Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 519 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
FEFFO
The Way of Th..
Rachel615
  • Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

It’s ok to feel confident and call some contenders locks (I’ve done it almost for every awards show) but we also need to remember that award shows like to mess things up from time to time. Especially, with the big names.

Last year, plenty of us were “Cooper is a lock, he’s gonna get double nominations”, “Blanchett is a lock, this is a Del Toro film”, and how to forget “Gaga is a lock, she hit every precursor” and the Industry said a huge no for Cooper and Blanchett while the Academy said no to Gaga.

No one is a lock, and having a gazillion of nods doesn’t make you a sure nominee.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Frances was widely predicted this year during summer of last year to get in Best Actress for Macbeth because Frances is a household name and Coen had consistently got his actors in. Cate Blanchett faces similar conditions to Frances except Todd Fields sample size of 2 actresses is FAR too small of a barometer to be a prognosticator. Not to mention it’s been 16 years since his last film. I’m predicting Blanchett, but don’t understand the confidence at all. Her position is also dependent on her competition as well.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Go Yeoh!
    Topics:

Frances was widely predicted this year during summer of last year to get in Best Actress for Macbeth because Frances is a household name and Coen had consistently got his actors in. Cate Blanchett faces similar conditions to Frances except Todd Fields sample size of 2 actresses is FAR too small of a barometer to be a prognosticator. Not to mention it’s been 16 years since his last film. I’m predicting Blanchett, but don’t understand the confidence at all. Her position is also dependent on her competition as well.

I don’t think that is a fair comparison.

Macbeth was Washington’s film! Frances played a titular character but not as substantial as Washington.

Same for Cate in  Nightmare Alley. She wasn’t the lead and the reception to production design was the focus, which was campaigned heavily in the film.

Tár is Cate’s film out and out. She will the focus. Even if the film gets panned, the chances of her flattering are very less. Ofcourse her chances will depend eventually on how ‘Focus Features’ campaigns it but it isn’t same as Frances in McBeth

Profile picture
    Go Yeoh!
    Topics:

I love Margot and the press around Barbie has made me believe, she really has this one in the bag but I am really tired of white women winning this category year after year. And the thing is even if Babylon losses all the steam and her performance is at the best average – she will still take it all! Which is alright because she is talented but the same reception opportunity won’t be given to a POC actress. Also, at 31 with 2 nominations she is not overdue. We so loosely slate these terms! I won’t be surprised if you guys start Saoirse overdue next award campaign.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Margot winning this makes the most sense, just like Lawrence and Stone, she’s a previous nominee, popular and working with the right people.

She’s the typical young actress the Academy loves to reward. And with 2 nods already, likely to be 3 with Babylon, she’s kind of building a narrative.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I love Margot and the press around Barbie has made me believe, she really has this one in the bag but I am really tired of white women winning this category year after year. And the thing is even if Babylon losses all the steam and her performance is at the best average – she will still take it all! Which is alright because she is talented but the same reception opportunity won’t be given to a POC actress. Also, at 31 with 2 nominations she is not overdue. We so loosely slate these terms! I won’t be surprised if you guys start Saoirse overdue next award campaign.

As of now, I’m predicting Margot but (and these may be unpopular opinions) (1) I’m not sure all of these Barbie set photos are/will help her Oscar campaign for Babylon, and (2) if either Robbie or Ronan are overdue (and I don’t think either one are, yet), I feel that as of now, Saoirse is more overdue than Margot.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

With Jessica Chastain winning with such a lackluster movie last year, I hope we get an inspiring winner like Yeoh in EEAAO this year and not a pretty young white actress in an Oscar bait.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I don’t think that is a fair comparison. Macbeth was Washington’s film! Frances played a titular character but not as substantial as Washington. Same for Cate in Nightmare Alley. She wasn’t the lead and the reception to production design was the focus, which was campaigned heavily in the film. Tár is Cate’s film out and out. She will the focus. Even if the film gets panned, the chances of her flattering are very less. Ofcourse her chances will depend eventually on how ‘Focus Features’ campaigns it but it isn’t same as Frances in McBeth

I mean people were predicting Frances to win her third Oscar prior to her winning for Nomadland. Her Macbeth role had a lot of buzz that was unfizzled after the film turned out to be strictly a Washington vehicle.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

With Jessica Chastain winning with such a lackluster movie last year, I hope we get an inspiring winner like Yeoh in EEAAO this year and not a pretty young white actress in an Oscar bait.

