Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 15)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 487 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Audrey Lee
Mladen
ejaru1810

• TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Honestly, want Yeoh to win and she could but damn wish William got snubbed. Love Williams, but it was such a “gimme Oscar” performance. Really meh for me.

Audrey Lee
    Topics:

Naomi Ackie is playing Whitney Houston and that’s enough.

Audrey Lee
    Topics:

Wasn’t there one person on this forum who saw the movie and said Ackie looked amazing????

Audrey Lee
    Topics:

zoe put a 10 score to the movie while other are putting 4 or 5. Makes sense that someone who think the movie is a 10 will think margot is a lock. But probably people who put 4 or 5 to the film are not thinking the same about margot

Zoe said the actors loved Margot Robbie performance, so a Sag nomination is possible.

Bonehead
    Topics:

Just a hunch, Ana de Armas will be nominated.

Does she deserve a nomination? Absolutely.

The predicament for her isn’t her performance or even that the critics and the public didn’t like the film, but more that we are living in a political climate that primarily wishes to promote stories of female empowerment.

That’s a significant factor working against Ana de Armas in Blonde.

Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

The issue however isn’t her performance or that the critics and audiences didn’t like the film, but rather that we are living in a political climate that primarily wishes to promote stories of empowered women.

I haven’t seen Blonde so I’m gonna quote reviews I’ve seen. I think the problem is how they portray Marilyn as someone who has no autonomy, basically, an object. I don’t think the movie even pays some attention to her ability as an actress, or her career aspiration. She’s just reacting; moving from one misery to another. Contrast that to Jackie, Spencer, Tár, or documentary like Amy.

We are also highly likely going to see Blanchett being nominated for playing a lesbian conductor who uses her power to abuse those around her. So, I don’t think there is some sort of political climate that wishes to see sanctified portrayal of women (at least with Blonde being the point of interest). It’s the director’s vision that is scorned.

Also, I wouldn’t say general audiences like the film since it has a low audience rating. But we agree on one thing for sure, Ana’s performance isn’t the problem.

Bonehead
    Topics:

The problem is how they portray Marilyn as someone who has no autonomy, basically, an object. I don’t think the movie even pays some attention to her ability as an actress, or her career aspiration. She’s just reacting; moving from one misery to another. Contrast that to Jackie, Spencer, Tár, or documentary like Amy. We are also highly likely going to see Blanchett being nominated for playing a lesbian conductor who uses her power to abuse those around her. So, I don’t think there is some sort of political climate that wishes to see sanctified portrayal of women (at least with Blonde being the point of interest). It’s the director’s vision that is scorned. Also, I wouldn’t say general audiences like the film since it has a low audience rating. But we agree on one thing for sure, Ana’s performance isn’t the problem.

Thanks for the respectful response. I disagree with those critics.
    Marilyn Monroe is written as an extremely talented, highly intelligent and motivated actress. She doesn’t overcome the misery, the abuse, the oppression that befalls her but it’s not for a lack of trying.

But yeah, The Academy is unlikely to nominate the performance for a variety of reasons, none of which are actually Ana de Armas.

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I don’t think the movie even pays some attention to her ability as an actress, or her career aspiration. She’s just reacting; moving from one misery to another.

Just FYI this isn’t true. One of her first scenes is a movie audition where she perhaps gets “too” into character. And there’s a segment where she moves to New York to study stage acting in an attempt to be seen as a more serious actress.

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

Bonehead
    Topics:

How about the possibility that the Academy rejects the category fraud and nominates Thuso Mbedu here instead of / in addition to Viola Davis? Has anyone else considered this?

Maybe she could be the fifth spot?

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Aaron Kalloo
    Topics:

Atlanta Film Critics Circle today.

Previous winners

2017: Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
    2018: Olivia Colman, The Favourite
    2019: Renée Zellweger, Judy
    2020: Carey Mulligan, Frances McDormand (First Runner Up)
    2021: Alana Haim and Kristen Stewart (Tie)

snowball
    Topics:

Atlanta Film Critics Circle today. Previous winners 2017: Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water 2018: Olivia Colman, The Favourite 2019: Renée Zellweger, Judy 2020: Carey Mulligan, Frances McDormand (First Runner Up) 2021: Alana Haim and Kristen Stewart (Tie)

Most likely Deadwyler. It’s her hometown.

Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

She doesn’t overcome the misery, the abuse, the oppression that befalls her but it’s not for a lack of trying.

Just FYI this isn’t true. One of her first scenes is a movie audition where she perhaps gets “too” into character. And there’s a segment where she moves to New York to study stage acting in an attempt to be seen as a more serious actress.

I see. thanks for enlighting me about the film, guys

Barbra Please
    Topics:

Darling, even though I love the movie, The King Viola movie will likely not getting any acting noms. Just doesn’t feel like it.

Selma Linda
    Topics:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 487 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.