Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 6)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 498 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Norma Jeane
Anna Delvey
ejaru1810

• jamjonesjames
    Topics:

I wish I had your confidence in Viola. My hunch is that her film is too action-y for her to make the cut.

Have you seen the movie? If not I hope you do then I believe you’ll understand. And the opinion of the film being too actiony doesn’t make sense because there hasn’t been a movie like this ever. And it’s literally received acclaim from critics and Viola is the best chance the film has at a nomination.

OscarBait
    Topics:

I’d love to have a discussion here on a civil level please. Those who aren’t predicting Yeoh, can you give me a reason other than her film isn’t Academy Friendly or Genre Bias? I’m legit curious, because I’m trying to find the only possible way she would ever miss here and that’s the only thing I can think of. Theres just no denying that magnificent performance. So I’m open to hearing from others not predicting her, why not?

There really isn’t a reason other than genre bias, but that’s why I’m not predicting her. The last actor nominated for a science fiction film was Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys, and that was 27 years ago. In the last decade ArrivalBlack PantherDuneHer, and Mad Max: Fury Road all failed to receive acting nominations despite Best Picture nominations, which is why I think a Best Picture nomination for Everything Everywhere All At Once is more in reach than acting nominations. It’s not impossible for Michelle Yeoh to overcome that, but in my opinion that is enough reason to be skeptical. After Amy Adams got every nomination she needed to get for Arrival and then missed in favor of Ruth Negga and Meryl Streep in traditional biopics I’m very skeptical of sci-fi performances getting nominated, no matter how much people like them. Time will tell for Yeoh, but there’s already no shortage of contenders, on top of those unseen, so for now I’m keeping her out of my predictions. I’m not trying to tell people they’re wrong for predicting her or to convince others to not predict her, just hoping this helps people understand why some like myself aren’t predicting a nomination.

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Zahra Amir Ebrahimi

Ana de Armas

Cate Blanchett

Tang Wei

Michelle Yeoh

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

GoldenLibra
    Topics:

Once again people are underestimating Viola Davis. You know the most nominated black actress, triple crown winner, in a movie that has rave reviews, in a transformative performance unlike anything she’s ever done before… And what’s so funny is the same thing happened with Ma Rainey. So many ppl on this forum underestimated her the full season, and yet she ended up getting nominated, won Sag, and likely came extremely close to winning. Maybe she won’t win but ruling her out for a nomination is like ruling out Meryl Streep.

Mladen
    Topics:

Just for statistical purposes, the Metascores:

1. TÁR – 92 (17 reviews)
    2. Everything Everywhere All at Once – 81 (510 reviews)
    3. The Woman King – 76 (20 reviews)
    4. Causeway – 64 (9 reviews)
    5. Blonde – 64 (16 reviews)
    6. Empire of Light – 60 (11 reviews)

Three of these movies have the chance of getting into Best Picture category (2 at least, TAR and EEAAO would be “lock”).

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: Steven Spielberg
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Claire Foy/Jessie Buckley

Hawk
    Topics:

September Predictions:

1 Michelle Yeoh, EEAAO
    2 Cate Blanchett, TAR
    3 Margot Robbie, Babylon
    4 Danielle Deadwyler, Till
    5 Jennifer Lawrence, Causeway

6 Viola Davis, The Woman King (A lock for SAG though)
    7 Naomi Ackie, I Wanna Dance with Somebody
    8 Olivia Colman, Empire of Light
    9 Carey Mulligan, She Said
    10 Jessica Chastain, The Good Nurse

crabbie
    Topics:

Pretty sure Michelle Yeoh has much more passion and stronger narrative than Amy Adams in Arrival.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Director: Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

ejaru1810
    Topics:

I hope Viola gets the nomination, for the first time, in probably ever, we have a 57 year old black woman playing a fucking general/warrior in an action film. This is what I need being recognized over the usual biopics, Yeoh and Davis are proving POC actors can do more that what Hollywood has let them portray. We need this kind of roles!!!!!!

Münster
    Topics:

I’d love to have a discussion here on a civil level please. Those who aren’t predicting Yeoh, can you give me a reason other than her film isn’t Academy Friendly or Genre Bias? I’m legit curious, because I’m trying to find the only possible way she would ever miss here and that’s the only thing I can think of.

Theres just no denying that magnificent performance. So I’m open to hearing from others not predicting her, why not?

People in these communities keep missing the point when they try to infer from “history” or “stats”. Yes, action/comedy films have historically been overlooked at the Oscars. But it’s not necessarily because the voters have any kind of inherent contempt for the genre, and there are certainly no rules forbidding the Academy from recognizing films that happen to fall under this genre on paper.

Reality is, EEAAO is a commercially successful, critically acclaimed crowd-pleaser that is widely regarded within the industry as a top contender for the Oscars. That in itself already defies the genre bias theorem. How many action/comedy films have ever gotten in this position before?

Yes, tides could change and the industry could change its mind from now to January, but it won’t be because the voters suddenly decide “Well, it’s an amazing movie and she’s incredible in it, but it’s action/comedy so nope.”

kamila
    Topics:

Stiff genre arguments would’ve disqualified Parasite based on its gory third act.

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Well michelle yeoh has a strong passion, and narrative to overcome genre bias

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

i might get eaten but i don’t think Robbie will win especially against Blanchett and Yeoh

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Pretty sure Michelle Yeoh has much more passion and stronger narrative than Amy Adams in Arrival.

I don’t even recall anyone (at least at the loudness it is at today) being passionate about her performance at the time until she didn’t make it on nomination morning.

BrazilianDude
    Topics:

Go, Yeoh!

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.