Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 8)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 509 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Selma Linda
Uri_Urusha
crabbie

• CarlosEdu
    Topics:

I like Mia Goth, but do people think she’ll seriously happen outside of the Independent Spirit Awards?

I think she has a chance of getting a CC nomination, Lupita and Toni were nominated there but they had big support from the critics. Maybe BAFTA jury could give a nomination too but not so sure about this.

Mladen
    Topics:

I had no doubts that Davis will get the nomination and that she will indeed be one of the most serious contenders for the win. Since the movie release, it was clear that industry will support Davis, so we are only witnessing what we have already expected.

I was wondering how this movie will do in comparison to “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”. I love that Boseman was not recast and that movie centers around Queen Mother and Shuri having to deal with Kingdom after T’Challa’s death. Angela Basset as Queen Ramonda has all that is needed to become a true icon and I do hope that, if not award circuit, than audience rewards her with attention she deserves.

I won’t lie, given historical inaccuracies that can be even called forgery, I am more inclined towards BPWF than TWK, which suffers from that “white uneducated Hollywood activists speaking about black history”. But then, one must admire, respect and mention Viola’s work in creating job opportunities for POC cast and crew, diversifying the cinema spectrum and promoting equality. And if this leads to more diverse Hollywood, to more interesting movies about African continent and all the richness in content, it will be worthy.

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Most people don’t even have Twitter and most don’t care about this controversy.

Wow, just wow! You do realize that is a SAD commentary of “most people” if it is true? Propagandized minds never cease to amaze me!

leon375
    Topics:

Watch the academy snub yeoh and davis. Those old voters aint touching those films…

Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

Watch the academy snub yeoh and davis. Those old voters aint touching those films…

While that’s a fair fear/assumption, it’s worth noting that 1) The Woman King has been described as an “old-school” crowd-pleaser (I have not seen the movie yet) and 2) some 71% of ticket holders were over the age of 25 during its opening weekend. This would suggest that the movie is skewing somewhat “older” and that older voters would probably actually like the movie. That said, it’s also worth pointing out that the academy membership, especially in the acting branch, is becoming younger on average with each passing year, so I could see the doubts about EEAAO’s performance amounting to nothing, ultimately.

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

While that’s a fair fear/assumption, it’s worth noting that 1) The Woman King has been described as an “old-school” crowd-pleaser (I have not seen the movie yet) and 2) some 71% of ticket holders were over the age of 25 during its opening weekend. This would suggest that the movie is skewing somewhat “older” and that older voters would probably actually like the movie. That said, it’s also worth pointing out that the academy membership, especially in the acting branch, is becoming younger on average with each passing year, so I could see the doubts about EEAAO’s performance amounting to nothing, ultimately.

I gave your thoughtful response a “like” even though I don’t like The Woman King and don’t believe it should get any Oscar nominations. It will, of course, because this is a propagandistic picture that so called “liberals” love – it ticks all of the boxes. I enjoyed the movie but only in a 1940’s Maria Montez absurd movie enjoyment manner. I don’t have Viola Davis in my predictions – I have Blanchett, Deadwyler, Mirren, Robbie, and Yeoh – but if Babylon doesn’t get strong reviews I would put Deavis in her slot. Mirren is in my “older British actress” slot – she and Judi Dench have been the ones who have benefited from this the most. I am also not seeing a foreign language actress nominee this year – at least not so far but those can break late like Cruz did last year.

kamila
    Topics:

I think it’s premature to write off Till as a potential Best Picture nominee. I know someone who saw it at a NYFF press screening who thinks that not only is Deadwyler “just terrific,” but also thought the movie is “great” and is “very surprised that it’s not being talked about more as a Best Picture contender.”

I agree. From a technical standpoint, the trailer didn’t seem that far off from what She Said had to offer. I do think it needs to make a strong showing early though. It’s not going to be a likely critics winner, so showing up in a major way at something like the Globes would help a lot to change its perception as just a Deadwyler vehicle. I don’t think it’s completely out of the running for screenplay either.

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Wow, just wow! You do realize that is a SAD commentary of “most people” if it is true? Propagandized minds never cease to amaze me!

Ugh. You’re always so clueless and have horrible takes. It’s as if you want to be a troll but you’re too dumb to succeed. As of 2021, less than 25% of U.S. adults use Twitter. So, yeah, it’s true: most people don’t have Twitter. Which transitively means most people don’t care about the Margot Robbie “controversy” because they don’t even know about it because it’s only a Twitter thing, and, as we’ve established, most don’t have Twitter. Good God.

I gave your thoughtful response a “like” even though I don’t like The Woman King and don’t believe it should get any Oscar nominations. It will, of course, because this is a propagandistic picture that so called “liberals” love – it ticks all of the boxes. I enjoyed the movie but only in a 1940’s Maria Montez absurd movie enjoyment manner. I don’t have Viola Davis in my predictions – I have Blanchett, Deadwyler, Mirren, Robbie, and Yeoh – but if Babylon doesn’t get strong reviews I would put Deavis in her slot. Mirren is in my “older British actress” slot – she and Judi Dench have been the ones who have benefited from this the most. I am also not seeing a foreign language actress nominee this year – at least not so far but those can break late like Cruz did last year.

And this… What kind of prognosticating is this? Golda is pushed to 2023. But even if it wasn’t, how would an unseen Bleecker Street film without a release date be above Davis in a critically and commercially successful film featuring what many are calling one of her best performances?

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Banshees of Inisherin
    3. The Fabelmans
    4. Avatar: The Way of Water
    5. All Quiet on the Western Front
    6. The Batman
    7. TÁR
    8. Top Gun: Maverick
    9. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
    10. Women Talking

Manav
    Topics:

1.) 77% of Americans doesn’t have Twitter.

2.) 93.9% of the world doesn’t use Twitter.

3.) Film Twitter does not vote for the Oscars.

4.) Not having Twitter does not, by any means or by any logic, amount to sadness. Twitter is and has never been a barometer for happiness.

Anirudh
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/cakeblanchett_/status/1574410367442505729

A new TV spot for TAR!!! Literally shaking

Lil Tony
    Topics:

Saw The Woman King and it was just meh….. I find it massively overrated.

Popcorn movies everywhere. Academy, please pass

Danielle Deadwyler gave the performance of the year.

I remain Lady Gaga's BIGGEST FAN

estrelas
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/cakeblanchett_/status/1574410367442505729 A new TV spot for TAR!!! Literally shaking

Jane White
    Topics:

Mirren is not from this year.

nkb325
    Topics:

I have a feeling the globes are gonna nominated Don’t Worry Darling somewhere just for the chaos. Pugh is probably the most likely spot, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Styles got in either. I don’t think it’s going to translate to any oscar nominations, but I’m just anticipating it happening and everyone briefly losing their minds lol

Jane White
    Topics:

I think Pugh has a chance with The Wonder, Sebastián Lelio is a highly acclaimed director and the movie comes out at the end of the year and Netflix doesn’t have any actress priority.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.