Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 25)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 25)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 515 total)
Created
3 days ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
replies
views
users
Anna Delvey
babypook
Actormogul

• Justice4Danielle
    Topics:

Viola winning sag would be a helluva surprise. We know that sag loves Viola but I dont even think she could pull out a win here given the circumstances

People didn’t think that with Carey Mulligan and Frances McDormand along side her either. Never say never. I know who Jennifer Lawrence is voting for. We all do. She’s one vote, but I’m sure there’s many other Jennifer Lawrences within SAG voting group that are voting Viola to win.

Actormogul
    Topics:

People didn’t think that with Carey Mulligan and Frances McDormand along side her either. Never say never. I know who Jennifer Lawrence is voting for. We all do. She’s one vote, but I’m sure there’s many other Jennifer Lawrences within SAG voting group that are voting Viola to win.

True,

I can also see Davis stand behind Yeoh because she’s a personal of color nominee at the Oscars or Deadwyler at SAG and help campaign her to the end of course she wants to win SAG but I think If given the choice Viola would encourage her supports to cast a vote to give Yeoh her accolades than to get her another SAG especially since Viola has already won here.

Anna Delvey
    Topics:

I don’t see Davis winning SAG. But even if she did, I think her supporters may be more likely to line up behind Yeoh in the end. Again, how The Woman King missed Ensemble over the likes of Babylon there is baffling to me.

The ensemble miss is irrelevant because 1) she herself still got nominated and 2) the noms were selected by a nom comm of 2.5K people whereas all 160K members get to vote for the winners.

I would not be surprised to see Frances try to father votes for Viola and Danielle after the backlash she is getting in comments.

Zuranthium
    Topics:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/to_leslie

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/till

Same score

Rotten Tomatoes fresh/rotten rating is not a real critics aggregate. To Leslie has 84 on Metacritic, Till has 79.

TheLordMan
    Topics:

You’re all just beating a dead horse at this point. Yes, there is racism within the Academy as an institution, and this is one of the biggest reasons for Deadwyler and Davis’s snub. All actresses are just looking for their recognition and moment of glory, normal human behavior. They can benefit from the racist system but that does not mean that they as individuals are racist, malicious or undeserving. Directing that anger at Andrea Riseborough is futile and doesn’t bring about any real change, especially if it’s repetitive complaints on internet forums. People should show their dissatisfaction through the Academy’s means of communication with the public, if they see fit ask for the implementation of a jury system like the BAFTA to prevent snubs like this from happening again, engage with press material that brings attention to these problems. But I think it’s important to remember that despite still having a lot to progress, the Academy wasn’t oblivious to diversity this year. We will have an Asian man winning Supporting Actor and a black woman winning Supporting Actress, and we had the second Asian actress and the fifth Latina actress nominated for Best Actress.

I know you’re not saying this but that’s never enough. You can’t pat them on the back if we know there’s work to do.

And if you don’t think any of these actresses aren’t racist as individuals, you’re really that naive.

kamila
    Topics:

The ensemble miss is irrelevant because 1) she herself still got nominated and 2) the noms were selected by a nom comm of 2.5K people whereas all 160K members get to vote for the winners. I would not be surprised to see Frances try to father votes for Viola and Danielle after the backlash she is getting in comments.

The nom com argument often works until it doesn’t. Sometimes a snub is just a snub. The Woman King did well enough at the box office and critically (with a big enough head start over many of the films in the category) that it feels fair to say it should’ve gotten past that barrier. I wouldn’t dare discount the power we all know Davis has at SAG, but I think it will be tough if voters are split between her and Danielle given that Yeoh will pull votes too.

Anna Delvey
    Topics:

The nom com argument often works until it doesn’t. Sometimes a snub is just a snub. The Woman King did well enough at the box office and critically (with a big enough head start over many of the films in the category) that it feels fair to say it should’ve gotten past that barrier. I wouldn’t dare discount the power we all know Davis has at SAG, but I think it will be tough if voters are split between her and Danielle given that Yeoh will pull votes too.

I don’t think it will happen either, but I truly don’t think the ensemble miss hurts Viola in any way.

Lil Tony
    Topics:

Rotten Tomatoes fresh/rotten rating is not a real critics aggregate. To Leslie has 84 on Metacritic, Till has 79.

So the 5% difference on MC is a big deal to you. 79 is higher than some BP winners. It’s even higher than all the best actress nominees last year.

Danielle Deadwyler gave the performance of the year.

I remain Lady Gaga's BIGGEST FAN

crabbie
    Topics:

I cannot believe people are bringing up critics scores to point how Andrea is stronger than Deadwyler when y’all are the same people who say critics don’t matter (and they don’t for acting!). Till has a 97% Rotten Tomatoes audience score compared to To Leslie’s 84%. Both movies have the same IMDB score. Till has a 3.7 on Letterboxd and To Leslie has a 3.5. Andrea got the nomination based on her peers not because of her supposed movie strength.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

Justice4Danielle
    Topics:

I wouldn’t put much stock in the “Viola is vulnerable at SAG because Women King missed ensemble” when we’ve seen in just the last 10 years, 7 Best Actress winners at SAG without an ensemble nom.
    Viola was strong enough to get in on her own, she’s still a threat to spoil.

Milk Money
    Topics:

At least we’ve finally moved on from Margot Robbie being win competitive “because she’s an ingenue” 😉

Yep, just like we did from Carey winning for being an anti-hero. 😉

crabbie
    Topics:

Also the delusion of predicting Andrea to win💀. Girl is a lone film nominee and no one outside of the acting branch will vote for her. In fact that’s even ignoring the fact that some people in the acting branch will also vote for Yeoh and Blanchett. Andrea’s friends got her the nomination and that’s all of the impact they’ll have and we’re now back to our scheduled programming of Yeoh vs Blanchett.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

Actormogul
    Topics:

I cannot believe people are bringing up critics scores to point how Andrea is stronger than Deadwyler when y’all are the same people who say critics don’t matter (and they don’t for acting!). Till has a 97% Rotten Tomatoes audience score compared to To Leslie’s 84%. Both movies have the same IMDB score. Till has a 3.7 on Letterboxd and To Leslie has a 3.5. Andrea got the nomination based on her peers not because of her supposed movie strength.

The way the girls be reaching with this….

Milk Money
    Topics:

Also the delusion of predicting Andrea to win💀. Girl is a lone film nominee and no one outside of the acting branch will vote for her. In fact that’s even ignoring the fact that some people in the acting branch will also vote for Yeoh and Blanchett. Andrea’s friends got her the nomination and that’s all of the impact they’ll have and we’re now back to our scheduled programming of Yeoh vs Blanchett.

People here said the same thing about Ana and Andrea even getting nominated, so…

The attention the latter has received these past few days is unprecedented. If most voters didn’t know who she was before they definitely do now and may screen her film online. I’m currently picking Cate, but may change if I hear otherwise.

babypook
    Topics:

Aren’t you also bringing up critics scores to illustrate your own point?

The Sunne in Splendour.
    I prefer my roses white

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 25)’ is closed to new replies.