Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 27)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 27)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 489 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
babypook
Mladen
jjjmoss

• Babylonian
    Topics:

Clayton Davis says a lot of stupid things in that post. No one has ever witnessed such a concerted effort for ANY performer or director–Black, white, Asian, Latino, or anything else. This was a first-time, specific occurrence for this particular performer in this particular film. Why didn’t anyone do it for a Black performer? The same reason no one had ever done it for a different white performer, or any other kind of performer, before now–because this was about this specific performance in this specific film.

Probably the same reason Halle Berry is the only black actress to ever win in this category.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Opium
    Topics:

Clayton Davis says… Andrea Riseborough Isn’t the Reason Black Women Were Snubbed From Oscar Noms — The System Is

Said the POC pundit who spent a big part of this season kissing the white Taylor Swift ass in order her to win an Oscar over a mediocre music video.

If only he would have put the same dedication in promoting and giving more articles and spotlight to those black actresses instead of doing dumb articles licking Taylor Swift ass or predicting Gaga to be snubbed with no reason just for clicks.

He’s the first of being part of that rotten system and with even making money out of it.

madsxbb
    Topics:

Said the POC pundit who spent a big part of this season kissing the white Taylor Swift ass in order her to win an Oscar over a mediocre music video. If only he would have put the same dedication in promoting and giving more articles and spotlight to those black actresses instead of doing dumb articles licking Taylor Swift ass or predicting Gaga to be snubbed with no reason just for clicks. He’s the first of being part of that rotten system and with even making money out of it.

he is working not doing charity work, he wont make articles to promote black actors if those are flops that get no clicks and make no money

of couse he is predicting a lady gaga snub so her crazy fans will click his articles and leave comments, of course he is predicting taylor swift after getting a good paycheck from her, this is capitalism lol

wattsgold
    Topics:

Why the hell is Howery coming after Ana? All this bullshit of everyone questioning female nominees but not a single soul has complained about that fucking Actor lineup. God forbid a man is criticized in Hollywood. But yeah, let’s trash a hardworking Latina.

Archie Leach
    Topics:

Why the hell is Howery coming after Ana? All this bullshit of everyone questioning female nominees but not a single soul has complained about that fucking Actor lineup. God forbid a man is criticized in Hollywood. But yeah, let’s trash a hardworking Latina.

Yeah that really made me not like him.

madsxbb
    Topics:

people dont have this energy towards men or white american women

de armas has been trashed for months but if a different actress was playing the role she would have been given nothing but praises

howery coming after someone he has worked with before is so dirty, nobody questions michelle williams nominated for doing the bare minimum in her movie

Hawk
    Topics:

Michelle and Cate would both make worthy winners this year imo. Cate had an extremely complex and technically challenging role to tackle and she completely nailed it. She brings a lot of subtitles and nuances to Lydia Tar, and there are plenty of moments in the film where you just can’t take your eyes off her. She was absolutely electric. The fact that Tar is basically a Cate Blanchett showcase really helps her case as well.

On the other hand, I feel like Michelle just perfectly embodied her character and so powerfully portrayed the conflicting emotions she had towards her husband and daughter. Her performance in EEAAO’s final scenes is so beautiful; you can literally feel the love Evelyn has for her daughter pouring out of her. She manages to make ridiculous things like hot-dog fingers emotional and tear-jerking.

It’s a tough call to make and I don’t envy the Academy voters for having to make it. I think I’d have to go with Michelle because of the impact that would go along with her winning, but both of them would be richly deserving. This is one of those years where I would be happy with a tie honestly lol. I don’t like the way people have been going after each other. Saying someone is racist for rooting for Cate is pretty absurd, as is the way I’ve seen some people dismiss Michelle’s performance as well.

K Olivia
    Topics:

Unwarranted bandwagon Blonde hate. I’m so glad Ana got the nomination just to further piss ppl off.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

well the other plausible name were fellow white men adam sandler and tom cruise so

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

added
    Topics:

I don’t get the hate on Ana, you can hate the movie , but her performance was great and she’s playing an icon. Hate on Williams’s nom, that was a terrible performance and just got nominated because she plays Spielberg’s mother.

