Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 7)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 516 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
Norma Jeane
moonshineandm..
Anna Delvey

• laslo
    Topics:

If enough people in the Academy found Lakeith to be supporting, when was THE lead of the movie, them switching Williams down to supporting, on their ballots, wouldn’t really be a stretch tbh.

It wouldn’t be a stretch from the “she’s not the real protagonist” point of view. But I think it would be a stretch that they would consciously ignore Universal’s chosen category to push Williams. What I said about Lakeith and I believe to be true is that what happened to him was very much due to the almost non-existent campaign he received, and the fact that since Kaluuya, who was also a protagonist, was getting a campaign in Supporting for almost the same amount of screen time, it wouldn’t be a problem doing the same to him. They could have voted for Emma Stone in Lead and Olivia Colman in Supporting for The Favourite. How Dev Patel, Viola Davis, Alicia Vikander, Rooney Mara, Christoph Waltz might have been voted Lead. Just like they could have placed Viola Davis in Supporting in 2020, as she didn’t even have 30 minutes of screen time in Ma Rainey’s. Just how Leslie Odom Jr. was nominated for Supporting with 50% of screen time in One Night in Miami. But they didn’t, because the placement chosen by the studio prevails almost every time.

H_H_
    Topics:

“The Fabelmans” will go for the biggest two – Movie and Director.

Is it though? It’s still so early and people get bored so easily. They already went for a family story last time.

Tired of biopics and ham

nkb325
    Topics:

Yea we have no idea what’s going to happen. For all we know Actress COULD be the one place The Fabelmans ends up winning. Or she could not get nominated and it could nothing, or she could get nominated and it wins other things. There’s REALLY know way to know what’s going to happen this far out outside of the acting categories, and even then that’s only when there is one clear frontrunner from the beginning which none of these categories has (anymore lol).

wolfali
    Topics:

Lmao Williams literally had that win on lock what a bizarre decision

Tbh though are we really upset about her moving to lead?

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

estrelas
    Topics:

It wouldn’t be a stretch from the “she’s not the real protagonist” point of view. But I think it would be a stretch that they would consciously ignore Universal’s chosen category to push Williams. What I said about Lakeith and I believe to be true is that what happened to him was very much due to the almost non-existent campaign he received, and the fact that since Kaluuya, who was also a protagonist, was getting a campaign in Supporting for almost the same amount of screen time, it wouldn’t be a problem doing the same to him. They could have voted for Emma Stone in Lead and Olivia Colman in Supporting for The Favourite. How Dev Patel, Viola Davis, Alicia Vikander, Rooney Mara, Christoph Waltz might have been voted Lead. Just like they could have placed Viola Davis in Supporting in 2020, as she didn’t even have 30 minutes of screen time in Ma Rainey’s. Just how Leslie Odom Jr. was nominated for Supporting with 50% of screen time in One Night in Miami. But they didn’t, because the placement chosen by the studio prevails almost every time.

Yeah, I guess you’re right.

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

West Side Story had a huge hype and a huge campaign too and lost most of their nominations. He lost a little of his power in the last few years. West Side Story was supposed to be a very big success at the box office too and it was a flop

moonshineandmollyxo
    Topics:

WSS was distributed by 20th Century. Same as The Last Duel. Same as Amsterdam. Disney acquired 20th Century and is dumping all of the movies it originally created without promoting them because they don’t actually care how well they perform. They never wanted to make them in the first place. This is a major part of why WSS and The Last Duel bombed and why Amsterdam will very likely bomb as well.

Universal Studios won’t do that to The Fabelmans. First of all, they gave it a festival run so they are trying.

Of course, The Last Duel got a festival run too and great reviews and still bombed so who even knows…

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

WSS was distributed by 20th Century. Same as The Last Duel. Same as Amsterdam. Disney acquired 20th Century and is dumping all of the movies it originally created without promoting them because they don’t actually care how well they perform. They never wanted to make them in the first place. This is a major part of why WSS and The Last Duel bombed and why Amsterdam will very likely bomb as well. Universal Studios won’t do that to The Fabelmans. First of all, they gave it a festival run so they are trying. Of course, The Last Duel got a festival run too and great reviews and still bombed so who even knows…

My point is I will wait for The Fabelmans and especially for Spielberg. He has lost few/some of his power in Hollywood in the last few years. First he was against HBO MAX and Netflix and All Streamers, he even said “Lincoln was almost an HBO movie” and now Spielberg is Producing 11 or 12 New Projects for Several Streamers

diego
    Topics:

You guys talk so much nonsense in here.

Babylonian
    Topics:

Michelle Yeoh is quite respected in the industry. The J-lo comparison is a stretch and is kind of sus. Let’s not forget she has a BAFTA nomination and was chosen by the Academy to present an honorary Oscar to Jackie Chan.

Yep, and people forget that Yeoh was a big part of the reason Crazy Rich Asians got a SAG ensemble nomination.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

CarlosEdu
    Topics:

I think I’m the only one here that think Michelle Williams can still wins here, especially if they don’t want to recognize The Fabelmans in Picture, Director or Screenplay.

ysteed
    Topics:

Michelle Yeoh is a long time friend of Jackie Chan. Remember Yeoh started in action films in Hong Kong. Moreover, the academy chooses someone who knows the honoree when presenting an honorary Oscar.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

ysteed
    Topics:

Knowing Cate, I know she won’t care. But I would still want a great performance to win even though it may not be the best one. Mediocre performances winning would be a disservice.

Wanda
    Topics:

I think Cate personally would be more than okay with it too.

And that’s where you are wrong, lmao.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 516 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.