Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 6)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 498 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Norma Jeane
Anna Delvey
ejaru1810

• Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Part 6 is now open.

Münster
    Topics:

LMAO. Reading the Best Actress threads on AW is always a treat. For a place that bans people for saying “mistress”, it’s amusing to see how defensive the white wokeists of AW get when their racial biases get called out.

Unlike how they treat everyone with differing opinions though, I’ll be charitable and say that their racial biases are mostly unconscious, and that they only react that way to being critiqued for their blind spots because nobody likes to be associated with anything to do with racism.

This is why GD is so much superior. It allows messiness and doesn’t pretend to be holier than thou. Open and honest discussions are actually possible here, and differences of opinions are not a crime.

laslo
    Topics:

CarlosEdu
    Topics:

wolfali
    Topics:

1. Cate Blanchett, TÁR
    2. Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    3. Margot Robbie, Babylon
    4. Danielle Deadwyler, Till
    5. Naomi Ackie, I Wanna Dance with Somebody

6. Olivia Colman, Empire of Light
    7. Viola Davis, The Woman King
    8. Jennifer Lawrence, Causeway
    9. Ana de Armas, Blonde
    10. Carey Mulligan, She Said

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Mladen
    Topics:

For the new thread…

1. Cate Blanchett, TÁR
    2. Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    3. Viola Davis, The Woman King
    4. Margot Robbie, Babylon
    5. Naomi Ackie, I Wanna Dance with Somebody

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: Steven Spielberg
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Claire Foy/Jessie Buckley

Luke Dias
    Topics:

Here’s where I’m at right now:

1. Margot Robbie (Babylon): I mentioned this in the main Babylon thread, but her trajectory is way too high for me to not think she has a chance of winning.
    2. Michelle Yeoh (Everything Everywhere All at Once): So glad that she’s even here, let alone this obviously high.
    3. Cate Blanchett (TAR): The raves and Todd Field’s track record have her a lock.
    4. Olivia Colman (Empire of Light): I kind of want to, but I can’t deny the sheer presence Colman suddenly has in awards season.
    5. Ana de Armas (Blonde): With the positive reviews for her performance coming in, I’m sticking to my guns on this one – and also predicting she’s the film’s only nomination.

As for the others:

• Danielle Deadwyler (Till): This would be awesome, but the teaser trailer looks so baity that it doesn’t inspire confidence in me. That said, I don’t see the Oscars not nominating a black performer for the foreseeable future, and if any of them get in, it might be her.
    • Carey Mulligan (She Said): It’s a real shame, but the conversation seems to have died around this movie in favor of Women Talking.
    • Naomi Ackie (I Wanna Dance With Somebody): This looks like a flop, I’m sorry.
    • Jennifer Lawrence (Causeway): Will do well in the A24 circles, but I think the good reviews appear to be too little, too late.
    • Viola Davis: (The Woman King): Basically the same as Deadwyler, but with reviews to back it up.

ejaru1810
    Topics:

1) Cate Blanchett
    2) Margot Robbie
    3) Michelle Yeoh
    4) Viola Davis
    5) Naomi Ackie/Ana de Armas/Olivia Colman

moonshineandmollyxo
    Topics:

Causeway won’t be released until November. I don’t see how the good reviews are too late.

crabbie
    Topics:

Cate Blanchett vs Michelle Yeoh is such a delicious race for cinephiles and talent.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Director: Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

jamjonesjames
    Topics:

I’m only confident in Cate, Michelle and Viola getting nominated. I’m less confident about the others because the trailers or reviews haven’t motivated me to predict them. But in order of likability I’d say it’s:

1) Cate

2) Michelle

3) Viola

4) Olivia

5) Danielle

6) Naomi

7) Jennifer

8) Margot

9) Ana

10) Emma

This order will definitely switch when the movies get released and I actually see them.

Drusilla
    Topics:

I’m only confident in Cate, Michelle and Viola getting nominated.

I wish I had your confidence in Viola. My hunch is that her film is too action-y for her to make the cut.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

BurgerFriesSoda
    Topics:

I’d love to have a discussion here on a civil level please. Those who aren’t predicting Yeoh, can you give me a reason other than her film isn’t Academy Friendly or Genre Bias? I’m legit curious, because I’m trying to find the only possible way she would ever miss here and that’s the only thing I can think of. Theres just no denying that magnificent performance. So I’m open to hearing from others not predicting her, why not?

Yeah, the hesitation is largely just genre. It’s valid, based on the history of how nominees happen or have happened. The last time this category had a nominee like that was in 1986 (Weaver in Aliens). Some would make a case for Bullock in Gravity, but that film strayed more into realism than these others.

That being said, I’m predicting her and think she’s the current frontrunner for the win, but I wouldn’t be shocked if she didn’t just get the nomination and they reward somebody else. That would suck, though.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.