Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 553 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Anna Delvey
Rachel615
kamila

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Topics:

Topics:

UmOkaaayyyyy
    Topics:

I saw “Tar” last night and I can safely say, I DONT think Cate Blanchett will win Best Actress. Don’t get me wrong, she is stunningly brilliant in the film and will be nominated deservedly everywhere. I mean she learned to conduct an orchestra, she speaks French and German, she plays piano and the monologues are incredible… The problem is the film itself. It’s the definition of art house. It’s a very well made film, but wow, I would say the audience for it will be quite limited. It’s a challenging film and your average moviegoer, let alone, your awards voter may have trouble getting through it. She also plays a rather unlikable character which unfortunately can factor into some people’s voting choices. It’s a fascinating performance, but the film can seem elitist and inaccessible (and I actually liked it)….

With that being said and also having seen Viola, Danielle and Michelle Yeoh’s films already, I feel like this race is probably gonna come down to Deadwyler and Williams for the win. Of course, it’s still crazy early and they are all fantastic and deserving and my thoughts could change, so we’ll see….

Current thinking:
    1. Michelle Williams
    1. Danielle Deadwyler
    (I’m torn between the top two til I actually see “The Fablemans” though)
    3. Michelle Yeoh
    4. Viola Davis
    5. Cate Blanchett

I do feel like this could be our final five for most of the race too…. Exciting to see who can break them up and if I’m nuts with my assessment. Plus, I keep changing my mind. Will other voters do the same as time goes along?

Topics:

Topics:

Topics:

crabbie
    Topics:

As someone who thought Mia Goth was very average in X, I thought she was phenomenal in Pearl. She’s unhinged, but has moments of innocence and cheerfulness that I’m happy wasn’t exaggerated in her performance. She isn’t all cheery and all evil, there’s a certain balance to her demeanor that Goth encapsulates very well. On the other hand, I think Sweeney in Euphoria captures unhingeness very unnaturally and phony. Make Mia Goth an IT girl, Hollywood!

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Director: Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

Jaket1991
    Topics:

Do we not think even at critics awards the Shia relation will have some impact on her success? I think it will.

Rachel615
    Topics:

I saw “Tar” last night and I can safely say, I DONT think Cate Blanchett will win Best Actress. Don’t get me wrong, she is stunningly brilliant in the film and will be nominated deservedly everywhere. I mean she learned to conduct an orchestra, she speaks French and German, she plays piano and the monologues are incredible… The problem is the film itself. It’s the definition of art house. It’s a very well made film, but wow, I would say the audience for it will be quite limited. It’s a challenging film and your average moviegoer, let alone, your awards voter may have trouble getting through it. She also plays a rather unlikable character which unfortunately can factor into some people’s voting choices. It’s a fascinating performance, but the film can seem elitist and inaccessible (and I actually liked it)….

I also saw Tar yesterday and while I liked it, I agree with all of this. I think that the film and Blanchett in particular will do extremely well with critics groups, especially in the trifecta, and that Blanchett will make it into all of the precursors, but I predict that there will be some backlash to the reception the film has received, and I think that the movie will be torched in a number of the anonymous ballots.

Topics:

Topics:

crabbie
    Topics:

It is super funny the Yeoh “fan base” this year. Y’all can’t even name other films she’s in! So, just stop it, own up to the fact you’re looking for representation, but please stop it with Michelle Yeoh praise when you guys don’t even know her filmography! Just say y’all want representation, it’s not going to happen outside of the globes, but maybe y’all will be less annoying this way?

HOLD UP. Is this you turning against Yeoh because of people rooting for her? If I recall, she was your #1 before you saw Pearl and you had her in your top 2 for quite some time now.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Director: Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

laslo
    Topics:

Now we have prerequisites to be able to root for someone to win. If you watch a movie, like a performance and want it to receive some recognition, STOP, only people who know the actor’s entire filmography will be accepted.

Topics:
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 553 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.