Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 6)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 498 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Norma Jeane
Anna Delvey
ejaru1810

• Babylonian
    Topics:

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

ejaru1810
    Topics:

I never watched any of her videos but this one made me really excited about the film. The studio better campaign the fuck out of this film.

OscarBait
    Topics:

People in these communities keep missing the point when they try to infer from “history” or “stats”. Yes, action/comedy films have historically been overlooked at the Oscars. But it’s not necessarily because the voters have any kind of inherent contempt for the genre, and there are certainly no rules forbidding the Academy from recognizing films that happen to fall under this genre on paper. Reality is, EEAAO is a commercially successful, critically acclaimed crowd-pleaser that is widely regarded within the industry as a top contender for the Oscars. That in itself already defies the genre bias theorem. How many action/comedy films have ever gotten in this position before? Yes, tides could change and the industry could change its mind from now to January, but it won’t be because the voters suddenly decide “Well, it’s an amazing movie and she’s incredible in it, but it’s action/comedy so nope.”

I don’t believe voters who love hers or any other genre performance would automatically disqualify her because it’s science fiction. I do believe a large portion of the actor’s branch has a bias, whether conscious or unconscious, against performances in genre films and prefer the types of films we consistently see do well in the acting categories like biopics, historical dramas, and films about Hollywood.

OscarBait
    Topics:

Stiff genre arguments would’ve disqualified Parasite based on its gory third act.

Fair enough, but I think it’s worth noting that Parasite wasn’t really marketed as a genre film, and received no acting nominations.

kamila
    Topics:

Fair enough, but I think it’s worth noting that Parasite wasn’t really marketed as a genre film, and received no acting nominations.

But is EEAAO being marketed as a genre film? I think it’s cashing in on the genre-defying label. Even setting aside how prejudiced the Academy has been to Asian actors, Parasite’s cast was far less known than Yeoh is and Neon waited too late to start trying to push for them.

I’m a little surprised you’re more confident about it landing Picture than Actress though, especially since I would expect that they’d go together given how much the film’s campaign is centered on Yeoh. I get the Arrival/Adams comparison, but EEAAO is a much warmer, family-oriented film. I honestly think the genre issue may hurt them most in Director.

Milk Money
    Topics:

Fair enough, but I think it’s worth noting that Parasite wasn’t really marketed as a genre film, and received no acting nominations.

Yeah, Parasite as a genre film is a bit of a reach.

kamila
    Topics:

Yeah, Parasite as a genre film is a bit of a reach.

Bong himself calls it a genre film.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/parasite-bong-joon-ho-success-next-movies-marvel-netflix-1203408123/

It’s still a genre film, and I consider myself a genre filmmaker as well. But it’s true that it talks about our current reality.

OscarBait
    Topics:

But is EEAAO being marketed as a genre film? I think it’s cashing in on the genre-defying label. Even setting aside how prejudiced the Academy has been to Asian actors, Parasite’s cast was far less known than Yeoh is and Neon waited too late to start trying to push for them. I’m a little surprised you’re more confident about it landing Picture than Actress though, especially since I would expect that they’d go together given how much the film’s campaign is centered on Yeoh. I get the Arrival/Adams comparison, but EEAAO is a much warmer, family-oriented film. I honestly think the genre issue may hurt them most in Director.

EEAAO is absolutely being marketed as a genee film, the multiverse aspect has been central to the marketing. I’m not really sure what being a warm, family-oriented film has to do with Best Actress. Best Picture and Best Director have a much better recent track record of recognizing science fiction films than acting, hence why I think it’s likelier there.

Mladen
    Topics:

I don’t think genre movie is a liability. Not once person gets in conversation for awards, like Yeoh has done. The movie did nice on box-office, it is engaging, critics and audience loved it. The only way I can see it not working for Yeoh is that people completely ignore EEAAO, which I highly doubt would happen, even with some blockbusters and high-production movies coming along.

So, as far as nomination would go, I would be incredibly surprised (read: horrified and angry as hell) if Yeoh misses. Winning is a bit trickier. I feel Blanchett’s team has been preparing for a while for this season – International Goya, Cesar award. She went to Venice and people raved about her and naturally, Volpi Cup was hers. She got Silver Medallion from Telluride. If the regional critics start supporting this (and I feel Blanchett’s role is the one closest to their taste), there will be a steamroller effect here. Between Telluride and Venice, we got three performances that we believed would be high on the list, and Blanchett is the only one who kept going (Colman and De Armas, in all honestly, disqualified themselves from winning)

Davis has this powerful and more importantly, empowering story. I also get the feeling that those who would vote Yeoh would also consider Davis. You have two women from ethnic minorities in very physical roles. They are, as far as we know, very different, but they hit a lot of same buttons. I can see both nominated, not 100% sure about winning. Then again, I am not sure in anyone’s victory ATM.

