a good correlation between Gotham and Oscars. I really don’t see Till being a Best Picture nominee.

Yeoh: as people have pointed out, she’s severely hurt by the fact that Quan is the frontrunner for the Supporting Actor Oscar. It’s very rare for a film to win 2 acting Oscars. In a tight race, this could tip the Oscar to Blanchett or Williams.

Only times a film has won 2 acting Oscars since 2009:

2010 The Fighter: Supporting Actor Christian Bale, Supporting Actress Melissa Leo

2013 Dallas Buyers Club: Lead Actor Matthew McConaughey, Supporting Actor Jared Leto

2017 Three Billboards: Lead Actress Frances McDormand, Supporting Actor Sam Rockwell

Three Billboards also was the likely runner-up for Best Picture.

Williams: I think she could win a la Frances McDormand for Nomadland if The Fabelmans wins Best Picture. Alternatively, they could do a Director/Lead Actress split like La La Land for Damien Chazelle/Emma Stone even if it loses Best Picture.

Blanchett: 3rd acting Oscars have been given a few times since 2011: Meryl Streep, Daniel Day-Lewis, and Frances McDormand. The voters may think it’s too early for Blanchett’s third acting Oscar, and Williams has an overdue narrative. TAR seems like it’s the critical favorite this year with the NYFCC win, so if it makes the Best Picture lineup as I’m not 100% convinced it will be a Best Picture nominee, that greatly helps Blanchett since I think Todd Field will have a very hard time winning Picture/Director. He has a chance with Original Screenplay, but they may want to reward the film somewhere.

Rachel615
    Topics:

Because they are televised this year and the only WOC who ever even had a chance of getting nominated in actress was JHud.

And why was Jennifer Hudson the only WOC “who ever had a chance of getting nominated?” For example, why didn’t Tessa Thompson have a chance for Passing?

Mladen
    Topics:

Most are predicting Cate to win. She’s White. I don’t see how it’s any different than predicting Michelle Williams to win. I think Michelle is stronger with her film than Cate is with her film.

Because, despite both being white (which seems to be the reason for you to equalize the two), Blanchett is the driving force of her movie and her reviews not only surpass the reviews of her movie, but are almost universal in their assessment that Blanchett probably gave career-best performance.

Just because they are both white doesn’t mean they are interchangeable.

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

Audrey Lee
    Topics:

Margot Robbie is being acclaimed, she is being nominated.

Topics:

jjjmoss
    Topics:

Yeoh: as people have pointed out, she’s severely hurt by the fact that Quan is the frontrunner for the Supporting Actor Oscar. It’s very rare for a film to win 2 acting Oscars. In a tight race, this could tip the Oscar to Blanchett or Williams. Only times a film has won 2 acting Oscars since 2009: 2010 The Fighter: Supporting Actor Christian Bale, Supporting Actress Melissa Leo 2013 Dallas Buyers Club: Lead Actor Matthew McConaughey, Supporting Actor Jared Leto 2017 Three Billboards: Lead Actress Frances McDormand, Supporting Actor Sam Rockwell Three Billboards also was the likely runner-up for Best Picture. 

And BP winner Everything will join them.

Mladen
    Topics:

People, I have been on this thread for a while now, and I swear Zoe changed more opinions on the fruntrunner and who gets nominated than normal people change their underwear.

Michelle Williams also garnered career best raves and also drives the film for all of the family moments, the moments of discourse, discourage, hope, love etc. Michelle Williams has a strong narrative and is also playing a character, for whatever reason, many are resonating with. I think both Danielle or Michelle could snatch the globe over Cate in the end. Particularly Michelle if HFPA loves Fabelmans
    I brought up both of them being white, in regards to a previous conversation in reference to the globes feeling the pressure to award a woc.

Honestly, I am not sure the reviews I have read are career-best for Michelle. Many people actually prefer her other works, but that is beside the point. The difference between Blanchett and Williams is that “The Fabelmans” is Spielberg’s story, so those who love the movie will be most inclined to award Spielberg, not Williams. On the other hand, Blanchett is being propelled like TÁR’s ultimate selling point.

Yes, Blanchett will face Williams and Deadwyler at Globes, but no one is saying that she can’t lose there. Yes, most of us think Blanchett will win Globes, but nothing is set in stone. Deadwyler or Williams winning it isn’t out of the picture.

We’ll see the reactions to all the movies once nominations are out. Interestingly enough, a movie has not won both Best Picture – Drama, Best Director and Best Actress – Drama in this century.

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 487 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.