Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 25)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 25)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 500 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
babypook
Actormogul
Milk Money

• wattsgold
    Topics:

How convenient…

What the fuck is this supposed to be? Context

jez89
    Topics:

no, they were told not to give #1 votes to viola and danielle because they were apparently locked. literally reverse discrimination…

Okay, you get carried away with that and cry racism until the Oscar ceremony. Voters can think for themselves, I doubt many even saw Fisher’s comments, let alone felt compelled to do what she said.

sister jude
    Topics:

Okay, you get carried away with that and cry racism until the Oscar ceremony. Voters can think for themselves, I doubt many even saw Fisher’s comments, let alone felt compelled to do what she said.

andrea got nominated out of a shameless campaign and massive payola, so obviously voters didn’t think for themselves but whatever reality fits you.

juniperberry
    Topics:

Is there any empirical basis for your doubt?

syrus80
    Topics:

Sarah Paulson campaigned for Andrea too. Where was Sarah’s campaign for Danielle or Regina Hall? Or KeKe Palmer?

Bee
    Topics:

Check in after these noms…..

As soured and poisonously annoyed I am of Danielle and Viola’s omissions, I can’t say I’m too surprised. I’ve been here for a long time, well over a decade at this point, and egregious snubs of POC actors (particularly black women) have come and gone. From 2010 to now, the black Best Actress nominees were;

Viola (The Help in 2011 and Ma Rainey in 2020)
    Quvenzhane Wallis (2012)
    Ruth Negga (2016. This gap???)
    Cynthia Erivo (2019)
    Andra Day (2020)

All but Viola missed precursors and were susceptible to snubs and even Viola just got snubbed TODAY ijbol. I predicted for a while that she would unfortunately miss because of a lack of proper passion here and would have to rely on her revered status. But, for Danielle to miss for such a baity role/performance in a watchable, greatly reviewed film that the Academy would normally embrace has shattered all hope for another black winner here. In fact, I would say that ANY black actor (especially women) are in danger of snubs unless they are THE frontrunner.

If that’s how the game is gonna be played from now on, I’d like to see black Hollywood come out the woodworks and do the EXACT “grassroots campaigning” for any lowkey black actor in an indie or even just in general. All fair game, right? And if Andrea’s nom taught me anything, it’s that the part of the acting branch IS able to go out of their way to embrace an indie nom like this with no precursor support. Which makes them EVEN WORSE for ignoring Lupita, Regina Hall,  Alfre Woodard, Gugu Mbatha Raw, Nicole Beharie and so on.

I’m also partially blaming pundits as I always do. When Till came out in NYFF, there was a CONCERNING amount of “Deadwyler is amazing but will Oscar voters even watch Till?” and that sentiment KEPT going. However, when it comes to Andrea, there was NONE of that. Instead, it was possible embraces and even “Is the Best Actress race about to take a turn?? Andrea Riseborough COULD actually be nominated” despite the absurdity of it all. THAT is what’s fucking me up other than Frances Fisher’s venomous spirit. As I say, pundits treat black contenders as barely hanging on by threads or just irrelevant and then write faux thinkpieces when they get snubbed. Tiring and pathetic, just like this campaign.

espnfan
    Topics:

Why are so many of you reading malicious intent into this? I don’t see how Andrea’s last minute thirsty social media campaign is any less “honorable” than spending every waking moment from Venice-onward poledancing for it with endless appearances, photoshoots, interviews, profiles, ect ect ect. If anything, it’s just exposing the truth we all know is there, that the awards game has always been more about who you know and how you market yourself than the performance.

She didn’t “steal” Viola or Danielle’s spot any more than the other 4 did.

^Thank you, this exactly. Many members here are acting as if Riseborough did something wrong, or as if she singlehandedly masterminded a campaign meant to undermine Davis and Deadwyler. I am not going to hate on her for wanting to be nominated or mounting a small campaign on her own behalf.

And I think many of you are giving way too much credit to Frances Fisher. Or I really doubt some has been actress with minimal followers on social networks somehow convinced or swayed 100’s of voters to not vote for either Davis or Deadwyler. She may have influenced a dozen or two individuals, but I doubt much more than that.

Unfortunately, there was simply not much passion for either of their films. I love Viola Davis, but was there really any rush or need to give her a fifth career nomination? I am guessing she will have plenty of more oportunities to get nominated (and I would not doubt it if voters may have thought the same thing).

Deadwyler’s miss reminds me a lot of when Ava Du Vernay missed out for directing Selma a couple of years ago. Both of them simply did not have the connections within their respective branches to be nominated. Them not being nominated is not indicitive of the quality of their work, but more the political aspect of awards season. That does not make it any less of a shame for either of them, but is the reality of how the Oscars work.

jamon__serrano
    Topics:

POC is such a dated term since it invalidates people like De Armas. She’s a latina, white, but still latina.