ChildishGambino
    Topics:

Just realized that the AACTA Awards did a better job at predicting the final Oscar nominees (4/5 just like in 2022) than the BAFTAs for a second year in a row. They were also more accurate than the SAG Awards.

Most important precursor confirmed? Lol.

Mladen
    Topics:

Statistically, by year:

2011: BAFTA: 3/5, SAG: 4/5, AACTA: 3/5; Winner predicted: BAFTA, AACTA
    2012: BAFTA: 3/5, SAG: 3/5, AACTA: 4/5; Winner predicted: SAG, AACTA
    2013: BAFTA: 4/5, SAG: 4/5, AACTA: 5/5; Winner predicted: SAG, BAFTA, AACTA
    2014: BAFTA: 4/5, SAG: 4/5, AACTA: 4/5; Winner predicted: SAG, BAFTA, AACTA
    2015: BAFTA: 3/5, SAG: 3/5, AACTA: 3/5; Winner predicted: SAG, BAFTA
    2016: BAFTA: 3/5, SAG: 3/5, AACTA: 4/5; Winner predicted: SAG, BAFTA, AACTA
    2017: BAFTA: 4/5, SAG: 4/5, AACTA: 4/5; Winner predicted: SAG, BAFTA
    2018: BAFTA: 4/5, SAG: 4/5, AACTA: 3/5; Winner predicted: BAFTA, AACTA
    2019: BAFTA: 4/5, SAG: 4/5, AACTA: 4/5; Winner predicted: SAG, BAFTA
    2020: BAFTA: 2/5, SAG: 4/5, AACTA: 4/5; Winner predicted: BAFTA
    2021: BAFTA: 0/5, SAG: 3/5, AACTA: 3/5; Winner predicted: SAG
    2022: BAFTA: 3/5, SAG: 3/5, AACTA: 4/5; Winner predicted: TBD

It will never stop being funny how BAFTA did their own thing last year. I think we can say AACTA is becoming the best precursor with the nominees, but not the winners.

As for this year, I expect BAFTA and AACTA to go with Cate, SAG with Yeoh. At that point, it really is a coin toss. It is rather exciting and I hate how some people are ruining this with their hatred. We have two queens in contention, showdown for the ages, perhaps the first time in the last couple of decade where people would even be fine with a tie. How some are not enjoying this is beyond me…

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

YeohBestActress
    Topics:

As for this year, I expect BAFTA and AACTA to go with Cate, SAG with Yeoh. At that point, it really is a coin toss. It is rather exciting and I hate how some people are ruining this with their hatred. We have two queens in contention, showdown for the ages, perhaps the first time in the last couple of decade where people would even be fine with a tie. How some are not enjoying this is beyond me…

I personally am ‘enjoying’ this race but it’s also equally frustrating that a POC will yet again lose the race at finish line. It’s exhausting and discouraging. Yeoh is part of a film beloved by critics, audience, industry. She has the most regional critics wins. Like everything is in her favour and yet she will lose to another white woman. There are 4 narratives, each playing in every category. Quan, Bassett, Fraser – all have terrific performances and are frontrunners. And yet, like always, that narrative isn’t benefiting a POC this year. It’s also surprising how less weightage some of us are giving to her potential win and what it will mean for Asian actors.

I am not dismissing Cate. She give a fantastic performance and her win will be much deserved. But I just won’t be the most ecstatic.

Opium
    Topics:

he is working not doing charity work, he wont make articles to promote black actors if those are flops that get no clicks and make no money of couse he is predicting a lady gaga snub so her crazy fans will click his articles and leave comments, of course he is predicting taylor swift after getting a good paycheck from her, this is capitalism lol

Please, let’s save the word “work” for somebody that is actually doing that seriously, even 6 years old kids can come up with better and more serious written articles than him.

The one that is doing ‘charity’ is Variety with keeping him employed.

Capitalism is still not an excuse to justify his hypocrisy, he’s not in a position to called a system rotten when he’s the first to be part of that without giving spotlight to poc contenders, especially when he’s a poc himself.

Nobody is clicking that blatant clickbait shit anyway that is not even working considering the results this year, if anything every year always more he’s losing credibility and he’s being considered a joke in the film community.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 489 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 27)’ is closed to new replies.