Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 519 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
FEFFO
The Way of Th..
Rachel615
  • Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

. A Cannes win goes far in the race overall though. That’s what I’ve learned in the last couple of years. It all but ensures that you are a viable contender.

I personally don’t think a Cannes win can save any Bleecker movie considering their track record.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I personally don’t think a Cannes win can save any Bleecker movie considering their track record.

I still don’t forgive Bleecker for paying her campaign dust.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Darling, Dowd’s and Plimpton’s performance are miles better than all of the actual supporting actress nominees combined. What a robbery, and in lead, of course they were better than Kidman and Chastain.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Tang Wei, Decision To Leave

James Hong & Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All At Once

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Let me add other victims of Blecker Street shithousery

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

We may get several Asian actors nominated this year

Let’s be real, we’ll get 1 at most…of course I’d love to be proven wrong

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

Here’s my opinion, you may agree or not but…
    1. Margot Robbie is for sure getting nominated, she’s a previous nominee and she’s basically at the highest point on her career (lead in a Chazelle’s movie, co lead on D.O.R’s, currently working with Greta Gerwig on what appears to be a commercial success). I think she’s the frontrunner and I would currently put my money on her winning.
    2. Cate Blanchett, two time winner, is coming back with what seems to be an Oscar friendly role in a movie by a previous nominee in screenplay. She’s a legend and of course they’re getting her a slot, even if the movie is average.
    3. Michelle Yeoh’s performance is being praised nonstop from the premiere of her movie, even the box office’s result is astonishing. She’s getting nominated and could also pave the way for more inclusion within this specific category.
    4. Naomi Ackie will benefit from the fact of playing a legend with a traumatic history, I mean last year basically everyone got in for a boring biopic, I don’t see why this shouldn’t be the case, hopefully it is even decent.
    5. Viola Davis always delivers, this time she’s playing the lead in a period drama addressing slaves trade and women’s resilience. Groundbreaking if you ask me, I’m sure it’s gonna be a hit.

Alternatives:
    6. Olivia Colman
    7. Carey Mulligan
    8. Ana de Armas

Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

Btw I watched Cha Cha Real Smooth last night. Dakota Johnson is definitely supporting but apart from maybe a nod in screenplay, no one is getting nominated. Real good film though and it could get some buzz within the Globes comedy categories. Also Dakota’s acting is getting better and better, so stay tuned for her next projects cause this woman can definitely act and will get her dues soon.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

She’s a legend and of course they’re getting her a slot, even if the movie is average.

Like with Nightmare Alley?

Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

Like with Nightmare Alley?

No one managed to get nominated from that, not even Bradley Cooper who usually gets in for basically saying hello. Very different scenario, also Cate had to take some time to redeem herself from that awful Bernadette thing, last year she was in two ensemble movies which couldn’t grant anyone a nomination (we are talking about the likes of Leo, JLaw, Rooney Mara, Bradley Cooper, all previous nominees and winners) but both ended up being best pic contenders. This time she’s lead and the whole movie revolves around her character, if she does the trick there’s no way they are gonna ignore her.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

1. Margot Robbie, Babylon (Enough said).
    2. Michelle Yeoh, EEAAO, (Leading the highest grossing indie film of the year, overdue legend, historical nomination, enough said)
    3. Naomi Ackie, I want Dance With Somebody (Biopic written by Anthony McCarten, enough said)
    4. Olivia Colman, Empire of Light (With Poor Things moving to 2023, Mendes’ Empire of Light will be Searchlight’s awards pony and likewise, Colman will be Searchlight’s Best Actress vehicle).
    5. Regina King, Shirley, (Likely to be Netflix’s Best Actress vehicle though Shirley is an uncomfirmed 2022 release. I don’t buy Armas being a factor because her film will be even more polarizing than Spencer).

