Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 27)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 27)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 489 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
babypook
Mladen
jjjmoss

• MD
    Topics:

If Andrea somehow wins, I better see Regina King on that Oscar stage next year

Everything Everywhere All At Once for BP

SOS for AOTY

Succession for Best Series

estrelas
    Topics:

Finished To Leslie

Andrea was very good though.

Uri Urusha
    Topics:

The Immigrant exists.

Thats cotillard doing polish accent which is much is easier to pull for a french actor,still she sound German. Her accent in macbeth is bad.also haven’t done regional American accent convincingly.

estrelas
    Topics:

Thats cotillard doing polish accent which is much is easier to pull for a french actor,still she sound German.

If you say so…

Mladen
    Topics:

She did, but the white celebs did not coalesce around Tang Wei. They coalesced around a white actress, Andrea Riseborough, an actress she also mentioned. So a fan mentioned that she was the only one pushing Tang Wei, therein lies the problem. You cannot push two, three, four different people, you need to push one and get people to coalesce around that one person. She’s a bad example, I only included her to show how white actors from so many different countries will support other white actors. I’ll take her out because the comment made some people upset, but the point still stands that the rest of the white celeb crowd primarily push white actors.

You are creating the sense of this “great white conspiracy” and putting all the white actresses in the same category. You fail to realize there are differences between them. CHer organized screening for “Till”. Helen Mirren also hosted screening. Have you heard Blanchett speaking about Viola and her acting at Palm Springs? Furthermore, no one but Cate mentioned Tang Wei throughout this season. And has there been any justice in the world, she would have been nominated. Charlize Theron and Anne Hathaway also publicly supported Michelle Yeoh. So, the point of white actresses supporting white actresses may be correct for some, but it would be wrong to believe that (1) they have done so because Andrea is white and (2) they did that because they are all white.

The big issue here is not the grassroot campaign but who was pushed out. Had it been Ana de Armas or Michelle Williams, no one would care. But she pushed Deadwyler or Davis (she couldn’t have pushed out both, although that “lock” post casts suspicion on that too) So, the problem is not even this support, but the sad result of it. And I knew there was a chance of something like this happening but people were convinced Williams or De Armas are out. We wouldn’t be having this conversation if Deadwyler was nominated.

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

NevadaR
    Topics:

Clayton davis is going mad on twitter.

He needs to calm down.

the wendell show
    Topics:

Personally, I would put Riseborough over Blanchett. I have a preference for more human, lived-in roles. Blanchett was technically impressive. Everything was so precise, and maybe that was the point. I can acknowledge the skill and expertise that Blanchett brought to Lydia Tar, but Lydia was not as believable as a human as the other characters the other nominees played. That’s why I’d choose Yeoh over Blanchett. Despite it being a sci-fi genre film, Evelyn Wang was more believable as a real human than Lydia Tar. Again, personal preference. I’d still choose Deadwyler though…

Unfortunately, the reality is that people like Lydia do actually exist everywhere – especially in music & art world.  They skirt the line between perfectionism and authoritarianism when creating their art.  I have performed under people like Lydia and know many music directors/conductors who rule with an iron fist for musical perfection.  This one director I knew argued the correct pronunciation of a Spanish phrase with a singer whose first language was Spanish.  It was a sickening display of arrogance and yet he was extremely popular.  Lydia is everywhere.

laslo
    Topics:

Personally, I would put Riseborough over Blanchett. I have a preference for more human, lived-in roles. Blanchett was technically impressive. Everything was so precise, and maybe that was the point. I can acknowledge the skill and expertise that Blanchett brought to Lydia Tar, but Lydia was not as believable as a human as the other characters the other nominees played. That’s why I’d choose Yeoh over Blanchett. Despite it being a sci-fi genre film, Evelyn Wang was more believable as a real human than Lydia Tar. Again, personal preference. I’d still choose Deadwyler though…

I understand your point of view. I share the thought that Evelyn Wang is a more human and emotionally engaging character. Depending on your professional field, you will find some people very similar to Lydia Tár, but her not being “believable as a human being” is quite intentional.
    The character is a façade meticulously constructed by a woman who aspires to create the illusion of prestige, and one of the film’s great themes is the need to dismantle the ego in the face of art. One of my biggest problems with the script is that Todd Field doesn’t pull back the curtain until very late in the film, we only see a more intimate side of Lydia in the last few minutes when she returns home, if Field had used the scenes where Lydia is alone during the film as a window for the viewer to understand the difference between the human being at the center of the character and the façade created to satisfy the demands of the status she finds herself in, perhaps we would have a more complete and complex exploration of the character’s emotions.

Münster
    Topics:

Cotillard yet havent convincingly played someone with different precise accent, nationally,physicality of someone thats different from her own country. In la vin she had the iconic French singer to mimic from.cottilard is French as well. Her ability is like meryl. They are so astonishingly natural onscreen. U get them a full famous person to mimic,they can do that too,but their shortage is they can’t create a character with different physicality, voice, accent, mannerisms different from their own if you can’t provide them without a famous person to mimic.

Cotillard played a Belgian woman very convincingly with a very convincing Liège accent in Two Days, One Night. You wouldn’t know though so I don’t blame you.

Münster
    Topics:

Thats cotillard doing polish accent which is much is easier to pull for a french actor,still she sound German. Her accent in macbeth is bad.also haven’t done regional American accent convincingly.

Forgive me for giving you a serious reply because you are clearly trolling.

jez89
    Topics:

She did, but the white celebs did not coalesce around Tang Wei. They coalesced around a white actress, Andrea Riseborough, an actress she also mentioned. So a fan mentioned that she was the only one pushing Tang Wei, therein lies the problem. You cannot push two, three, four different people, you need to push one and get people to coalesce around that one person. She’s a bad example, I only included her to show how white actors from so many different countries will support other white actors. I’ll take her out because the comment made some people upset, but the point still stands that the rest of the white celeb crowd primarily push white actors.

Oh just shut up. How on earth are people still harping on about racism in this forum? It’s sad.

Milk Money
    Topics:

Imagine thinking Charlize who basically swept that awards season 20 years ago didn’t have the attention Andrea is getting lmfao.

Andrea’s media attention eclipses Charlize’s that year. Sweep and all. People who don’t even follow the Oscars are talking about the former.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

are they though?

it’s not like it’s the slap, or even the wrong winner being announced. i haven’t seen chatter outside of the awards obsessed.

YeohBestActress
    Topics:

Andrea things needs to stop. It’s exhausting and is taking away attention from all films this season. Have we even talked about Brian Terry Henry since nominations?

Uri Urusha
    Topics:

Cotillard played a Belgian woman very convincingly with a very convincing Liège accent in Two Days, One Night. You wouldn’t know though so I don’t blame you.

Belgium accent, polish accent are very close to French accent and she didn’t sound precise. If she actually could pull accent precisely, then there’s no way she wouldn’t use it in macbeth,dark Knight rises, inception where every cast member has the same accent and only cotillard stick out with her French accent. Her accent in public enemy was really bad.

Ps.resorting to personal attack when u don’t have a valid point to back u up,does look pretty desperate.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 489 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 27)’ is closed to new replies.