Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 552 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Rachel615
kamila
jjjmoss

• snowball
    Topics:

I believe Cate will be the critics darling but I’m NOT sure if she will win the precursors.

Most Best Actress winners do great with critics tho’. I don’t think we will get a race similar to last season when no contender had their movies nominated in BP and neither got a BAFTA nom. Whoever gets the British bloc support will win. I think it will be between Blanchett and Yeoh there since they will have the strongest movies.

FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

I think this year can/will be Yeoh vs Blanchet.

Yeoh has been nominated for BAFTA before. She could be a threat there.

With Davis winning this category twice at SAG, I think there will be a Yeoh vs Blanchet showdown at SAG.

Golden Globe:
    Drama – Cate
    Comedy – Michelle

Critic’s Choice:
    Cate vs Michelle

If Blanchet is undeniable, she will get that 3rd Oscar but that could be her biggest obstacle.

H_H_
    Topics:

If Blanchet is undeniable, she will get that 3rd Oscar but that could be her biggest obstacle.

That’s what we all said about McDormand and most of us had her in fourth  🤣 And this one would not even be Blanchett’s third in lead but second.

kamila
    Topics:

Blanchett has a great record of getting nominated at SAG, but she has fewer wins than you might expect. If there are any potential weaknesses in her precursors run, it’s probably there. Davis is undeniably a SAG favorite even when her films aren’t strong, which isn’t even the case this time since The Woman King is doing well. I don’t think that means Yeoh doesn’t have a shot at SAG but that could be a very split vote across the three.

The interesting thing is that CC is back to being before SAG this year. They will have to take their own cues.

Globes – Blanchett (Drama) and Yeoh (Comedy)
    CC – Yeoh
    SAG – Yeoh/Davis
    BAFTA – Blanchett
    Oscar – Yeoh/Blanchett

FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

That’s what we all said about McDormand and most of us had her in fourth 🤣 And this one would not even be Blanchett’s third in lead but second.

True.

McDormand was in, however, a horribly weak year. Plus, her movie was much better than the other films (personal opinion). Cate can still get that third Oscar. She is an undeniable talent that has the filmography to back up her talent.

FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

That’s what we all said about McDormand and most of us had her in fourth 🤣 And this one would not even be Blanchett’s third in lead but second.

True.

McDormand was in, however, a horribly weak year. Plus, her movie was much better than the other films (personal opinion). Cate can still get that third Oscar. She is an undeniable talent that has the filmography to back up her talent.

Bassett
    Topics:

. True. McDormand was in, however, a horribly weak year. Plus, her movie was much better than the other films (personal opinion). Cate can still get that third Oscar. She is an undeniable talent that has the filmography to back up her talent.

How was McDormand in a weak year when literally every other contender had enough juice and hype to win a major award ?

Admittedly Frances was in the Best Picture sweeper which definitely helped her case, but no way she was in a weak race when any of the 5 nominees had a legit chance to win

FYC

AOTY - Renaissance

Angela Bassett, Michelle Yeoh, Brian Tyree Henry.

ejaru1810
    Topics:

Blanchett/Davis and Robbie/Yeoh at GG are gonna be pretty interesting races.  And before anyone comes for me, yes, Robbie is a threat at the GG.

ejaru1810
    Topics:

any of the 5 nominees had a legit chance to win

Day wasn’t happening without SAG and BAFTA nods and Kirby was never seen as a big player that year.

FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

How was McDormand in a weak year when literally every other contender had enough juice and hype to win a major award ?

Admittedly Frances was in the Best Picture sweeper which definitely helped her case, but no way she was in a weak race when any of the 5 nominees had a legit chance to win

The year was slightly competitive but the group of nominees were weak. Their performances did absolutely NOTHING. Neither outside of McDormand was worth the nod (personal opinion).

snowball
    Topics:

The thing with Deadwyler is that I don’t see her winning SAG let alone BAFTA. And both Yeoh and Blanchett are in much stronger movies. And there’s also Williams who might be in the BP frontrunner and Robbie if Babylon is good.  LMAO…the competition here is insane.

Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

I really wouldn’t count out Danielle Deadwyler here either. She is almost unquestionably going to get raves after the NYFF premiere on Saturday, and will, most likely, shoot up in the odds (I’ve had her in since Day 1). But her chances depend on whether enough people see the movie. (I agree about SAG and BAFTA being a tough climb though.)

Beastialg
    Topics:

Right now I’m predicting

1) Michelle Yeoh
    2) Cate Blanchett
    3) Michelle Williams
    4) Viola Davis

and a surprise 5th nominee

kamila
    Topics:

I really wouldn’t count out Danielle Deadwyler here either. She is almost unquestionably going to get raves after the NYFF premiere on Saturday, and will, most likely, shoot up in the odds (I’ve had her in since Day 1). But her chances depend on whether enough people see the movie. (I agree about SAG and BAFTA being a tough climb though.)

I’m counting on Deadwyler being the story of NYFF. Blanchett is mostly just doing a victory lap there. She already backed up Venice with Telluride, so reactions will likely be more of the same. Deadwyler will be the new one on the scene along with a big promotional push for the message of the film. I just think she really needs some reviews that rave about Till as a whole to help her out.

MysticMagix
    Topics:

Deadwyler looks like taraji p henson.

Which makes me wish taraji got this role.

Also taraji was SNUBBED for hidden figures.

But yah i feel like deadwyler can suprise

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 552 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.