Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 553 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Anna Delvey
Rachel615
kamila

• MD
    Topics:

Isn’t BAFTA before SAG this season? It’s gonna be interesting to see what SAG does.

Brayfers
    Topics:
    1. Blanchett
    2. Yeoh
    3. Williams
    4. Davis
    5. Robbie

Letterboxd: Brayfers

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

give Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, & Stephanie Hsu their Oscars now !!

FYC:
    - Severance
    - Euphoria
    - Stranger Things
    - Hacks
    - Abbott Elementary
    - House of the Dragon

nkb325
    Topics:

I know it’s just twitter but these immediate reactions for Deadwyler in Till are kind of better than I’ve ever seen for an actor since I’ve been on twitter, so if mainstream reviews are even near this level I’d say she has a pretty good shot.

Matt Neglia, NextBestPicture: “Danielle Deadwyler gives an emotionally powerful & awe-inspiring performance for the history books.”

Clayton Davis: “We have Denzel Washington’s single teardrop. We have Viola Davis’ runny nose. And now, we have Danielle Deadwyler’s lip quiver, expertly executed in Chinonye Chukwu’s deeply moving drama “Till.””

David Canfield, Vanity Fair: “TILL: Danielle Deadwyler is truly *incredible* here, w/ several scenes that took my breath away. She anchors Chukwu’s artful, sensitive & nuanced vision. The one performance this season I haven’t been able to shake—that raw, and that good.”

And there are many more

jjjmoss
    Topics:

Since nonzero people are still thinking De Armas has a good shot, looked back to imdb/metacritic, and the record for overall lowest in the modern era (i.e. when the sites existed) is Cate Blanchett as Queen Elizabeth, 68+45 = 113.

Blonde is 57+49=106.

And obviously Cate was an Oscar winner in a totally generic basic Oscarbait as an English queen, 3 factors that the other actress lacks.

MysticMagix
    Topics:

If they woulda just casted ana as marilyn in a normal biopic shed prob win.

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Clement
    Topics:

I just really hope this season people stop with the “international voters won’t go for a film like this” nonsense that was used last year to proclaim upsets for Kodi and Benedict.

Anna Delvey
    Topics:

Matt Neglia, NextBestPicture: “Danielle Deadwyler gives an emotionally powerful & awe-inspiring performance for the history books.”

Performative nonsense. I am loving these raves, but not from him. He and his dumb site are only making room for Danielle because they are now believers in Robbie going supporting. They never support Black women, so don’t be fooled. He has Olivia and JLaw(!) ahed of Viola. Lololololololll.

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Just saw The Woman King and Viola is definitely not locked like I thought she’d be. She was definitely great, but she’s nowhere near Oscar-worthy like I expected. It also doesn’t help that she’s not the sole lead. Plus, the movie’s merely good and could very likely miss Picture. But a nomination would not be undeserved so I’m still reservedly rooting for her.

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

Uri Urusha
    Topics:

Just saw The Woman King and Viola is definitely not locked like I thought she’d be. She was definitely great, but she’s nowhere near Oscar-worthy like I expected. It also doesn’t help that she’s not the sole lead. Plus, the movie’s merely good and could very likely miss Picture. But a nomination would not be undeserved so I’m still reservedly rooting for her.

I also don’t know if viola will make the final cut.depends on how other upcoming films do at box office. But the 3 that seems almost locked to me r Williams, yeoh,blanchett.

Anna Delvey
    Topics:

I am seeing more and more of this and it’s concerning

wolfali
    Topics:

Isn’t BAFTA before SAG this season? It’s gonna be interesting to see what SAG does.

Karma for the mess SAG brought us last year 😂…

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

moonshineandmollyxo
    Topics:

If they woulda just casted ana as marilyn in a normal biopic shed prob win.

Not with all of the ridiculous comments she’s been making during the press tour. I think she’s very talented. But when she speaks she makes it hard to root for her. She needs a publicist or something to reign her in. So many of her comments make me cringe. Chris Evans told her she’d win the Oscar. Everyone started crying when she put on the wig because it felt like Marilyn was back. She went to Marilyn’s grave to ask for permission to play her (even though Marilyn was cremated). Marilyn’s ghost haunted the set and threw things when she was angry. ???

Why is she incapable of just giving a regular interview? “It was an honor to play her” “I’m a huge fan of her work” etc. Instead, her answers put Gaga to shame. Every comment she makes is more ridiculous than the last.

GD
    Topics:

I have the exact same thought. And Viola keeps posting about how good the reviews are on Rotten Tomatoes (99% audience score?!) but on IMDB The Woman King is at 6,2 and on Metacritic the audience score is 2,6… it’s not universally acclaim like people think

Anna Delvey
    Topics:

I have the exact same thought. And Viola keeps posting about how good the reviews are on Rotten Tomatoes (99% audience score?!) but on IMDB The Woman King is at 6,2 and on Metacritic the audience score is 2,6… it’s not universally acclaim like people think

Oh my god, how many times does this need to be explained to people. The movie was review-bombed on both sites and because neither site did anything about it, those scores still stand. RT uses ratings from verified accounts — aka people who can prove they have seen the movie — hence the near-perfect scores. The movie is an unequivocal audience hit (99% RT, A+ CS) and it’s funny that people are STILL trying to deny it.

MysticMagix
    Topics:

Lol at the viola comments. If she went supporting she prob would win, but shes def getting nominated for lead actress.

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 553 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.