Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 519 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
FEFFO
The Way of Th..
Rachel615
  • Profile picture
    GWalters
    Topics:

Some of y’all are going to get mad but why do you consider Margot Robbie to be a “movie star”? She has never had a solo hit movie and her franchise outings (Legend of tarzan, Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey, The Suicide Squad 2) have all flopped. Her only successes are with bigger male stars (Wolf of Wall street, OUATIH). Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Stone both have bigger box office clout and won for movies that were huge at the BO. Maybe Babylon and Barbie will level Margot up but at this point why is she considered a movie star by goldderby stans?

To be fair, one could say the same about Jennifer Lawrence. Other than The Hunger Games franchise which most people saw for the popular story not for Lawrence, all of her films that weren’t directed by David O Russell have flopped at the box office and with critics. Serena, Dark Phoenix, Passengers, Mother, Red Sparrow??

Profile picture
    Davidpres
    Topics:

To be fair, one could say the same about Jennifer Lawrence. Other than The Hunger Games franchise which most people saw for the popular story not for Lawrence, all of her films that weren’t directed by David O Russell have flopped at the box office and with critics. Serena, Dark Phoenix, Passengers, Mother, Red Sparrow??

Passengers made over 300 million. Margot Robbie wishes she could have a flop like that.

[This is just a joke, relax.]

Profile picture
    DanC
    Topics:

If we define “movie star” as someone who can put butts in seats based on name alone, there would be only around 5-6 modern movie stars who got their big breaks over the last 10 years. (and I’m being generous here)

The fact is that very few actors are box office draws nowadays partially due audiences predominantly flocking to IP-driven blockbusters. Straightforward dramas, rom-coms, etc, don’t make as much as they used to. Silver Linings Playbook made $132 million domestically in 2012. Now, it probably would have been sent straight to streaming or something. The MCU soaks in billions per year but, using the aforementioned definition of movie star, almost none of their leads would be considered movie stars except maybe RDJ. (once again, generous)

By this definition, Robbie is not a movie star but so is every other actor in the industry not named Kevin Hart or The Rock.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

If we define “movie star” as someone who can put butts in seats based on name alone, there would be only around 5-6 modern movie stars who got their big breaks over the last 10 years. (and I’m being generous here)

The fact is that very few actors are box office draws nowadays partially due audiences predominantly flocking to IP-driven blockbusters. Straightforward dramas, rom-coms, etc, don’t make as much as they used to. Silver Linings Playbook made $132 million domestically in 2012. Now, it probably would have been sent straight to streaming or something. The MCU soaks in billions per year but, using the aforementioned definition of movie star, almost none of their leads would be considered movie stars except maybe RDJ. (once again, generous)

By this definition, Robbie is not a movie star but so is every other actor in the industry not named Kevin Hart or The Rock.

In general, I agree with you but I note that genre is a major factor is determining box office draws. I strongly doubt that “The Tragedy of Macbeth” would have been a blockbuster even if it had starred The Rock or Kevin Hart (who tend to “stay in their lane”) instead of Denzel. And I think that Tom Cruise is still a huge draw in action films and Sandra Bullock, and probably Julia Roberts, is still a huge BO office draw in a rom-com. My thinking is that Cruise, Bullock, Roberts and some others including Ryan Reynolds, RDJ and Liam Neeson, are still “movie stars” in the sense that they can virtually guarantee very large box office numbers (not necessarily MCU type numbers) in certain types of genre films that aren’t already part of established IP matters.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

In general, I agree with you but I note that genre is a major factor is determining box office draws. I strongly doubt that “The Tragedy of Macbeth” would have been a blockbuster even if it had starred The Rock or Kevin Hart (who tend to “stay in their lane”) instead of Denzel. And I think that Tom Cruise is still a huge draw in action films and Sandra Bullock, and probably Julia Roberts, is still a huge BO office draw in a rom-com. My thinking is that Cruise, Bullock, Roberts and some others including Ryan Reynolds, RDJ and Liam Neeson, are still “movie stars” in the sense that they can virtually guarantee very large box office numbers (not necessarily MCU type numbers) in certain types of genre films that aren’t already part of established IP matters.

