Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 553 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Anna Delvey
Rachel615
kamila

• Rachel615
    Topics:

I saw Till today and the reviews you may have read are accurate— Danielle Deadwyler is just extraordinary in a performance that dominates and elevates a film I liked a great deal but for reasons I’ll try to explain in the BP and Director thread, did not unqualifiedly love.  I haven’t seen Tar yet (or The Fabelmans or Babylon) but I think I may have just seen the Oscar winning Best Actress performance. This is a tough film to sit through, but I’m confident we’ll be talking about Deadwyler’s performance for generations. She might not win, but if enough people actually watch the film, I can’t imagine a world in which she’s not nominated.

kamila
    Topics:

Everything I’m hearing about Deadwyler makes me feel more confident that she could show up everywhere.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

I still have yet to see The Fabelmans, Babylon, Causeway, and Tar, but I can confidently say Danielle Deadwyler won’t lose to Viola Davis or Michelle Yeoh. Neither one of those talented women get a chance to showcase their acting abilities in their films the way Deadwyler does. I honestly think her biggest battle will be up against Cate Blanchett. Will other ladies even be able to challenge them? Will their respective screenplays be able to give them even half the material it gave Danielle to shine, go full range, and knock it out the park?

Wow even yeoh ?

Topics:

Rachel615
    Topics:

I still have yet to see The Fabelmans, Babylon, Causeway, and Tar, but I can confidently say Danielle Deadwyler won’t lose to Viola Davis or Michelle Yeoh. Neither one of those talented women get a chance to showcase their acting abilities in their films the way Deadwyler does.
    I honestly think her biggest battle will be up against Cate Blanchett.

This is interesting because while I absolutely agree that based solely on who gave the best acting performance in the film for which she could be nominated this year, between Deadwyler, Davis and Yeoh, I’d give the Oscar to Deadwyler; they’re all great but this year, Deadwyler has the role which gave her the best chance to showcase her acting talents. Nonetheless, I’m not (yet?) confident that Davis or Yeoh can’t beat Deadwyler because so many different factors go into an Oscar win. There’s no question in my mind that to date, both Davis and Yeoh have had far greater (and culturally and historically far more “important”) careers than Deadwyler has as yet had, and I could easily see, and be HAPPY to see, Davis or Yeoh rewarded not only for their great 2022 performance, but for their careers.

ejaru1810
    Topics:

Deadwyler is the one that could put up a fight at critics groups with Blanchett. However, being in a group where most of the contenders will be in bigger films could affect her chances for the win. I do believe Deadwyler will have the most emotional role of all.

Top 5 Alphabetical
    -Blanchett
    -Davis
    -Deadwyler
    -Williams
    -Yeoh

*Spoiler: Robbie, Ackie

Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

This is interesting because while I absolutely agree that based solely on who gave the best acting performance in the film for which she could be nominated this year, between Deadwyler, Davis and Yeoh, I’d give the Oscar to Deadwyler; they’re all great but this year, Deadwyler has the role which gave her the best chance to showcase her acting talents. Nonetheless, I’m not (yet?) confident that Davis or Yeoh can’t beat Deadwyler because so many different factors go into an Oscar win. There’s no question in my mind that to date, both Davis and Yeoh have had far greater (and culturally and historically far more “important”) careers than Deadwyler has as yet had, and I could easily see, and be HAPPY to see, Davis or Yeoh rewarded not only for their great 2022 performance, but for their careers.

I need to see Till when it’s released but after looking at the trailer, I can see Deadwyler being a threat and I truly hope so! ❤️

Topics:

Whirlwind
    Topics:

Been sensing a Deadwyler Drama Globe win for a minute now and feel even more comfortable with it. Wouldn’t be shocked if she won a trifecta or NBR either.

Heptapod
    Topics:

GOLDEN GLOBE – DRAMA
    Naomi Ackie
    Cate Blanchett
    Olivia Colman
    Jennifer Lawrence
    Michelle Williams

GOLDEN GLOBE – COMEDY/MUSICAL
    Lesley Manville
    Keke Palmer
    Margot Robbie
    Emma Thompson
    Michelle Yeoh

SCREEN ACTORS GUILD
    Naomi Ackie
    Cate Blanchett
    Viola Davis
    Margot Robbie
    Michelle Yeoh

CRITICS CHOICE
    Naomi Ackie
    Cate Blanchett
    Danielle Deadwyler
    Margot Robbie
    Michelle Williams
    Michelle Yeoh

BAFTAS
    Cate Blanchett
    Olivia Colman
    Sally Hawkins
    Jennifer Lawrence
    Emma Thompson
    Michelle Yeoh

ACADEMY AWARDS
    Naomi Ackie
    Cate Blanchett
    Margot Robbie
    Michelle Williams
    Michelle Yeoh

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

This year… oh lord

Mladen
    Topics:

I love how this year is shaping up to become one of those rare events in which we would have a lineup made of 5 truly Oscar-worthy performances. It does seem like we will all love the winner and hate that our favorite didn’t win. Complex emotions incoming…

My ideal lineup: Blanchett, Davis, Deadwyler, Williams and Yeoh.

Pick your winner, you won’t make a mistake.

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Been sensing a Deadwyler Drama Globe win for a minute now and feel even more comfortable with it. Wouldn’t be shocked if she won a trifecta or NBR either.

I dunno about a globe or a trifecta (I think blanchett is firmly the one to beat for the former and I think the latter will be divvied between her and Yeoh, plus the trifecta almost only touch universally acclaimed fare), but I can see the NBR so clearly it might as well be so.

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

Manav
    Topics:

BAFTAS

Cate Blanchett

Olivia Colman

Sally Hawkins

Jennifer Lawrence

Emma Thompson

Michelle Yeoh  

Nice but Olivia Colman?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 553 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.