Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 519 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Lydia 3rd Osc..
Rachel615
LAINELAVIGNE
  • Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

TAR looks like a fucking banger. Do not underestimate Blanchett here.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Robbie
    Ackie
    Yeoh
    Blanchett
    Colman
    Deadwyler

This is your top 6. Who will be the top 5 though?

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Am I the only person who thinks Margot Robbie could be snubbed? If Babylon ends up being a more respected than loved endeavour I can see her getting edged out by a strong field and the fact that other contenders might inspire more no.1 votes on the ranked ballot than she does with her being a regular awards fixture (à la Adams in Arrival).

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

I feel more confident in Deadwyler than in Ackie

Well that’s because you’ve actually seen the trailer for Till.

But both couldn’t absolutely get in. No?

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

I really want to see the following people get in:

Deadwyler
    Ackie
    Davis
    Yeoh

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Danielle Deadwyler and Cate Blanchett are my frontrunners as of now. Those last three spots are the ones that get me as of now but this is where I am at:
    Locks In my mind:
    1)Blanchett
    2)Deadwyler
    Probably:
    3)King
    4)Colman
    5)Robbie
    Have a Shot:
    6)Ackie
    7)Mulligan
    8)McDormand
    9)Yeoh
    10)Davis

The giant question mark for me:
    Zar Amir Ebrahimi in Holy Spider

Profile picture
    Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

TAR looks like a fucking banger. Do not underestimate Blanchett here.

The best teaser trailer of the year!

So so intrigued!

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: The Way of The Wind
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: TAR
    Best Actor: The Whale
    Best Supporting Actress: The Whale
    Best Supporting Actor: Poor Things

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Am I the only person who thinks Margot Robbie could be snubbed? If Babylon ends up being a more respected than loved endeavour I can see her getting edged out by a strong field and the fact that other contenders might inspire more no.1 votes on the ranked ballot than she does with her being a regular awards fixture (à la Adams in Arrival).

No. Not at all. I just didn’t want to say it haha.  I’ve always felt like her movie has been overestimated (what with the potentially divisive nature of the script, the movie length, etc.), but with all these contenders popping up that have baity storylines and roles and could potentially be passion picks, is Robbie even locked? You could easily make a case for a top 5 with her at this stage. If the reception of the movie is middling, I could see her trajectory being the same as the Nightmare Alley actors the year prior (highly predicted with frontrunner status majority of the season, but gets snubbed in the end in favor of contenders with stronger films and better narratives). And with Babylon looking like it’s not aiming for the fall festivals as much, I’m getting more doubtful.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I really want to see the following people get in:

Deadwyler
    Ackie
    Davis
    Yeoh

Such a strong year for WOC especially when Tessa was robbed of a nomination last season.1

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

The giant question mark for me: Zar Amir Ebrahimi in Holy Spider

Babe, if the movie is released this year in UK by MUBI (no confirmation yet) Ebrahimi is a lock for a nomination from the BAFTA jury at least. But like most provocative and timely feminist movies (recently Elle) the movie will no doubt be dumped to a spring release in 2023 and forgotten about (I pray I’m wrong)…

FYC:

Zahra Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

I’m not in snub territory yet but I definitely don’t think she’s automatically top 2-3 anymore.

Chazelle’s stock in this field is probably being overestimated. Plus this category is looking ridiculously strong. Any argument Robbie might have probably has a contender with a better one. We’ve got a strong box office contender with a career argument (Yeoh), a biopic contender with a screenplay that will be giftwrapped for a nom (Ackie), another biopic contender that checks every baity box and can easily outperform if her film is weak (Deadwyler), and, oh yeah, Cate Blanchett and Olivia Colman in what look to be banner projects with established auteurs – super casual.

Margot might have to wait another year.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

She’s Cate Blanchett and Focus is amazing at Oscar campaigns but am I the only person who just thought to myself, “that trailer does nothing for me?”

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

I also think Robbie might not make the final cut this year. ASTEROID CITY is an ensemble piece in which she’s a clear supporting player according to rumours (and her place in Focus Feature’s cast listing of the movie). AMSTERDAM is not going to be embraced by the industry I say, considering David O. Russell’s past with on-set abuse/aggression and sexual misconduct. BABYLON seems the epic movie with a larger-than-life cast you don’t know who will be the standout, but my bet goes to Diego Calva and Brad Pitt.

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    Jake422
    Topics:

I’m only predicting Robbie, because like Blanchett, they both seem a sure thing on paper. Robbie could happen for Amsterdam or Babylon, but I’m with others that say she could get snubbed.  She could be the Adam Driver this year for the females. Have 3 films come out and nothing for all 3.
    As others have stated, it’s a strong and great year for WOC. This years actress race is already more exciting than last years. We haven’t even seen what Regina and Viola are about to serve us y’all. I have Danielle, Naomi, Michelle all in and would love to keep going with WOC, but for now I have  Cate and Margot rounding out my 5. Olivia Queen Colman my 6th pick if we had one.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:
    1. Robbie
    2. Colman
    3. Blanchett
    4. Yeoh
    5. Ackie

Lots of competition but I like this 5 in no particular order. Ackie gets in on the McCarten track record. Blanchett looks strong in the TAR trailer even if we can’t glean too much from it, think critics could go for her, Venice jury too, and she’s Blanchett – could definitely be win competitive if the film isn’t too out there. Colman just feels safe. Robbie less safe, but still safe. Yeoh feels safe too, I don’t personally 100% understand the overwhelming love for her performance honestly, but I assume enough critics groups will go to bat for her, and she has passion and a strong narrative.

I was toying with Deadwyler but the Till trailer didn’t convince me it would be a significant player. The Woman King looks interesting, but not great. Holding out hope for De Armas in Blonde but it’s a film, alongside ones like Shirley, She Said and Women Talking, where I’m waiting for reactions before considering how to view their contenders here.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.