Lastly, Robbie. I didn’t like it. I find trailer showing us “Robbie being Robbie” (I think that with this trailer, Emma Stone would be undeniable, but for Robbie it somehow feels, IDK if that is the right word, but repetitive, almost derivative.) “Babylon” will be huge, but one must wonder whether it will be a true box office champion with James Cameron’s “Avatar” coming a week prior. The budget is massive – $100M and Robbie and Pitt haven’t been exactly the box-office darlings. We’ll see how it works.

Overall, I am more certain in some ladies’ nominations, than in victories. Which really makes it fun!

wolfali
    Topics:

I have to admit the genre arguments are quite compelling with regards to Yeoh but I think what helps her overcome that is that whilst it is a genre movie, I don’t think voters will treat Everything Everywhere All at Once as such. It’s been celebrated for its landmark representation, for being an indie cinema underdog that made the industry a bucketload of money and for its heartfelt character study of a matriarch of an Asian-American family trying to thrive in the face of being torn apart from both inter-personal and external conflict. Granted Arrival was also a character study told through a sci-fi lens but Adams’ performance (which don’t get me wrong I absolutely loved and think she was cruelly robbed of a win nomination for) was much colder and its themes on motherhood were much subtler.

I also think there’s something to say for Yeoh’s performance being at the crux of her film’s acclaim. Whenever there’s any mention of Everything Everywhere All at Once she comes up and part of why the film ended up being so commercially successful was because of the hype generated behind an interview in which she said that she’s never had an opportunity like this in her career and how proud she was of the film. Last year there were discussions in the prognosticating world over which of Olivia Colman and Kristen Stewart would end up missing the nomination after Alana Haim and Lady Gaga made it in at BAFTA but I think what that taught us was how much passion is favoured over consensus. No matter how strong your film is you have to have the passion to get in and that was something Haim in particular lacked in spite of her film making it into Picture with Gaga missing after her film almost got completely shut out in overall nominations. So I think for Yeoh to miss Everything Everywhere All at Once would have to completely under-perform in nominations. Which is still a theoretical possibility of course but even if that were to somehow happen, I do feel like the passion for Yeoh is transcendent enough for her to make it in (almost a bit like Rosamund Pike in Gone Girl).

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Milk Money
    Topics:

Maybe so but that’s not how Hollywood saw Parasite.

OscarBait
    Topics:

One thing I will say in favor of Yeoh is EEAAO being a film that didn’t cost much to make and made a lot of money has been good for the industry, in a way that few, if any, Best Actress contending films will be. I do that that absolutely helps her case, despite my personal skepticism on her nomination.

kamila
    Topics:

EEAAO is absolutely being marketed as a genee film, the multiverse aspect has been central to the marketing. I’m not really sure what being a warm, family-oriented film has to do with Best Actress. Best Picture and Best Director have a much better recent track record of recognizing science fiction films than acting, hence why I think it’s likelier there.

But calling it an out-and-out sci-fi film leaves out what it’s doing as a family comedy-drama. Context and story matter. Being a warm, family-oriented film is relevant because it reflects the fact that it’s actually a pretty character-driven film. The multiverse isn’t the star. It’s possible to appreciate the spectacle of a film like Arrival and not connect to Adams’ character or think she’s the most compelling thing about it. If you like EEAAO enough to consider it for BP, you’ve already forgiven it for whatever genre it is. It’s hard to understand why you would check its box and not Yeoh’s. There are other action films on the slate this year.

OscarBait
    Topics:

Maybe so but that’s not how Hollywood saw Parasite.

I think marketing is really important in these cases. Darren Aronofsky has similarly said he considers Black Swan a horror film, and I agree with him, but it was marketed as a prestige drama/thriller similar to Parasite. Even if they are arguably genre films, they weren’t marketed that way and that likely meant Academy voters didn’t see them that way.

OscarBait
    Topics:

But calling it an out-and-out sci-fi film leaves out what it’s doing as a family comedy-drama. Context and story matter. Being a warm, family-oriented film is relevant because it reflects the fact that it’s actually a pretty character-driven film. The multiverse isn’t the star. It’s possible to appreciate the spectacle of a film like Arrival and not connect to Adams’ character or think she’s the most compelling thing about it. If you like EEAAO enough to consider it for BP, you’ve already forgiven it for whatever genre it is. It’s hard to understand why you would check its box and not Yeoh’s. There are other action films on the slate this year.

Only actors decide acting nominations, every voter votes on Best Picture. If the Academy as a whole supports the film but the actors brach doesn’t the film can get Best Picture and not Best Actress.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.