Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 553 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Anna Delvey
Rachel615
kamila

• NevadaR
    Topics:

Does anyone know how many of the top best contenders films have been screened by the HFPA yet? If any??

I don’t think there were any screenings for HFPA. Bahiana hasn’t tweeted about any of the contenders and she normally likes to post and talk about the movies she has been watching.

Justmimusicmon
    Topics:

Does anyone know how many of the top best contenders films have been screened by the HFPA yet? If any??

I suppose it might be too early for them. Thank you.

Hawk
    Topics:

October Early Predictions:

Strongest Contenders:
    1 Cate Blanchett: self-explanatory
    2 Michelle Yeoh: self-explanatory

Strong Contenders:
    3 Michelle Williams: in a best picture front runner that will likely score tons of nominations, only held back by the category fraud.
    4 Danielle Deadwyler: I’m a bit worried voters might not see her film because of the subject matter, but she is truly getting raves for this role. People are saying she should be part of the winning conversation. I think getting the nomination is going to be her biggest hurdle.
    5 Margot Robbie: waiting for the official reviews to come out to move her up on the list, but judging by the rumors/leaks she’s got a really baity role in a film that is likely to be a big player on Oscar night.
    6 Viola Davis: in a critically acclaimed box office hit, is an Academy darling at this point imo, but might be crowded out by the fierce competition this year.
    7 Naomi Ackie: the trailer was a bit of a disappointment, but Anthony McCarten has such an amazing track record when it comes to biopics that you cannot count her out. She could easily become a late breaker that takes this race by storm.

Weaker Contenders:
    8 Olivia Colman: I was one of the people that had Olivia in for the Lost Daughter from day 1 and stood by her side when people were speculating that she would get snubbed. I do not see her making it in for this movie based on how mediocre the reviews are. I don’t believe that Empire of Light is going to be much of a player at all this year. If she is able to overcome that, it will really prove that she is the “new Meryl Strep” awards wise.
    9 Jennifer Lawrence: she’s got great reviews, but it is being described as a quiet performance which I feel like could very easily get lost in the noise this year. That being said, she is Jennifer Lawrence and with Apple backing her it certainly is possible she makes the cut.

Weak Contender:
    10 Carey Mulligan: I don’t have a lot of faith in She Said, but maybe it gets raves and takes her along with it.

Heptapod
    Topics:

The thing about I Wanna Dance with Somebody is that both Kasi Lemmons and Anthony McCarten have proven multiple times each that they can get their actors nominated for deeply mediocre projects (remember that the former directed half the episodes of Octavia Spencer’s Self-Made). As long as critics don’t hate IWDWS (anywhere above 65-70 on RT), I think Ackie is very comfortably on her way.

She’s also pretty much the only major contender playing a recognizable capital-F Figure. The Academy eats that UP, and in a year where virtually everyone else is playing a fictional character or someone who is not a household name (Deadwyler, Mulligan), I suspect a lot of the attention that is usually split between various biopics will concentrate around Ackie.

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

Anna Delvey
    Topics:

The thing about I Wanna Dance with Somebody is that both Kasi Lemmons and Anthony McCarten have proven multiple times each that they can get their actors nominated for deeply mediocre projects (remember that the former directed half the episodes of Octavia Spencer’s Self-Made). As long as critics don’t hate IWDWS (anywhere above 65-70 on RT), I think Ackie is very comfortably on her way. She’s also pretty much the only major contender playing a recognizable capital-F Figure. The Academy eats that UP, and in a year where virtually everyone else is playing a fictional character or someone who is not a household name (Deadwyler, Mulligan), I suspect a lot of the attention that is usually split between various biopics will concentrate around Ackie.

Sure, but Best Actress is more stacked than it’s ever been. Contending for what will inevitably be a critically panned film wouldn’t hurt as much if the the race was less crowded and her film wasn’t premiering so late. It’s gonna have zero pre-release hype since it isn’t screening anywhere (understandable since they were doing reshoots in fucking August). I also wonder whether she and Danielle as rising stars playing real people will siphon votes from each other.

GoldenLibra
    Topics:

Naomi Ackie is not getting nominated over Viola Davis, Olivia Colman and Danielle Deadwyler. I know you can’t based things off of a trailer but she would have to give a hell of a performance to have that be the outcome. I do think she could make GG.

Right now Blanchett, Davis, Deadwyler, Williams and Yeoh seems like the likeliest scenario. The biggest question is will Olivia Colman pull an Olivia Colman.

kamila
    Topics:

Naomi Ackie is not getting nominated over Viola Davis, Olivia Colman and Danielle Deadwyler. I know you can’t based things off of a trailer but she would have to give a hell of a performance to have that be the outcome. I do think she could make GG. 