Racial studies in the US are so flawed.

jamon__serrano
    Topics:

It’s so funny seeing LAFCA members crying and puking over the Danielle snub when the last time their organization rewarded a black woman in Best Actress was… NEVER.

Pathetic group as usual.

KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

I’m not mad at Andrea or any of the other nominees. I’m just disappointed that a black actress would never get that sort of last minute push. I’m just mad that a woman of color in general can’t seem to win this category. It feels like an unspoken rule that this is a category for white women and white women only. I just give up.

I remember when people said that Viola Davis should have campaigned in lead and that she would have beaten Emma Stone and I can’t believe that there is anyone who believes that Viola Davis would have beaten Emma Stone after today’s results. You can’t win lead actress unless you’re lily white. Not mixed but lily white. Halle Berry was a fluke.

mafro987
    Topics:

As soured and poisonously annoyed I am of Danielle and Viola’s omissions, I can’t say I’m too surprised. I’ve been here for a long time, well over a decade at this point, and egregious snubs of POC actors (particularly black women) have come and gone. From 2010 to now, the black Best Actress nominees were;

Quvenzhane Wallis (2012)
    Cynthia Erivo (2019)
    Andra Day (2020)

All but Viola missed precursors and were susceptible to snubs and even Viola just got snubbed TODAY ijbol. I predicted for a while that she would unfortunately miss because of a lack of proper passion here and would have to rely on her revered status. But, for Danielle to miss for such a baity role/performance in a watchable, greatly reviewed film that the Academy would normally embrace has shattered all hope for another black winner here. In fact, I would say that ANY black actor (especially women) are in danger of snubs unless they are THE frontrunner.

If that’s how the game is gonna be played from now on, I’d like to see black Hollywood come out the woodworks and do the EXACT “grassroots campaigning” for any lowkey black actor in an indie or even just in general. All fair game, right? And if Andrea’s nom taught me anything, it’s that the part of the acting branch IS able to go out of their way to embrace an indie nom like this with no precursor support. Which makes them EVEN WORSE for ignoring Lupita, Regina Hall, Alfre Woodard, Gugu Mbatha Raw, Nicole Beharie and so on.

I’m also partially blaming pundits as I always do. When Till came out in NYFF, there was a CONCERNING amount of “Deadwyler is amazing but will Oscar voters even watch Till?” and that sentiment KEPT going. However, when it comes to Andrea, there was NONE of that. Instead, it was possible embraces and even “Is the Best Actress race about to take a turn?? Andrea Riseborough COULD actually be nominated” despite the absurdity of it all. THAT is what’s fucking me up other than Frances Fisher’s venomous spirit. As I say, pundits treat black contenders as barely hanging on by threads or just irrelevant and then write faux thinkpieces when they get snubbed. Tiring and pathetic, just like this campaign.

All of this. One of the best posts of the day. I’m also really concerned about the message Danielle’s snub sends. If THAT performance isn’t even nominated (let alone in contention to win), what hope is there for an unambiguously black woman to win in lead realistically? There has to be significant progress for that to happen. The industry’s immediate embracing of the “reformed” HFPA doesn’t bode well at all.

FYC: Danielle Deadwyler, Best Actress in a Leading Role

Alpha Gong Gong
    Topics:

Darlings, now that I’m not nominated, I will have all the energy to get my daughter the Oscar win.

babypook
    Topics:

Quvenzhane Wallis (2012)
    Cynthia Erivo (2019)
    Andra Day (2020)

If that’s how the game is gonna be played from now on, I’d like to see black Hollywood come out the woodworks and do the EXACT “grassroots campaigning” for any lowkey black actor in an indie or even just in general. All fair game, right? And if Andrea’s nom taught me anything, it’s that the part of the acting branch IS able to go out of their way to embrace an indie nom like this with no precursor support. Which makes them EVEN WORSE for ignoring Lupita, Regina Hall, Alfre Woodard, Gugu Mbatha Raw, Nicole Beharie and so on.

Well said Bee.

The Sunne in Splendour.
    I prefer my roses white

jamon__serrano
    Topics:

Yes, after today’s events, I don’t think a POC is winning Best Actress ever again. They have to be 492972349837587325853x stronger than their white counterparts to win or get a nom. And even when they are better (aka Michelle Yeoh) the Academy probably feels the need to give a previous winner ANOTHER Oscar. Laughable.

babypook
    Topics:

Yes, after today’s events, I don’t think a POC is winning Best Actress ever again. They have to be 492972349837587325853x stronger than their white counterparts to win or get a nom. And even when they are better (aka Michelle Yeoh) the Academy probably feels the need to give a previous winner ANOTHER Oscar. Laughable.

I’ve changed my mind re Yeoh. I now believe she can win. Not just hoping for a miracle.

The Sunne in Splendour.
    I prefer my roses white

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 25)’ is closed to new replies.