Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 8)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 510 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Selma Linda
Uri_Urusha
Anna Delvey

• MichelleReign
    Topics:

Then the very next two years they were bottling their awards chance left and right partly due to wanting to have all the cake left them with no focus in the awards season

It’s also because the person/team who used to work for A24’s awards campaign left them for Netflix in 2018

FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

I mean at this point Cate blanchett will win her third oscar. She was in two best picture nominees last year and she was really good in those too. Nightmare alley and Don’t look up just last year kept blanchett on the academy’s radar and now with those raves, she will win a third oscar. It has been ten years since Blue Jasmine. I love viola davis in the right role but she just doesnt have the versatility. Yeoh is overrated and that performance can be snubbed. Critics and woke twitter are pushing her but the academy skews older. I think another woc in a traditionl oscar vehicle has more chance. Hopefully deadwyler and ackie make it in over yeoh and davis.Those performances have a better shot with oscar voters.

Define woke?

Mladen
    Topics:

People have gone too far with the “overdue” talk.

No, Robbie is not overdue for an Oscar.
    No, Blanchett is not overdue for the third.
    No, Davis is not overdue for the second.
    No, Yeoh is not overdue for her first.

But… We don’t live in a bubble where only these actresses exist.

Yeoh personally is not overdue, but it is time for Academy to acknowledge the Asian talent properly. Couple it with bold and brilliant performance and it doesn’t matter whether anyone thinks she should have already won. Davis is not personally overdue, but it is time we have more black winners in this category. Blanchett is not overdue for third, but if Streep and McDormand could have got their third for THOSE performances, Blanchett can for “TAR” too. Robbie is not overdue for an Oscar, but she is already established actress and Oscar would be a recognition of her work.

That is the thing… No one is overdue, but there are many other factors in play, not least the brilliant performances these women gave. Not to speak that we need more versatility in nominations and yes, winners.

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: Steven Spielberg
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Claire Foy/Jessie Buckley

loudtoilet
    Topics:

The most frustating thing about A24 is that they are so inconsistent with their awards campaign. Moonlight and Lady Bird were major hits awards wise Then the very next two years they were bottling their awards chance left and right partly due to wanting to have all the cake left them with no focus in the awards season (2018 they had Eight Grade, First Reformed and Hereditary. 2019 with The Farewell and Uncut Gems). 

Apples and oranges. Those other movies weren’t accessible like Moonlight and Lady Bird and The Farewell was totally upstaged by Parasite. I know that this forum has a hard-on for Hereditary but it was not going to happen, ever. It was straight up horror not a social commentary via horror like Get Out. It wasn’t a boxoffice phenomenon like Sixth Sense. Only Aster and especially Collette stans thought it had a shot but stans are very good at convincing themselves and sceptics so there you have it.

First Reformed’s writer-director made more accessible movie last year (name escapes me) that was handled by Focus a studio with very consistent awards traction. It fared as well as First Reformed because the writer-director just isn’t AMPAS thing. And neither are Aster and Safdies. It isn’t always the studio campaign. if your movie has no appeal to the voters, no amount of campaigning is gonna save it.

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Is there anything official on Golda yet? I can’t find anything recent online, apparently it was pushed to next year but can’t confirm. I ask only because Queen Helen is in the predictions centre across the board at 100/1 and we know the Globes/SAG love her/a transformative role. Could it be a very late release? Thanks in advance!

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

wallflower
    Topics:

I read the script of Babylon last year and if it is still the same the trailer was a little misleading:

1. Margot and Calva are co-lead but Margot’s character is the most interesting and has the better scenes. There are scenes where there’s just Diego and there are scenes where there’s just Margot.

2. Margot’s role is similar (in the way it was written) to something DOR would have written for JLaw, think of SLPB but in a edgier way.

3. Pitt is definitely supporting and not that interesting imho.

4. Jean Smart’s character has just a couple of scenes, it is funny but not that much to grant a nomination.

5. Li Jun Li as Anna May Wong has the best scenes (at least 5/6) and is the most interesting character.

H_H_
    Topics:

I read the script of Babylon last year and if it is still the same the trailer was a little misleading: 1. Margot and Calva are co-lead but Margot’s character is the most interesting and has the better scenes. There are scenes where there’s just Diego and there are scenes where there’s just Margot. 2. Margot’s role is similar (in the way it was written) to something DOR would have written for JLaw, think of SLPB but in a edgier way. 3. Pitt is definitely supporting and not that interesting imho. 4. Jean Smart’s character has just a couple of scenes, it is funny but not that much to grant a nomination. 5. Li Jun Li as Anna May Wong has the best scenes (at least 5/6) and is the most interesting character.

It’s crazy some have her winning. There’s not much there for a nom less for a win.

Tired of biopics and ham

wallflower
    Topics:

It’s crazy some have her winning. There’s not much there for a nom less for a win.

At the beginning I was 80% positive she would have won based on the script, but then I watched the trailer and didn’t like it at all. I think she’ll get nominated but won’t win.

nevkm
    Topics:

They moved Rooney Mara to lead 👀

wallflower
    Topics:

They moved Rooney Mara to lead 👀

I mean, her character from the book is the only one who could be lead, even though I still think it is more of an ensemble scenario

Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Woke Twitter is pushing Yeoh? Are you a moron or just racist?

Racist towards us Asians I suppose.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

First Reformed’s writer-director made more accessible movie last year (name escapes me) that was handled by Focus a studio with very consistent awards traction. It fared as well as First Reformed because the writer-director just isn’t AMPAS thing. And neither are Aster and Safdies. It isn’t always the studio campaign. if your movie has no appeal to the voters, no amount of campaigning is gonna save it.

Schrader’s The Card Counter?  That definitely was not more accessible than even First Reformed. Awards bodies that lauded films like American Sniper or Zero Dark Thirty were never gonna touch a movie as absolutely condemning as Card Counter and Focus knew that. Movie whips ass tho.

Anyway, not really relevant, just saying. I think A24 can campaign very well when they want to but there is a reality of a scarcity of resources. They’ve flopped on a number of movies that should have had strong awards traction. Just last year C’mon C’mon was completely ignored despite its praise because A24 failed to coalesce around one option and floundered in all their award potentials. This year I do think they know EEAAO is their horse alongside Fraser in actor and are circling resources around it, which has shown. So I think it will fare more like, I dunno, Minari and less like First Reformed or Eighth Grade (justice for both)

estrelas
    Topics:

I read the script of Babylon last year and if it is still the same the trailer was a little misleading: 2. Margot’s role is similar (in the way it was written) to something DOR would have written for JLaw, think of SLPB but in a edgier way.

Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

I mean at this point Cate blanchett will win her third oscar. She was in two best picture nominees last year and she was really good in those too. Nightmare alley and Don’t look up just last year kept blanchett on the academy’s radar and now with those raves, she will win a third oscar. It has been ten years since Blue Jasmine. I love viola davis in the right role but she just doesnt have the versatility. Yeoh is overrated and that performance can be snubbed. Critics and woke twitter are pushing her but the academy skews older. I think another woc in a traditionl oscar vehicle has more chance. Hopefully deadwyler and ackie make it in over yeoh and davis.Those performances have a better shot with oscar voters.

You might want to think about what you just wrote because you could get yourself beaten up……………

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 510 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.