Darling, I just rewatched Everything Everywhere All At Once at cinema again, Yeoh’s performance once again moves me, makes me cry, and makes me laugh. All around a great performance. if Yeoh doesn’t win this (or getting snubbed), that shows that the shitshow are just a bunch of racist, despicable morons. I don’t want to see another white it-girl winning for a baity and underwhelming performance. I say it again, asian performers are horribly overdue to triumph (let alone nominated) in this category.

Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

As great as it would be to see Yeoh win, and I do think she stands a very good chance of being nominated, I just do not see the academy giving one of the most “prestigious” awards of the night to a movie that features but plugs, dildo fights, and hot dog fingers that ejaculate ketchup and mustard. They’re just too safe for that. Screenplay is where the weird movies win. Unfortunately they’ll probably consider her nom (if she gets one, which i do think is likely) the reward and will give the win to something safer.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I pray for Michelle Yeoh to win Best Actress next year and for Margot Robbie to win for Barbie in 2024. We are here for the inspired wins.

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

As great as it would be to see Yeoh win, and I do think she stands a very good chance of being nominated, I just do not see the academy giving one of the most “prestigious” awards of the night to a movie that features but plugs, dildo fights, and hot dog fingers that ejaculate ketchup and mustard. They’re just too safe for that. Screenplay is where the weird movies win. Unfortunately they’ll probably consider her nom (if she gets one, which i do think is likely) the reward and will give the win to something safer.

They awarded 2 biopic performances and a redo of an already awarded role last year. It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I really hope they’d be willing to take a chance in at least one category whether it’s Yeoh in Actress or Quan in Supporting.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Agreed. As of now, I consider Yeoh a viable alternative for the win, but Margot has a lot going for her. The press around Barbie is ginormous, every new set pic gets thousands of likes and retweets. I’ll link a tweet posted yesterday that got almost 600k likes within 20 hours (We’re going to see everybody dressed up as Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling in Barbie next Halloween). I’m sure industry people will be aware of the career defining moment she’s having and might want to reward the “movie star”. Babylon also seems to go far beyond the usual lackluster Oscar bait archetype. The “original” leaked script was already pretty fucking awesome, led by a great director, with excellent supporting players, highly competent technical crew (Two-times Oscar winner editor, Two-times Oscar winner film composer, Oscar winning cinematographer, Three-times Oscar nominated producer), with a great role that will give Margot plenty of opportunities to show off her acting abilities. We won’t know for sure until all the contenders have their movies seen, but Yeoh and Robbie both seem poised to be leading the race.

Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

Agreed. As of now, I consider Yeoh a viable alternative for the win, but Margot has a lot going for her. The press around Barbie is ginormous, every new set pic gets thousands of likes and retweets. I’ll link a tweet posted yesterday that got almost 600k likes within 20 hours (We’re going to see everybody dressed up as Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling in Barbie next Halloween). I’m sure industry people will be aware of the career defining moment she’s having and might want to reward the “movie star”. Babylon also seems to go far beyond the usual lackluster Oscar bait archetype. The “original” leaked script was already pretty fucking awesome, led by a great director, with excellent supporting players, highly competent technical crew (Two-times Oscar winner editor, Two-times Oscar winner film composer, Oscar winning cinematographer, Three-times Oscar nominated producer), with a great role that will give Margot plenty of opportunities to show off her acting abilities. We won’t know for sure until all the contenders have their movies seen, but Yeoh and Robbie both seem poised to be leading the race.

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

She’s definitely in her era, lead in a Chazelle’s movie, co lead in DOR’s, ensemble in Wes Anderson’s Asteroid City, now working with Greta Gerwig on a major mainstream pic. I don’t necessarily think this will translate into an Oscar, but the world’s eyes will definitely be on her this/next year.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I really really hope this isn’t the same Academy that snubbed ESOTSM (a film that should have won Picture, Director, Actress, Screenplay and Editing) for Editing of all things and awarded Crash next year.

With all due respect to Top Gun: Maverick, we need EEAAO to win Editing. And Yeoh to SWEEP actress.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.