For context, though, those performers are all at least a decade older than Robbie, if not two.

There are very, very few bankable names under 35 these days in terms of the way we would have considered it previously.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Darling…

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Tang Wei, Decision To Leave

James Hong & Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All At Once

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

For context, though, those performers are all at least a decade older than Robbie, if not two.

There are very, very few bankable names under 35 these days in terms of the way we would have considered it previously.

I agree, and while she’s very talented, and usually great at picking strong projects, and excellent directors have consistently wanted to work with her, I’m not convinced (yet) that Robbie, on her own, is a major box office draw in the way that the term movie star has previously been used. For example, her 2019 film, Dreamland, was a box office dud.

Profile picture
    film123
    Topics:

Mary Queen of Scots grosses less than The Favourite. Margot Robbie is not a box office draw and it’s frankly cringe how people keep shoving Margot winning down our throat. Her movie hasn’t even premiered yet.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I may very well be remembering incorrectly but I think you had said you knew of people who had seen an “unedited” version of She Said. I’m still not sure what that even means and while I’ll readily concede the film might turn out to be terrible, I’d prefer to wait for the opinions of people who have seen the final, or a substantially final version of the movie before drawing any conclusions.

I’m always cautious about giving too much weight to Jordan Ruimy’s blog posts about feedback he’s received from viewers of test screenings but I’m still excited and pleased to read his report from at least one source who attended a test screening and has actually seen the final or substantially final version of “She Said.” Ruimy reports that the reaction to the movie is “very positive.” I hope this bodes well for possible nominations in a number of categories, including Best Actress. As of now, I’m cautiously optimistic.

See https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/7/8k80f4a7tt7phndx6k0beh0j29i1mv

Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

Y’all should just chill, nobody is sure she’s winning, but I think you can agree she has (at the moment) the biggest narrative: previous nominee, two movies coming out this year, a big one in the making, it-girl status etc..
    Why are you so pissed she’s the frontrunner? Lol, is it because she’s blonde and pretty?

Profile picture
    Whirlwind
    Topics:

Y’all should just chill, nobody is sure she’s winning, but I think you can agree she has (at the moment) the biggest narrative: previous nominee, two movies coming out this year, a big one in the making, it-girl status etc.. Why are you so pissed she’s the frontrunner? Lol, is it because she’s blonde and pretty?

While I personally have Robbie as the current frontrunner, I don’t think that she has the biggest narrative by any means. If anyone it would be Yeoh. Overdue legend who’s seen as having been robbed in the past, she would be the first person of an entire race to win BA, and there will likely be a lot of “now or never” messaging surrounding her campaign.

Profile picture
    The Way of The Wind
    Topics:

The buzz around Tar is growing:

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/7/6lva5u5syae4k44e0lihbhb43i13c6

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: The Way of The Wind
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: TAR
    Best Actor: The Whale
    Best Supporting Actress: The Whale
    Best Supporting Actor: Poor Things

Profile picture
    LAINELAVIGNE
    Topics:

Michelle Yeoh won Best Actress at the HCA Midseason Awards. She’s coming 😍

Profile picture
    Filipe Cardoso
    Topics:

Best Actress:
    Haley Lu Richardson (‘Montana Story’)
    Penélope Cruz, “Official Competition”
    Michelle Yeoh, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
    Dakota Johnson (Cha Cha Real Smooth)
    Regina King (Shirley)

Profile picture
    The Way of The Wind
    Topics:

July Summer Dreams of Predix:

Cate Blanchett
    Emily Watson
    Margot Robbie
    Michelle Yeoh
    Florence Pugh

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: The Way of The Wind
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: TAR
    Best Actor: The Whale
    Best Supporting Actress: The Whale
    Best Supporting Actor: Poor Things

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.