Not over Deadwyler at this rate but why not the others? If The Woman King doesn’t make it into Best Picture (which isn’t necessarily a stretch – there are blockbusters coming down the pipe and other films on the bubble with strong contenders like The Whale), what is Davis’s argument? It’s not enough to just be a big name in the race this year, and Davis isn’t even arguably the sole lead of her film. There’s no guarantee in this field that she’s going to collect enough #1 votes by the time Oscar voting rolls around.

Mladen
    Topics:

Some reactions from NYFF

I understand that this may be a friendly audience for Blanchett, but this speaks that movie is not as inaccessible as some may have thought/claimed/believed/hoped. Blanchett certainly has gained a momentum the past month between Venice, Telluride and now New York. The movie premiere is in couple of days, so we’ll see how it’ll work. I doubt it will earn big bucks, but that is not what we have expected from it.

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: Steven Spielberg
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Claire Foy/Jessie Buckley

Brayfers
    Topics:

GOLDEN GLOBE – DRAMA:

• Blanchett
    • Williams
    • Deadwyler
    • Ackie
    • Davis

GOLDEN GLOBE – COMEDY:

• Yeoh
    • Robbie
    • Palmer
    • Thompson
    • Manville

SAG:

• Blanchett
    • Yeoh
    • Davis
    • Robbie
    • Williams

CRITICS CHOICE:

• Blanchett
    • Yeoh
    • Williams
    • Deadwyler
    • Davis
    • Robbie
    • Ackie

BAFTA:

• Blanchett
    • Yeoh
    • Davis
    • Deadwyler
    • Russell
    • Swinton

OSCAR:

• Blanchett
    • Yeoh
    • Williams
    • Deadwyler
    • Davis

Letterboxd: Brayfers

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

give Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, & Stephanie Hsu their Oscars now !!

FYC:
    - Severance
    - Euphoria
    - Stranger Things
    - Hacks
    - Abbott Elementary
    - House of the Dragon

ejaru1810
    Topics:

Naomi Ackie is not getting nominated over Viola Davis, Olivia Colman and Danielle Deadwyler.

We should never underestimate the Academy’s love for biopics. I don’t have Ackie in but she has a baity role.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

I’m not going to rehash how amazing Cate is in Tar. You can see my thoughts in the Tar thread. Obviously, there’s still quite a bit to see, but I think the race is over in this field. Cate Blanchett is winning her 3rd Oscar next year. At least the other ladies are going to lose to a GOAT performance, that rarely ever happens! But yeah, it’s over in my eyes. Ain’t no way the other 6 I have left to see will even come close. Ain’t no way.

She is winning the trifecta that’s for sure

ejaru1810
    Topics:

GG Drama
    -Ackie
    -Blanchett
    -Davis
    -Deadwyler
    -Williams

GG Comedy
    -Palmer
    -Robbie
    -Taylor-Joy
    -Thompson
    -Yeoh

CC
    -Blanchett
    -Davis
    -Deadwyler
    -Robbie
    -Williams
    -Yeoh

BAFTA
    -Blanchett
    -Deadwyler
    -Robbie
    -Russell
    -Thompson
    -Wei

SAG
    -Ackie
    -Blanchett
    -Davis
    -Robbie
    -Yeoh

OSCAR
    -Blanchett
    -Deadwyler
    -Robbie
    -Williams
    -Yeoh

jamjonesjames
    Topics:

Not over Deadwyler at this rate but why not the others? If The Woman King doesn’t make it into Best Picture (which isn’t necessarily a stretch – there are blockbusters coming down the pipe and other films on the bubble with strong contenders like The Whale), what is Davis’s argument? It’s not enough to just be a big name in the race this year, and Davis isn’t even arguably the sole lead of her film. There’s no guarantee in this field that she’s going to collect enough #1 votes by the time Oscar voting rolls around.

Her argument would be that her performance was great and that her movie was just as good and is a likely Best Picture nominee. Viola has only been the sole lead in a movie 1 time and that was for Widows which she wasn’t nominated for. All her Best Actress nominations were for co-lead performances. It is very hard for a woman of color to get to be the sole lead in a movie especially for Viola’s age. Considering The Woman King will be on streaming by the time voting starts I think Viola will be safe for a nomination. I don’t think she’ll win but it’s too early to tell.

Norma Jeane
    Topics:

Blonde is a masterpiece and Ana De Armas is spectacular and will be nominated for an Oscar.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 553 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.