Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 25)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 25)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 500 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
babypook
Actormogul
Milk Money

• P(oweR) Valley
    Topics:

All the white people are mad at us for being mad. Honey, y’all got what y’all wanted. Another almost entirely all white lineup in Actress. Go out and celebrate and leave the ones who are pissed alone. I’ll vent about this for awhile. Spoiler Alert.

They’re mad because we’re calling a spade a spade. It’s most likely from some of the folks complaining about Angela’s incoming Oscar being a “woke award” or a “Lifetime Achievement Award.”

Uri Urusha
    Topics:

Angela is a terrific actress. And been for so long.she should win for just the way she uttered those two lines in the trailer.

Sean C
    Topics:

Sounds pretty shameless and desperate to me. Sounds like a good bit of her “friends” didn’t watch the movie or her performance and only hashtagged out of peer pressure, almost like an annoying chain letter in a text.

Oh, c’mon.

I’m sure some of them didn’t watch it, because that happens with some nominees every year.

But there’s nothing there different from any other campaign, which are all constantly looking to increase visibility.

P(oweR) Valley
    Topics:

Oh, c’mon.

I’m sure some of them didn’t watch it, because that happens with some nominees every year.

But there’s nothing there different from any other campaign, which are all constantly looking to increase visibility.

Celebrities spamming Twitter for a performance they likely haven’t seen out of peer pressure right at the tip of Oscar voting is not “increasing visibility.” If this was a situation where there was an outpour of love for Andrea Riseborough at the beginning of the season, then I wouldn’t question it. But it’s shady that this “blitz” came right during voting and at the expense of WOC who were considered frontrunners. Y’all can flip it the way y’all want, but the industry was pretty transparent with this one.

ThinkGreen88
    Topics:

I don’t think Andrea will win… actors won’t be enough to secure a win unless BAFTA goes for 1 and SAG for another one different so maybe the splitting of votes… idk

It would not surprise me at all if De Armas wins BAFTA and then the Oscar at this point… if BAFTA goes to Emma Thompson well… a mess 🤣

Lisandro Costa
    Topics:

Folks, Andrea has the Oscar in the bag.

Uri Urusha
    Topics:

I don’t think Andrea will win… actors won’t be enough to secure a win unless BAFTA goes for 1 and SAG for another one different so maybe the splitting of votes… idk It would not surprise me at all if De Armas wins BAFTA and then the Oscar at this point… if BAFTA goes to Emma Thompson well… a mess 🤣

That’s question right now ,isn’t it?will actors branch be enough? Guess we’ll know in 2 months.

MichelleReign
    Topics:

Not some of you shitting on Andre for campaigning. Something all actresses involved are doing in one way or another.

Why not shit on Academy and question or think why this is happening year after year? A black actress hasn’t been snubbed for the first time.

Sean C
    Topics:

Celebrities spamming Twitter for a performance they likely haven’t seen out of peer pressure right at the tip of Oscar voting is not “increasing visibility.”

First, this ‘peer pressure’ thing is entirely your invention. Nobody was feeling pressured by email requests from the #4 female lead in the latter seasons of The West Wing.

Second, yes, it obviously is increasing visibility. Hence why everyone started talking about Riseborough when it happened. Which was the goal.

If this was a situation where there was an outpour of love for Andrea Riseborough at the beginning of the season, then I wouldn’t question it.

What difference would that make? To the extent that this differs at all from regular Oscar campaigning it’s that they essentially opted to ignore the precursors and focus everything on the Academy itself, which is a high-risk strategy but probably out of necessity given the limited resources.

MysticMagix
    Topics:

Andrea winning would be hilarious. I no longer have a dog in this race. Maybe yeoh is my dog. But other than her, idc who wins

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Andrea winning would be hilarious. I no longer have a dog in this race. Maybe yeoh is my dog. But other than her, idc who wins

That’s so salty. You don’t actually care about acting or awards, just POC picks above literally all else (in acting categories – no interest in the others amirite), and if you don’t get it, you throw your toys out of the pram.

Here for the comedies

babypook
    Topics:

I suppose all of this makes this category more “interesting” than other years.
    It’s a dynamic viewers outside of our bunch knows anything about.

I wonder how Andrea feels about all of this?

The Sunne in Splendour.
    I prefer my roses white

mafro987
    Topics:

That’s so salty. You don’t actually care about acting or awards, just POC picks above literally all else (in acting categories – no interest in the others amirite), and if you don’t get it, you throw your toys out of the pram.

You taking so much time out of your day and refreshing this page replying to everything is salty 💀 you’re pressed at the backlash. We are bothered with the rigged industry, but why are you so bothered? You literally got what you wanted but you’re still here?

And yes, after once again witnessing how rigged against women of colour this system is, it’s absolutely justifiable to want that. I actually preferred Blanchett’s performance to Yeoh’s (though Deadwyler was better than both in my opinion), but will be supporting Yeoh for the win. Deal with it.

Also, didn’t you just write a whole paragraph saying campaigning is about the friends contenders know and can leverage? But now you’re reframing the debate towards ‘caring about acting’? Make it make sense.

FYC: Danielle Deadwyler, Best Actress in a Leading Role

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

First, this ‘peer pressure’ thing is entirely your invention. Nobody was feeling pressured by email requests from the #4 female lead in the latter seasons of The West Wing.

Second, yes, it obviously is increasing visibility. Hence why everyone started talking about Riseborough when it happened. Which was the goal

What difference would that make? To the extent that this differs at all from regular Oscar campaigning it’s that they essentially opted to ignore the precursors and focus everything on the Academy itself, which is a high-risk strategy but probably out of necessity given the limited resources.

Finally some objective sense here, people are acting like the entire Academy membership uses Twitter or heard of Frances Fisher. If it were so easy to influence an awards race with a Twitter/email campaign, the nominations would have resembled the Gold Derby/People’s Choice awards…(trust me, I’ve tried and failed every year 💀)

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

Berlin2002
    Topics:

Finally some objective sense here, people are acting like the entire Academy membership uses Twitter or heard of Frances Fisher. If it were so easy to influence an awards race with a Twitter/email campaign, the nominations would have resembled the Gold Derby/People’s Choice awards…(trust me, I’ve tried and failed every year 💀)

Thank you for saying that. It needed to be said.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 25)’ is closed to new replies.