6. Cate Blanchett, TAR (I think she is 5th if Shirley gets pushed to 2023. Todd Fields’ actresses tend to do very well at Oscar nominations and at the TRIFECTA).
    7. Carey Mulligan/Zoe Kazan, She Said (It’s possible both ladies can coattail Best Actress nominations if She Said is a Best Picture player).
    8. Viola Davis, The Woman King, (Always in contention for awards when the film does well and The Woman’s King seems to be quite inspired roles for WOC. Rooting for her and Yeoh).
    9. Florence Pugh, Don’t Worry Darling (If Don’t Worry Darling gets stellar audience reception and a strong box office, I think she has a shot. If either condition fails, she’s unlikely).
    10. Laura Dern, The Son (I think Jackman and the titular The Son will take up the majority of the buzz, but it is Laura Dern after all).

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Btw I watched Cha Cha Real Smooth last night. Dakota Johnson is definitely supporting but apart from maybe a nod in screenplay, no one is getting nominated. Real good film though and it could get some buzz within the Globes comedy categories. Also Dakota’s acting is getting better and better, so stay tuned for her next projects cause this woman can definitely act and will get her dues soon.

I agree with the supporting placement. About the possibility of Dakota or Cooper Raiff getting nominated, I don’t know if it will happen but it’s Apple TV+ we’re talking about, they’re in for a marathon rather than a sprint… Only 2 years in the game and they managed to achieve 3 wins for CODA including Best Picture (a small Sundance indie released in August), 3 more nominations for The Tragedy of Macbeth, 20 Emmy nominations for Ted Lasso, including a win for Outstanding Comedy Series (and 7 acting nominations). Clearly they have a strong campaigning game, and with KOTFM possibly being pushed back to 2023, Cha Cha might end up as their best shot this year. Other than Michelle Williams, we have no idea what’s gonna happen in Supporting Actress honestly.

Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

Other than Michelle Williams, we have no idea what’s gonna happen in Supporting Actress honestly.

Michelle Williams
    Laura Dern
    Vanessa Kirby
    Jessie Buckley
    Patricia Clarkson
    Jean Smart
    Julianne Nicholson

There are actually plenty, I just doubt Dakota has a shot at getting in, but kudos to Apple TV for trying lol

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think on balance Cha Cha is a little weaker than CODA (though I actually preferred it). I think it could get in somewhere (screenplay? supporting) If you look at critics and audience scores it’s kind of lower everywhere except Letterboxd, which would suggest Gen Z like it best, I think CODA was more broad appeal.

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

Right now, the ones who really look to be in play:

* Emma Thompson, GOOD LUCK TO YOU, LEO GRANDE (Is it eligible for the Oscars? Rave reviews and she’s a legendary actress)
    * Léa Seydoux, UN BEAU MATIN / ONE FINE MORNING (Cannes critical acclaim and Sony acquired this film)
    * Michelle Yeoh, EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (I believe the AMPAS will go for this movie in the screenplay category only, but Yeoh is a strong player for sure)
    Note: Dakota Johnson is really a supporting player in CHA CHA REAL SMOOTH

Doubts:
    1 – Is Margot Robbie a lead in BABYLON?
    2 – Who’s the female lead in Wes Anderson’s ASTEROID CITY? Scarlett Johansson? Or Margot Robbie? Some might suggest Tilda Swinton, but she’s a supporting player for Anderson most times. Plus, it is said to be a love story, so I am expecting something more in the vein of THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS with a strong couple of leads (despite the huge cast).
    3 – Is Laura Dern a lead or supporting for THE SON?

My lineup right now:
    1 – Emma Thompson, GOOD LUCK TO YOU, LEO GRANDE
    2 – Cate Blanchett, TÁR
    3 – Olivia Colman, EMPIRE OF LIGHT
    4 – Naomi Ackie, I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY
    5 – Léa Seydoux, UN BEAU MATIN

6 – Ana de Armas, BLONDE
    7 – Regina King, SHIRLEY
    8 – Michelle Yeoh, EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
    9 – Florence Pugh, DON’T WORRY DARLING
    10 – Danielle Deadwyler, TILL

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

Is Joanna Scanlan eligible for Best Actress for her BAFTA-winning role in AFTER LOVE?

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.